Do you want to sell your motorhome mate ? What’s going on ? Is it a hustle ?

Shockingdog

Free Member
Last week I stoped at the local traffic lights in the van. A car pulled up alongside and the passenger shouted “ do you want to sell your Motorhome mate? No was my answer. Then this afternoon I was at home and there was a knock on the front door and a “gentleman” with an Irish sounding accent asked the same question” do you want to sell your motorhome ? No was my answer again. Then he said, but if you did what price would you want.?Same answers from me,NO . What’s going on ? Have other members experiences of this hustle ? What’s going on ?

Last week I stoped at the local traffic lights in the van. A car pulled up alongside and the passenger shouted “ do you want to sell your Motorhome mate? No was my answer. Then this afternoon I was at home and there was a knock on the front door and a “gentleman” with an Irish sounding accent asked the same question” do you want to sell your motorhome ? No was my answer again. Then he said, but if you did what price would you want.?Same answers from me,NO . What’s going on ? Have other members experiences of this hustle ? What’s going on ?

Had someone with an Irish accent knock on last week asking if I wanted to sell....

Politely declined and made sure I got pictures of his car/reg as he drove away...

Likely just a chancer

A neighbour had someone knock on their door asking who owned our moho (street parked) and whether she knew if we wanted to sell, even left her a business card and asked her to pass it on.

I think it's just business and it's a sellers market, if chap reckons he can get 30k and you say yes to 25k then it's a good days work

Yes I had one a couple or 3 weeks back same style of harassment would not take no for an answer.

In, I think, 2017, a guy knocked on the door and wanted to know exactly that - did I want to sell my motorhome? No. A few weeks later it was stolen. Coincidence? Never recovered. It took a couple of years before I replaced it. The thread I started then seems to have dropped off the forum by virtue of old age but you might be able to find it. Eventually I replaced the van - insurance doubled but I shopped around and got insured for almost the same cost as before the theft. Nothing happened for about a year - but I now have visible deterrents, wheel clamp, diskllok, driver;s seat revrsed. but from Christmas last I've had five callers wanting to know if the van is for sale. No - but they're hard to deter. Lancashire Police can't do anything. The constable replying by email told me of his frustration at not being able to do anything but pointed out that no crime had been committed.

Since Christmas there have been five (I've just counted; I thought there were more). I've taken registration numbrs and, with only one exception, the callers have been willng to leave their business cards or advertising leafltets. They are all tree surgeons and all, first, want to know if I have any trees want trimming and,... "while I'm here, is your van for sale?"

I've had one too.Strong Irish accent he was driving newish dark gray crew van. He insisted on a price if I did want to sell. Extra security gone into the van now plus cctv on the house.

I had one last week fitted a tracker now as well as the seat locked sideways and the pedals locked alarmed internal sounder think I have it covered
78EB6246-7391-40D2-98EC-18D70FBCA3EE.jpeg

Years ago I had an Irish man ask me the same answered not for sale, 4 nights later motorhome alarm went off at 3:00 am went and checked van to find O/S 1/4 light smashed, no one in sight by the time I got outside, reported it to the police who said they've had quite a few incidents the same, suspect it was some Irish travellers.

I had the same thing in West Lothian last week. A family in a crew van turned up, going from door to door, wanting to pressure wash drives on our street, and when I said no he tried to start a conversation asking if the motorhome was for sale because his father was looking for one.

I get asked and cards left on the windscreen quite often. If they don't ask then they will never get and quite a few may want to sell after not been able to use them for so long.

There is a camper like new sits across the road from brother inlaws home, never been moved in last 5 years and always on EHU from their garage, why do folk buy such expensive toys never to use them, baffles me.

Send them round to Oppy Towers, I'd gladly swap for a shed load of cash then buy one with hot water and a shower(y)

Travellers don’t do finance and don’t trust banks and dealers simply buy second hand vans and mark them up, so travellers want to buy as cheap as they can.

Now days they can’t just nick one and get away with it, so they look for cash deals, you can bet your life they will haggle you to death mind and not register the van in their name unless you get them to fill out the new owners details on the log book in your presence and let you post it off.

You also need get the cash into the bank that day, and stay up that night.

If they think their £40k is in your house they may we’ll be back.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back