Does this have legs?

You are right Barry, you can travel to other countries under the French 6 months visa. I haven't got a link but someone posted the wording from the French website and it said exactly that. You just have to leave and enter through France to and from UK. I shall be applying for it at the end of the summer.What a PIA, when I used to be a citizen.
I'd be interested to know how you get on. Any chance of posting progress. Maybe on this thread.

Hope it's not against the rules to point out that we can't expect these countries to alter the rules to accommodate us. We after all took the initiative that has resulted in the status quo.

I'd be interested to know how you get on. Any chance of posting progress. Maybe on this thread.

Hope it's not against the rules to point out that we can't expect these countries to alter the rules to accommodate us. We after all took the initiative that has resulted in the status quo.
Yes of course,no problem.I won't be applying untill end of July,August time.

as we crossed from spain into france the Douanne customs were at the first toll point and also as we pulled away could see them at a roundabout on the non toll section , they queried a french lorry driver but not myself or the dutch motorhomer alongside

At first sight, this looks like click bait from a Spanish lawyer..
But I'm the eternal optimist.

I'm living in Portugal, on health grounds , owning a property and we both have 5 year residency cards.
I currently bring cash in from the UK and spend it locally, on goods and services.
Keeping the local economy vibrant and paying VAT at 23% mainly.
Who , in their right minds, would expect folk like us to be refused entry?
When I use my UK credit cards, I congratulate the trader, for being a loyal Portuguese Importer.
They need our Sterling.

At first sight, this looks like click bait from a Spanish lawyer..
But I'm the eternal optimist.

I'm living in Portugal, on health grounds , owning a property and we both have 5 year residency cards.
I currently bring cash in from the UK and spend it locally, on goods and services.
Keeping the local economy vibrant and paying VAT at 23% mainly.
Who , in their right minds, would expect folk like us to be refused entry?
When I use my UK credit cards, I congratulate the trader, for being a loyal Portuguese Importer.
They need our Sterling.
Yes, we are in the same position , my only slight concern is if a political decision is made that ignores common sense. Might happen but I guess there would be other countries willing to import our sterling.

Yes, we are in the same position , my only slight concern is if a political decision is made that ignores common sense. Might happen but I guess there would be other countries willing to import our sterling.
What other countries.
Most countries have almost the same immigration laws.
The US, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand all have the same 90 day rule.
The EU model is the most common used worldwide.
Our 180 day in any 360 is quite unique.
I have no doubt that Spain would like to change its 90 day rule, but it would have to do this for all nationals not just ourselves. But they are unable to do so because they are part of the schengen, from which they enjoy not only free movement throughout Europe, but this helps to boost their economy. The question for Spain is, would unhindered access be more beneficial than remaining within the schengen, and I cannot see them going back to border controls between them and the rest of Europe, in order to satisfy our long stays in their country. The 90 day rule is fine for the vast majority, who head off to Spain every year for a fortnight in the sun. The only way this will change is if it applies EU wide, and I don’t reckon that is going to happen any time soon, if ever. In 2022 15.1 million brits holidayed in Spain, almost one I four of our population.

Last edited:
I suppose the most gutting thing about the whole thing is that supposedly we, the UK, were offered 180 days rather than 90, during the split...and turned it down.

I believe that option was on the table when they were discussing what would happen with touring Musicians etc. Our government weren't interested. There were even a few European MEP's fighting for it and retained citizenship for Brits and they certainly weren't interested in that either. We could easily have gained the 180 days in the deal as its exactly what we offer European countries. It smacked too much of "Freedom of movement" though which at the time was a dirty word(s). Ironically not so much now with all the staff shortages. Its all up for renewal next year anyway so maybe with a new Government in place it might be back on the table but dont hold your breath.

What other countries.
I have no doubt that Spain would like to change its 90 day rule, but it would have to do this for all nationals not just ourselves. But they are unable to do so because they are part of the schengen, from which they enjoy not only free movement throughout Europe, but this helps to boost their economy. The question for Spain is, would unhindered access be more beneficial than remaining within the schengen, and I cannot see them going back to border controls between them and the rest of Europe, in order to satisfy our long stays in their country. The 90 day rule is fine for the vast majority, who head off to Spain every year for a fortnight in the sun. The only way this will change is if it applies EU wide, and I don’t reckon that is going to happen any time soon, if ever. In 2022 15.1 million brits holidayed in Spain, almost one I four of our population.
I meant that If I get thrown out of Spain I will seek residency somewhere else. Haven't needed to research it yet.

What other countries.
I would also question if the majority of Spaniards would want to change the 90 day rule.

I meant that If I get thrown out of Spain I will seek residency somewhere else. Haven't needed to research it yet.
I don’t fancy your chances. Most countries are trying to limit migration.
But I suppose you could try, but from what I hear Spain is more welcoming than most.
I would also question if the majority of Spaniards would want to change the 90 day rule.
That would mean them leaving the Schengen, and I would doubt if most Spaniards would welcome that. I suppose those who live and work in the tourist resorts may well support change, whereas those living elsewhere would not.
Sadly these changes are a result of what we voted for, not the result of anything Spain or other countries changed.

What other countries.
25% visited Spain ? Seems high .
Suspect lots go twice+ a year

25% visited Spain ? Seems high .
Suspect lots go twice+ a year
I really don’t know.
But I would reckon the vast majority only go once a year.
But with current technology, I suspect it means what it says.
But I gave a 2022 figure of 15.1 million.
Well the 2023 figure is 17.3 million.

Last edited:
But I suppose you could try, but from what I hear Spain is more welcoming than most.

That would mean them leaving the Schengen, and I would doubt if most Spaniards would welcome that. I suppose those who live and work in the tourist resorts may well support change, whereas those living elsewhere would not.
Sadly these changes are a result of what we voted for, not the result of anything Spain or other countries changed.
Agreed.

The French are reintroducing border checks at their neighbours borders even on the small back roads.
Recently checked out leaving Andorra, they are more clued up then many think possible.
Comes down to do I feel lucky I guess

Yes , I am banking on not being thrown out but you never know.

I really don’t know.
But I would reckon the vast majority only go once a year.
But with current technology, I suspect it means what it says.
But I gave a 2022 figure of 15.1 million.
Well the 2023 figure is 17.3 million.

Interesting figures. I certainly go to Spain at least twice . Have several friends (yes really) who go half a dozen times . Suppose majority will be the annual summer holiday brigade

Back