Does anyone on here use Fonero

jennyp19

When I asked about using the internet while travelling, Ranndy suggested using Fonero. It looks very interesting, but before jumping in, I wondered if anyone knows of the pitfalls.

Have looked into this but rejected it as when I have travelled I have looked for their access points (mainly in Spain) which is where it started. In spite of information about where the access points are I have yet to verify any actually exist. On the surface it seems to be a good idea -you buy their access point and add it your internet connection and then you get reciprocal access but looking on their forums a common complaint seems to be that people don't play ball.
I cannot comment in detail about the UK as pricing of mobile internet on the mobile networks is now so cheap looking for Wifi access points and their associated costs is not worth it.

The continent is more difficult. In France the best suggestion is to route via the golden arches as all their restaurants have free Wifi.

Thanks for the reply, I did wonder if people played the game. I know I joined the site, and low and behold my address is on there as being a hot spot, but its not, as I didn't get the modem (or whatever you need to do), so that made me think that if that was the case for me ~ how many more were the same. It seems a shame, as the idea is spot on. I wonder if it will ever really happen, as so many people are willing to take, but not give back.
We have just come back from travelling and used mainly McDonalds free wifi as its in just about all the restaurants in France & Belgium, but not in Spain. I think it was Tmobile in Germany, and so didn't have access then.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back