Dowel pins and glue versus screws ?

jagmanx

I have made 2 clothes rack.
The 1st using a mortice joint and then torx screws to construct.
To provide rigidity 2 diagonal struts were used.
All good.
No 2 based on an A-frame end and using dowel pins instead of screws and using glue both for the pins and relevant surfaces.
No diagonals available and only 1 item with 2 dowel pins at each end.
Amazed so far as to how rigid it is.
I did view on youtube about how good wood glue is.
The author (Steve Ramsey) did recommend wood glue and inherently dowel pins.
He also recommended Torx screws.
Screws and glue would also be strong but why use screws if dowel pins will work.
I await the views of other more professional woodworkers !
Photos tomorrow.

Last edited:
Glued dowel pins are okay but it will depend on how much stress is put on them, a screw will pull two parts together and hold them there up to a point.

Not a pro, but have done a fair bit of DIY and I like the belt and braces approach to wood.

Reactions: Alf
Thanks Yes !
The pins are glued and also the two surfaces which are then clamped whilst the glue sets.
Steve Ramsey deliberately broke a glued joint.
The wood broke not the glue !
Just checked again.
The dowelled clothes rack seems amazingly rigid.
Previously I used mahogany timbers as stretchers between teak pillars.
So a mortice was cut in the pillars and the stretcher forced in to a well fitting mortice.
Then a nail driven diagonally , having first drilled the stretcher and also the pillar.
Teak is great , Mahogany too hard but then so strong.
Our internal wall are all as described above with either teak planks or quality plastic planks screwed to the 5 stretchers !

screws every time . think of them as steel dowels ! no clamps needed as the screw does the clamping . make sure screws are long enough - about 2/3rds doing the work . screwing into end grain no pilot hole necessary
i use a clamp on the side of the joint to keep everything lined up while i tighten the screws

I am very much a dowel and wood glue man myself worked in conjunction with lap joints, the olot clamped together for a long period of time in warmth so as to ensure the glue has fully set.

I do however keep a good selection and stock of stainless steel screws and some gorilla glue in emergency reserve just in case when out and about.

Screwed and glued. To much faffin with dowels and nice to give things a wee nip up if needed.

It largely depends on where the object is going to be and what it is doing, some will require Glue, glue and dowels, glue dowels and screws and some Glue and screws, any movement I'd say all three unless fastened to and solid fixture on at least three sides, one being the floor/ground, it's easier to build it solid in the first place mainly as that will be the best access you will have, than it would be to repair it.

With the triangulation the glue would be redundant which ever method. Without it, screws and glue would be my choice. Dowels without jigs can be a bit of a pain in the neck.

just finishing off a kitchen unit for a van today , i think i used this joint about 60 times in the construction . rock solid

Thanks to all.
Yes dowels a bit of a pfaff .
Yes Triangle would be rigid anyway but the sides would be prone to movement.
With all but one of the stretchers only having one fixing at the end.
Yes screws and glue quicker and strong.
The photo shows what I mean.
Pleasantly pleased how rigid it is.
IMG_20230115_072950_404.jpg

No rocking whatsoever !
I too thought it would be needed and have spare wood ready but not needed.
It seems glueing the faces where the dowels are used and clamping does the trick.
photo of house wallsSAM_0035.JPG
Mid construction..

Racking not rocking, and is normal practice, and more so for walls although staggered horizontal studding heights can do the same job.

Clothes horse.
Rocking horse.
Racking horse.....Presumably used to torture people ? Or transport wine.

:unsure: (y) 😇
No point in making a wine rack here..Decent wine is a stupid price.
And the local rum is very nice !
A tool rack is next on the todo list .

Last edited:
I have found that using screws on something that may rack can snap the screws. Nails are more forgiving than screws.

I have found that using screws on something that may rack can snap the screws. Nails are more forgiving than screws.
Thsnks will consider that ahead...I plan a stand for a drawer cabinet which is quite heavy so nails may be good along with....
The item in the image appears to be amazingly rigid and strong.
The legs are just over 1in square.
Prepared to mix and match !

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back