Discussing Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4

Depends what you want to use it for. Got one in the cupboard from Covid Lockdown. Find the Arduino much easier to use for simple projects. Made a fridge fan system in the last MoHo but don't think the Carthago will need one as it has a chimney on the roof for the fridge which should make the draft better. Decent Android tablet will do most things and you can write your own programs using MIT online software, use it as a SatNav, pick up your mail and Mirror it to Tv to show latest blue movies ;):cool:

Come on lads im sure you have better things to do than talk to batteries, gets really bad when you get answered back. :eek:

I use one (a standard Pi) to communicate and monitor my Victron devices.
I have just bought my first Raspberry Pi to keep me occupied this winter. I did some programming in the 80s on a ZX Spectrum but I will need to start again from scratch with my Pi. That sounds like a very interesting project, I will need to work up towards more difficult projects but I would be interested in an outline of how you set this up.

I have just bought my first Raspberry Pi to keep me occupied this winter. I did some programming in the 80s on a ZX Spectrum but I will need to start again from scratch with my Pi. That sounds like a very interesting project, I will need to work up towards more difficult projects but I would be interested in an outline of how you set this up.

I downloaded a couple of e-books from Amazon with tips and projects for a PI, they were free on the day but I think they were quite cheap before the free offer

I have a very very old asus netbook
Could that be used as the keyboard and scree.n

Would just want google maps and a spreadsheet ?

What advantages over a laptop ?

I will need to work up towards more difficult projects but I would be interested in an outline of how you set this up.

I just followed a tutorial online. Google raspberry pi victron tutorial and you should be able to find it easy enough. I don't really understand any of the actual programming!

I've got around 10 Pis from the earliest Model A onwards. I use them for all sorts of stuff, including hardware & software development, which I can do quite happily whilst out and about in the van:

DSC01172.JPG

Have just ordered the Computer Module 4 with the accompanying IO Board (and wi fi aerial) - they're on back-order at CPC Farnell, but at least I'm in the queue.

I'm slightly concerned that there's no provision for a heatsink as standard, as the BCM2711 can generate a fair bit of heat, but I love the new form-factor. I never bothered with the earlier compute modules as the SODIMM form factor was a bit of a faff. I did however like the Pi Zero.

Excellent comprehensive display! Is that running Venus OS, I've not played with Victrons?

So where do the Wemos minis fit into this - are they are the sensor end to link back to the Pi?

Excellent comprehensive display! Is that running Venus OS, I've not played with Victrons?

So where do the Wemos minis fit into this - are they are the sensor end to link back to the Pi?

No, Raspian Lite OS, Node-Red (because I can't be bothered to write pages of code anymore) and a official RPi 7" touch screen. Kiosk mode is used run the screen. The Victron USB to VE.Direct leads are used to interface with the MPPT and BMV. A Wemos D1 Mini gets battery temperature and give control of a Victron Inverter. Alarm conditions, low SOC etc get emailed to me.

The Pi also runs a web server from Node-Red which allows me to review all this and more from my phone tablet etc.

I did try the Venus OS for about a year but the screen never displayed the data I wanted.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back