Dirty marks on the rubber strips on the body joints

GWAYGWAY

I am wanting to remove the dirt from the these strips as they look distinctly tatty now. I have tried detergents and thinners etc but limited success was the result.
Has anybody got a better idea. As to what might be best to make them white again from blackish grey on the raised surfaces.
The glass fibre is losing its gloss now after 7 years now and that is requiring mechanical rubbing with compound, but that does not work well on the rubbers.

Try oxalic acid on the GRP. It's a mild bleach used throughout the boating community. Used it on my own boat when I sailed. Available from eBay, of course!

TBH I would also use it on your rubber strip. Try a small patch first. Leave it on 5/10 mins, then wash off.

Apologies if you already know this, but go easy on the rubbing compound lest you rub away the gel coat on the GRP.

I used Elbow Grease. It works on black streaks as well.

For the bodywork, give it a really good wash then a polish with a good quality brand of polish.

Is it the rubber insets that go along the sides at shin height?on the last hymer I had 8 gave and bought new ones from brownhills sat them in hot water then squeezed into trim

Attachments

• IMG_3688.png
    IMG_3688.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
Try cleaning with neat TFR on a rag then back to black or similar.

I always used Farecla on my boats;

Is it the rubber insets that go along the sides at shin height?on the last hymer I had 8 gave and bought new ones from brownhills sat them in hot water then squeezed into trim
No it is the inch wide strips that are covering the panel joint, especially the top at the roofline is is black along the length’

I always used Farecla on my boats;

It is rubber strips on the joints, not the fibreglass I am asking about.

It is rubber strips on the joints, not the fibreglass I am asking about.

Yes but from your OP;

"The glass fibre is losing its gloss now after 7 years now and that is requiring mechanical rubbing with compound, but that does not work well on the rubbers"

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back