Drop down beds

There is a common misconception by Volvo drivers that they can jam pack full a estate, I can still picture a old 760 estate turning up at a campsite with the back looking like it was on the bump stops.

These manufacturers really need sorting out. There is no standard for anything. Some come up with weights with driver, with fuel, with water, without addons while others do the complete opposite so they have a van under 3000kg with a 500kg payload. They cannot even build them the same weight in the factory. The real solution is the Dealer gets it weighed then everyone knows where they are. Our Laika came with a weigh ticket so we knew the weight of the vehicle as it stood in the showroom with it's extras. No water and a few litres of diesel. So no nonsense and no unrealistic expectations. Trouble is it doesn't stop there and the new owner wants to add his toys. The only problem is that he has no idea how much they all weigh and is not really interested. He has not been educated about payloads and does not realise what is going to happen if he hangs a tow bar off the back and sticks a scooter rack on it.

So what we need is Dealers who are truthful and well educated Motorhome owners who understand about payloads.

View attachment 75274

That’s it summed up perfectly for me QFour.
I really feel sorry for some newbie buying their first van going out in it overloaded, or coming onto a place like this and finding out when it’s to late that they have just made an awful mistake.
Yes vans should be sold with a weight certificate, and the basics of payload should be properly highlighted to those buying their vans.
But most importantly manufacturers should not be able to state that they have manufactured a 5 berth van with a tiny payload. There should be minimum payloads for berth categories, and the manner in which payloads are measured should be standardised.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back