Dome Security Camera

ian81

Thinking of mounting a pair of these -one on either side of our A class for secrity. The wiring and software side is easy BUT

Has anybody done this? Any practical tips welcome!

Ian

Not sure what security you want ?
Obviously they will not stop anyone nicking it.but maybe footage is available to you via tinternet ?

it will record break ins / show external activity at night. Also can be viewed on the internet.

But my question really is abut the practicality of mounting these devices.

I worked on a large open site.
We had 20 pr so vameras with appropriate recording software.
Thefts occurred and the recordings were useless. Not because of low light but the miscreants wore hoodies or the like
This was several years ago and no doubt the quality of recordings is now better but.....
So how will the recordings or live viewing help ?

This works well.
dog.png

Ps I did get a trial of new dome cameras and software but not much better.
Also I believe many such recordimgs are not valid in law ?

Last place I worked some toerags came along and stole the Christmas tree lights outside reception. Took the lights then looked straight at the camera and stole that as well lol. As Jagmanx says because they wore hoodies and balaclavas the police couldn’t get any useful info.

In a van the external cameras are more useful for seeing what may be going on without alerting anyone to you being inside and maybe peace of mind.

You could always fit proximity sensors on the sides and front of the van and fit a switch to 'arm' them when needed.

There are various 12 volt types but the ones used for reversing warnings should be suitable. They have the advantage of being a 'real time' alert when connected to an alarm or notification to your phone.

I have used this type for other applications in the past and they work well. I had one rigged to an old dashcam in my garden shed with a small hole for the dashcam lens and another for the sensor. It worked well.

nowadays, cameras will be setup to activate on Motion and save footage to a cloud service, so it wouldn't matter if the cameras were stolen or even if the van was stolen in terms of having footage.
I found the main problem with most cameras is the night vision, but having said that, the camera I have in my Motorhome works well at night, it just reverts to monochrome.
I like the idea of external cameras for enhanced security.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back