Difficulties ahead

I see this as good news. Shell were keeping the prices high so I never bought from them.
Their withdrawal from the market means that other suppliers who are more reasonably-priced are more likely to stay viable.
I think there is a good chance of a revival of the LPG-fuelled market, whether it is IC engines or fuel cells powered by propane.
The laws of supply and demand suggest that if a major supplier withdraws from the market others may feel able to put up their prices.

The laws of supply and demand suggest that if a major supplier withdraws from the market others may feel able to put up their prices.
That may be true, but if the supplier that withdraws had been consistently charging higher prices, their impact on the market prices was probably to push them up rather than down.

On the IOM there’s only one supplier, 99p a litre. However I’d rather that than none available. I expect that prices will rise as outlet numbers fall, but so be it if it remains available.

I knew it, they have done away with gas street lighting, where can I fill my gas bottles and my lighter??
I don't reckon nothin to this modernisation, have just got used to being without my horse and cart and my rag and bone business 😭

With Calor being involved is it a long term plot to stop supplying lpg at the pump for heating fuel

With Calor being involved is it a long term plot to stop supplying lpg at the pump for heating fuel
I doubt it. They had a deal with Autogas, but Autogas are pulling out. Calor will carry on, and maybe add more outlets.

Last edited:
I see Dacia are now offering their new Sandero and Logan cars with dual fuel, petrol/lpg, so I would have thought there should be more forecourts selling lpg soon.

Very few in N Ireland and less down south as gov put the price up to that of petrol.

The plans to phase out petrol and diesel vehicles by some date (varies for country to country) don't rule out making new LPG vehicles.

However, to some extent, LPG is a byproduct of petrol and diesel. If those fuels are used less over time, that may affect LPG supplies and/or prices.

Rather than internal combustion, my hope is for a fuel cell that runs off propane. There's a company in the Midlands making one. It's not for mobile use, but I can't see why there couldn't be one that is.

On the IOM there’s only one supplier, 99p a litre. However I’d rather that than none available. I expect that prices will rise as outlet numbers fall, but so be it if it remains available.
If the cost to change a 13kg bottle is about £25 or so, that works out at about 99p per litre.

If really stuck, there is a way to fill your system.
Get a catering size propane 19kg (65p per litre) or 47kg (55p per litre), get a Gaslow hose to fit from bottle to exterior filler point. Tip bottle upside down, preferably in the sun & the contents should transfer in a few hours.
I learnt this trick in Morocco where a lot of vanners were doing it as lpg was cheaper than bottled water.

Preferably with the bottle you're filling from in the sun, and the bottle you're filling to in the shade.
Good luck with lifting a 47kg bottle up that high, upside down. They weigh about 85kg. You really need a fork lift or similar.

Cost is not the problem as I see it
Last summer we spent £100 on 151 litres (UK and europe)
6 Months so less than £20 a month.
I would be happy to pay £150 to maintain our life-style.
The bigger problems are the 3 waters
Fairly easy abroad and we use C&CC CS campsites in UK

If really stuck, there is a way to fill your system.
Get a catering size propane 19kg (65p per litre) or 47kg (55p per litre), get a Gaslow hose to fit from bottle to exterior filler point. Tip bottle upside down, preferably in the sun & the contents should transfer in a few hours.
I learnt this trick in Morocco where a lot of vanners were doing it as lpg was cheaper than bottled water.
Whilst common practice in Africa, decanting bottles is bloody stupid , just make sure you let me know so I can be nowhere near, sure fire way of giving the hse a dicky fit,,,

Lpg was 35p a ltr in 2000 my conversation is that it's dubbled in 20years in that time they also added fule tax
20200801_145320.jpg

Whilst common practice in Africa, decanting bottles is bloody stupid , just make sure you let me know so I can be nowhere near, sure fire way of giving the hse a dicky fit,,,
I used to have job doing it every weekend. It isn't necessarily dangerous. After all Calor do it all day, every day. Of course we took lots of precautions and were sure never to overfill.
Didn't do it for long: it wasn't a job anyone of us enjoyed. There were many other jobs that were more pleasant

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back