disinfact water tank

novice1968

just added 'Puriclean' into fresh tank noticed from container that it is a chlorine based chemical Think i read a post in the past that some chemical can damaged the immersed pumps Anyone knows anything about that Too late already but sure want to know

If your not sure just empty the tank from the valve fill with fresh water and flush the system. We use Milton safest and in my opinion one of the most effective products on the market. :)

Last edited:
just added 'Puriclean' into fresh tank noticed from container that it is a chlorine based chemical Think i read a post in the past that some chemical can damaged the immersed pumps Anyone knows anything about that Too late already but sure want to know

Puriclean is made to clean caravan, boat and motorhome fresh water tanks. It will not damage the tank, pump or pipes. It does however taste horrible and you need to flush out well after use.

Tap drinking water also contains Chlorine as well as aluminium and other chemicals and metals.

Milton's advertising* tries to make out that it's somehow different in kind to other disinfecting agents. This is not so. The active ingredient in it is sodium hypochlorite -- the same as in Domestos or any other household bleach.

It's at a low concentration, somewhere about 2% by volume in the sterilising solution, but a similar concentration of ordinary bleach would have the same disinfecting effect.

*The Milton Web site is there mainly to sell product. Here is some impartial information about bleaches -- Safety (MSDS) data for sodium hypochlorite solution .

Hope that helps,

Roger

Last edited:
Milton's advertising* tries to make out that it's somehow different in kind to other disinfecting agents. This is not so. The active ingredient in it is sodium hypochlorite -- the same as in Domestos or any other household bleach.

It's at a low concentration, somewhere about 2% by volume in the sterilising solution, but a similar concentration of ordinary bleach would have the same disinfecting effect.

*The Milton Web site is there mainly to sell product. Here is some impartial information about bleaches -- Safety (MSDS) data for sodium hypochlorite solution .

Hope that helps,

Roger
Having used Milton on our cruiser hire fleet for a number of years to sterilise the water systems, I can only say from personal experience that I am more than happy to continue to use it. My wife also used it in her Cafe mainly for cleaning tea stains from mugs, and unlike other products it did'nt effect the glaze. She also found that the mugs could be used striaght away without the endless rinsing.
Not forgetting its also been reccommended for sterilizing babies bottles.
But you can only read your web sites and make your own choice. These are only my own experiences with Milton over the past 40 years.:)

Having used Milton on our cruiser hire fleet for a number of years to sterilise the water systems, I can only say from personal experience that I am more than happy to continue to use it.

And there's no reason not to continue to do so. I wasn't warning people off it, just pointing out that it's basically the same stuff as household bleach.

> My wife also used it in her Cafe mainly for cleaning tea stains from mugs...

Common salt (sodium chloride) will do that, too. Milton sterilising fluid contains about 16% of NaCl by volume.

> Not forgetting its also been reccommended for sterilizing babies bottles.

Mainly by Milton and its retailers. :cool:

Roger

Last edited:
as the man says , milton is just dilute bleach [ with some common salt in it ? ]
so a couple of drops of common bleach in the water is exactly the same , as so often you are paying more for less

but personally I never disinfect the tank ..or perhaps I should say I ALWAYS do ...I put tap water in it , which invariably contains enough bleach to kill the bugs

Household bleach is commonly used to make drinking water safe in those areas where there is a need to do so. It does, however , make a horrible cup of tea!

Elsin does not contain Sodium Hypochlorate and leaves no taste.

It's made by Elsan and below is a cut and paste from the website.

Hallii

"Keeping your drinking water and the associated
tanks and containers clean and safe has never
been easier, or so effective.

Elsil drinking water purifier

Always add Elsil to your water to keep it fresh
and wholesome.

Elsil is unique because it is effective against
all micro-organisms, yet contains no chlorine,
after taste or odour.

It is ideal for caravaning, camping, sailing,
trekking or wherever mains or bottled drinking
water is unavailable.

When you uplift fresh water, add Elsil at 1 part in
10,000 to protect the water from organic
growth. Elsil is safe to drink and will provide
wholesome water for you and your family."

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back