Diesel Bug ?

delicagirl

good morning everyone... hope you are all well.. i am sadly preparing the Delica for sale. It was sorned for 2-3 years and moved infrequently but passed its MOT last March. Now it has symptoms suggesting diesel bug and/or fuel pipe/pump problems. i am really interested if anyone else with an old diesel got Diesel Bug and how they actually recognised it and dealt with - hopefully without cleaning the whole tank...

i have someone on site at home investigating fuel issues.. so i really need BUG ideas please... many thanks

good morning everyone... hope you are all well.. i am sadly preparing the Delica for sale. It was sorned for 2-3 years and moved infrequently but passed its MOT last March. Now it has symptoms suggesting diesel bug and/or fuel pipe/pump problems. i am really interested if anyone else with an old diesel got Diesel Bug and how they actually recognised it and dealt with - hopefully without cleaning the whole tank...

i have someone on site at home investigating fuel issues.. so i really need BUG ideas please... many thanks
Sorry, I cant help with an answer to your issue, just a message to say sorry to hear you are selling vehicle and, I hope the sale goes well for you.

Sorry, I cant help with an answer to your issue, just a message to say sorry to hear you are selling vehicle and, I hope the sale goes well for you.
Hello runnach... and many thanks... its been a tough decision... but life has changed as have I !!! i am still chirpy and young in my heart head and spirit... but i dont need the van anymore...

hopefully without cleaning the whole tank...
Working on old diesel engines over the years I've always flushed the systems thru blown out pipes afterwards and fitted new filters and added some chemical treatment to system when refilling there is several treatments available like this
https://www.marine16.co.uk/product-page/diesel-bug-treatment

Working on old diesel engines over the years I've always flushed the systems thru blown out pipes afterwards and fitted new filters and added some chemical treatment to system when refilling there is several treatments available like this
https://www.marine16.co.uk/product-page/diesel-bug-treatment
thanks so much .... I PHONED this company and they were super helpful... so i have ordered it and lets see if that helps

Reactions: REC
Marine bug cleaner ebay, and where on g-ds earth have you been my we chicken.
bug fix.jpg

Please let us know how it worked
it will take a few days to get here....
Marine bug cleaner ebay, and where on g-ds earth have you been my we chicken.View attachment 127289
hello Trev - how lovely to still be your wee chicken !! Since Covid i am not so "wee" any more as are many of our generation. My health was great during the pandemic, but life post covid has been very stressful, and i moved house twice, but, now have bought a lovely little bungalow and am settled.... I bought my delica 10 years ago and had a great time - long trips to France, Scotland, and of course northern ireland and the Republic - but its time to move on. I hope all is well with your family and that your converted van is still going strong. Thanks for the link - i ordered a similar product from the same company after chatting to their technical guy... bw to Mary

morning all... the diesel additive has not arrived yet... but talking to someone today who wondered if my issue could be fuel flow-back? (i think that is the right term) and maybe the stop solenoid on the diesel pump is ineffective ? could that be as simple as a lose wire - or is my understanding way too naive ?

I hope it is not diesel bug. The easiest way to tell is to get the fuel filter checked and if it is clogged with black or dark brown sludge I fear it is bug. I had bug in both tanks on one of my boats and it was very difficult to get rid of it. My bug was a very dark blue/black. If I could have got the tanks out it would have been quicker and easier to drain and clean them but I couldn’t. I spent a whole season draining, treating and changing filters before I got on top of it but they were both big tanks. I think the smaller tank on a van will be a lot easier to drain and clean but I fear there are no half measures if the bug has got a good hold. They may have come up with better treatments in the last 20 years.

The bug tends to form at the bottom of the tank where water can collect. It grows on the interface between the fuel and the water. Water being heavier than diesel it settles at the bottom. The water is often from condensation forming on the sides of the tank as the outside temperature rises and falls. Getting the water out of the bottom of the tank is a good start. Keeping the tank full of diesel reduces the chance of condensation forming if the vehicle is being stored over winter.

morning all... the diesel additive has not arrived yet... but talking to someone today who wondered if my issue could be fuel flow-back? (i think that is the right term) and maybe the stop solenoid on the diesel pump is ineffective ? could that be as simple as a lose wire - or is my understanding way too naive ?
Simple test is to spray some easy start into the air intake and turn the engine over to see if it fires, not to much though, second test is lossen the fuel pipe out of the filter to the injector pump or after the solenoid and turn the engine over a small bit, if fuel shoots out all is well with the cut off valve/ solenoid & filter, some times the filter blocks with the bug and you may have to change it, this test will show up a slow or non exsistant flow.

I hope it is not diesel bug. The easiest way to tell is to get the fuel filter checked and if it is clogged with black or dark brown sludge I fear it is bug. I had bug in both tanks on one of my boats and it was very difficult to get rid of it. My bug was a very dark blue/black. If I could have got the tanks out it would have been quicker and easier to drain and clean them but I couldn’t. I spent a whole season draining, treating and changing filters before I got on top of it but they were both big tanks. I think the smaller tank on a van will be a lot easier to drain and clean but I fear there are no half measures if the bug has got a good hold. They may have come up with better treatments in the last 20 years.

The bug tends to form at the bottom of the tank where water can collect. It grows on the interface between the fuel and the water. Water being heavier than diesel it settles at the bottom. The water is often from condensation forming on the sides of the tank as the outside temperature rises and falls. Getting the water out of the bottom of the tank is a good start. Keeping the tank full of diesel reduces the chance of condensation forming if the vehicle is being stored over winter.
Just to add I also had DB on a boat. The filters were fine but it blocked the pick up tube in the tank. When the engine stopped it dropped off the tube so was an intermittent problem.

Just to add I also had DB on a boat. The filters were fine but it blocked the pick up tube in the tank. When the engine stopped it dropped off the tube so was an intermittent problem.
I used to deal with this many times in the past, now days i only service and sell small parsun outboards, diesel bug is a big problem if water in a tank, always fill tanks if standing and add a fuel treatment.

i have a new suggestion about the immovable van - from my AA mechanic neighbour.... he said to consider the stalling is caused by the ineffectivenerss of the stop solenoid on the diesel pump not allowing fuel to flow properly..... do i recall that a solenoid needs an electrical cable to it and/or a fuse ?

i have a new suggestion about the immovable van - from my AA mechanic neighbour.... he said to consider the stalling is caused by the ineffectivenerss of the stop solenoid on the diesel pump not allowing fuel to flow properly..... do i recall that a solenoid needs an electrical cable to it and/or a fuse ?
Correct it should be feed by a wire, a test volt meter or a bulb between the wire and switch cut of valve should show power when egn is on.

Correct it should be feed by a wire, a test volt meter or a bulb between the wire and switch cut of valve should show power when egn is on.
Correct, and a good idea (in my ever-so-umble-opinion) is to put a secret switch under the dashboard to connect/disconnect the fuel pump solenoid. Switch it off when you leave the camper. Toe Rags jump in to steal it, - but wait - that's strange? The engine turns over but doesn't start. Why not? Shall I spend half an hour diagnosing why, or shall I Bu**er off quick before the Rozzers turn up?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back