Do you do that, too?

knollgardener1

This might be a strange posting to many here. But I tend to go on my holidays, camping or otherwise, trying to sample as much as possible the local produce available where I`m headed. Whilst camping I enjoy tasting and preparing the locallest foods around. Obviously when I`m going to Cornwall this September I shall try to buy freshly caught fish straight from the boats, hoping to eat myself silly on Newlyn Crabs and go hunting for local farm produce shops, to provide me with the tastiest and best there is going.
Anyone else do that sort of thing on their hols?
Sarina

Bit like that myself, but usualy it's the local beers on offer:D or Malts:D if over the border, but occaisionaly food is required and fresh local produce.:cool:

Happy Camping:)

I must admit I echo both previous posts, part of the travelling experience for me and an important one.

Channa

Osiyo Sarina, [nice name] When in Wiltshire I get local cheese...Wow! the strongest cheddar I have ever had the pleasure of fighting with. It bites back hard! The local Scrumpy is evil and at West Knowl you get bison [buffalo]....YUMIE!!! better than fillet steak. In Cornwall I tried the pasties. You get real apples in Kent. I have been in to a so called 'farm shop' in Devon and the spuds were prepacked from Kent or 'Jersey Royals'. They had French delicious apples and Spanish onions ??? How can you 'pick your own strawberries' when you haven't grown any? It's a nightmare! Keep an eye when you are traveling, for those little bungalows with a sign offering their own garden grown fruit or veg....At last! genuine stuff! Usually very cheep too!
Paol.

I also look for local farmers markets and pick the best of fruit and veg this way.
Being an organic kitchen gardener myself I tend to look for the propper stuff on holidays as well, lol. Venison or wild boar sausages I`m quite partial to when it comes to breakfasts or quick bbq`s.

By the way. Has anyone tried Sussex goats cheeses? I`m practically adicted to them. I just love their creamy taste and textures! Been to Shoreham Farmers market today and spent far too much on good grub. Looking forward to next weekend when we shall try out our campervan for the first time! BBQ and chilling is planned. Will stay at Maynards Caravan and Camping Site, near Arundel from Friday eve to Sunday afternoon. My partner is new to camping and wouldn`t want to wildcamp just as yet. Plans are afoot for that for next year, maybe in Wales or up to Scotland.

I used to love eating and drinking in the local Routiers when I drove European in the lorry and often took a bit of produce home with me. Never quite worked as well though and now that we can get any fruit or veg 24/7 it's kind of lost something don't you think.

Fresh and local is still miles ahead but you know what I mean, don't you?:confused::)

Referring back to what i posted earlier about the Devon 'farm shop'.
There is a farm shop just outside Southampton, that sells all manner of fruit, veg eggs etc. it is housed in a barn type building next to the thatched farm house. Looking every bit the sort of place you would expect to get fresh farm produce. All the items sold here, come from local wholesale outlets! The 'farm' is in fact a nursery, they grow plants!!!! Recommended if you want home grown daff's and a bush for tea!
Paol.

Local

Had local Whitby crab at the weekend and winkles so freshly cooked that some of them had managed to escape the heat of the cooking water and were still alive :eek: - the cooked ones were yummy tho :D
GOOD TIMES :D

Whitby crab

Chrissy you have set my taste buds off. Whitby crab salad, washed down with a Lge glass of white wine. then a gentle stroll around whitby harbour, can,t beat it.
Nig

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back