Do I Need a TV Licence for a Caravan or Motorhome?

bazzybabes

I just came across this interesting article.

As I am over 75 years old, although I still need a Television Licence, I don't need to pay as I get mine free.

However, to be able to view or record television in my motorhome, it appears I need to sign a declaration that when viewing in camper that my tv at home will not be being used at the same time!

Do I Need a TV Licence for a Caravan or Motorhome? - Snooper News & Views

Last edited:
Obviously true

But who can check and why and what then ?

Should it go to court I think the judge would say the Licence authority were in contempt of court for wasting their time

You dont require a tv licence at all,read what it says,<You require a tv licence to watch tv>so you can have one switched on as long as they cannot prove you were watching then ok,now how on earth would that stand up in court,not very many here have one,and no one can enter your home or prove you did watch it unless they can see what your eyes can see,its a big con dont fall for it as voluntary only,i listen to mine every day.

You dont require a tv licence at all,read what it says,<You require a tv licence to watch tv>so you can have one switched on as long as they cannot prove you were watching then ok,now how on earth would that stand up in court,not very many here have one,and no one can enter your home or prove you did watch it unless they can see what your eyes can see,its a big con dont fall for it as voluntary only,i listen to mine every day.

Think this may have been covered before . The licence (certainly previously) was for having equipment capable of receiving . You could tell what people were tuned to (watching or not) , whether they had colour etc .
That is if the guys in the van could be bothered to switch the equipment on !

So what you mean is not that you don't require one, but no one can prove you were watching TV.
Not quite the same thing, it is just you are knowingly breaking the law as you can get away with it.

Not any more

Think this may have been covered before . The licence (certainly previously) was for having equipment capable of receiving . You could tell what people were tuned to (watching or not) , whether they had colour etc .

Not any more (as you alluded to).
You can have a TV & watch something on it (e.g. a YouTube video) & do not need a licence.
You only need a licence if you are watching or recording something that is actually being broadcast at the moment you are watching it.

If you only watch streamed video, your own recordings, video previously downloaded etc. etc. you do not need a licence.

When I last looked nobody had ever been prosecuted using evidence from a 'detector van' or any other technical means. This may change in the future by using IP logs etc. with modern receivers.
It is nearly always only through the defendants admission of guilt that people are prosecuted.

As the official link provided by colinmd says, you do not need a licence for a motorhome if you have one for your home. The link provided by the OP confuses "mobile home" with motorhome". The definition of a mobile home is one that is capable of being moved but which is usually towed to a semi-permanent site. A licence may be needed for a mobile home if the television in it is used at the same time as the one at home. The same does not apply to a motorhome (or touring caravan).

So what you mean is not that you don't require one, but no one can prove you were watching TV.
Not quite the same thing, it is just you are knowingly breaking the law as you can get away with it.

No i dont watch it so im not breaking any law,read the licence agreement,i can listen though.
Anyway it is being discussed in parlament about scraping it in 2 years time as outdated nonsence.

The van can only read back emp signal from ariel,but if 2 on same c/pot they cant know witch house they just chance it and scare folk into admitting ,last vans here 10 years back but one went on fire accedent of course, other 2 sent back to england.

No i dont watch it so im not breaking any law,read the licence agreement,i can listen though.
Anyway it is being discussed in parlament about scraping it in 2 years time as outdated nonsence.

https://help.rnib.org.uk/help/money-benefits/concessions-discounts/tv-licence
"Having sight loss does not automatically entitle you to a free TV licence. However, if you are registered blind (severely sight impaired), you can get a 50 per cent reduction (called a blind concession) on the cost of your TV Licence."
On that basis, not watching but listening makes no difference to requiring a license.

And with due respect, I think I am more inclined to believe the advice of the RNIB over an individual on a forum who thinks he has found a way to get out of paying for a service.

As said before how could they prove your to was being watched at home ?? , don't sign anything it's all rubbish they haven't got the power people think they have , if they came to your home you haven't got to let them in at all , the old TVs director vans that you saw on tv years ago was a scam to frighten us lol , put to licence man on YouTube and you will laugh your socks off :lol-049:

The van can only read back emp signal from ariel,but if 2 on same c/pot they cant know witch house they just chance it and scare folk into admitting ,last vans here 10 years back but one went on fire accedent of course, other 2 sent back to england.

Strictly speaking not true , the signal was picked up from the 'offending' set . Very straightforward in a street of bungalows , trickier in tenements etc . The 'offence' could be proven , but , as I say , the people I knew seldom switched the equipment on .
Most effective deterrent was parking the detection van outside the Post Office . Always a rush of license purchases

That isn't the case. You need a TV licence if you have apparatus used to receive live broadcast (or to download from iPlayer).
It doesn't matter whether anyone is watching: the receiving is what matters.

Thats virtually everyone.

Hate & detest the t v license another tax I take great pleasure cancelling when I go away for a couple of months at a time and claiming my money back f em let em work for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Extract from Caravan and Camping website:

"Do I need a separate TV license while touring?

If you have a TV licence for your main domestic dwelling it will also cover you while touring in a motorhome, caravan or other touring outfit. During the period of a tour it is acceptable for a TV set to be used at the home address too.

However where a caravan or other outfit is sited, whether permanently or on a season pitch it is no longer considered to be touring by the authorities. In this instance simultaneous use of a TV set in the sited tourer and the domestic address is not permitted.

Also you must complete a form confirming there will be no simultaneous use, you can download from here... www.tvlicensing.co.uk"

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Not in tune

That isn't the case. You need a TV licence if you have apparatus used to receive live broadcast (or to download from iPlayer).
It doesn't matter whether anyone is watching: the receiving is what matters.

That statement is slightly confusing, but technically correct, therefore I'm guessing it's the official wording as they always intend to deceive.

Having apparatus with a tuner capable of receiving live broadcasts does not require a licence.
Using that tuner to receive live broadcasts does require a licence.

To be clear:
You can have a television set in your home & legally not be required to have a TV licence.
It will have a tuner in it that allows it to be used to watch live broadcasts but you still do not need a licence.
If you use that television set to watch things on that are not live broadcasts (or downloaded from iPlayer) you do not need a licence.
If you use that television to watch live broadcasts (or to download form iPlayer) you will need a licence to stay legal.

Last edited:
Not today

Thats virtually everyone.

Not now. Times have changed.
Lots of people happy with YouTube, Netflix etc. etc. so no need for a licence.
So much content without live broadcast ever being used therefore no need for a licence.

Not that the BBC advertise that fact.

Just be aware that when you sign up for BBCiplayer they now have you signing for watching live tv, even if you only want to watch later downloads, so technically they can prosecute. A mate hasn't had a license for about 4 years, but I think he only uses his tv for watching DVD's. We had to buy a tv license (although at a much reduced rate), when we had a tv/video shop, and for every tv sold you had to send the purchasers details in to tv licensing, we always told the purchaser what we wanted their details for, amazing how many had moved house/changed their name. :D but not for me to call them liars.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back