Diesel heaters, Propex heaters and hot water

alwaysared

A question for users of Diesel and Propex heaters, what do use for heating your hot water?
By hot water I mean for showers, so a kettle isn't going to work 😉

Regards,
Del

At the moment I only have engine (calorifier system) or kettle. I do have a 1Kw immersion heater in the tank but it’s not even wired in

We have a diesel heater for the heating , a kettle for hot water ( washing up ) and a Trauma combi heating system for the hot water for the shower , this works fine for us :cool:

Had one of the small cylinders that could use 240 or gas, but wasn't ideal. Have an on demand boiler now, like your combi boiler at home. It'll give a constant supply of hot water for as long as you have gas and water :)

No waiting for it to warm up.

There is now a diesel heater available to heat air and water
Saw this in another forum last week, I am waiting to see what prices they are when they start bringing them in more regularly. May be a good backup heating and primary hot water system for me

ME WANT,santa should have known this.
There you go phil for the next big prize for folks to droll over. ;)

Which one?

Bought from eBay :)

• Thank You
Reactions: R0B
We have a 12kw eberspacher heating a 22 litre calorifier, the water from this is almost able to provide a hot shower until the water tank empties.

We have a 12kw eberspacher heating a 22 litre calorifier, the water from this is almost able to provide a hot shower until the water tank empties.
Is this in place of the original for heating up the engine? I have a 5kw Hydronic that I need to get working independently of ignition. Not sure if I can tee in with an additional system or if I would need to change calorifier, it is 22lites with one set of inputs/outputs

Is this in place of the original for heating up the engine?
The 12kw heats the calorifier as it's main circuit, but also has in parallel 3 other fan heaters. Std. Cab heater, a habitation heater and another that connects into the end of the air blown heating from the D2. It's main job is to keep the wet room dry.
By opening a valve the engine can be preheated as well. Normally we drive with this open. It allows the engine to heat everything whilst we are moving.
When it's very hot we can turn this off to reduce the heat in the vehicle at the expense of no hot water. I guess we could fit some thermostats, but we won't on this vehicle.

Bought from eBay :)

Cheaper than this one - you could buy 3 for one of these:

Just wondered... thanks!

Thank you for all your replies, I'm not convinced that diesel or propex is the way to go yet. Hot water seems to be the problem for me in my van anyhow.

Regards,
Del

A Truma water heater works on gas and 240v hook up, propex blow air heater runs on gas venting to 3 areas via ducting in the van thermostat controlled , when we have hook up we use a small fan heater as our hab area is not that large.

The Truma Combi is excellent, heats up blown air, or water, or both, on gas and/or mains electricity. Justifiably popular. They also have a diesel version, but I have no experience of that.

The water tank holds 10 litres which doesn't sound like much, but it quickly heats it to 60-70C. For a shower you must mix this with cold, so depending on your cold water temperature you have perhaps twice that volume. Certainly enough for two hot showers, more for just warm ones in summer.

Or a lot of dish washing or laundry (bucket and sink plunger style).

In winter, if worried about it freezing which would damage it, you can drain it down and continue using it as an air heater. It will do this itself with a thermostatic valve, but unless you have fitted an isolation valve the cold water system will remain connected and also drain onto the ground.

If you are using it just for heating, continuously, then the water jacket still heats up and can even reach boiling point. So you must be super-cautious before turning on the shower. Start cold and mix in the hot until comfortable. Considering fitting a thermostatic mixer to mine.

It's a compact, reliable, quiet, lightweight, maintenance free, integrated unit that has been totally reliable for over nine years

I use a trigger shower head to save water. Only to wet myself, turn off, soap up, then on again to rinse off. You can get good ones for under £10, search for "shattaf". I use it for flushing the loo as well, a quick spray from that is more effective than the dribble of water that the Thetford issues.

Also recommend the Fiamma bidet for Thetford loos. Wash your nether regions and feet using just half a mugful of hot water from the kettle, diluted. Face, shave, underarms etc, similar. Use a flannel. Brush teeth with a mug, not a running tap. 10l/day covers all my average needs including good cooking and washing up.

Reactions: R0B
Is that not a tad sore rubbing a mug up & down your teeth,a tuf lot on here,next i will be told you all cut your toe nails with a axe. 😂

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back