DFDS Ferry Prices - Peugeot Expert Tepee

cancunia

I expect this has been done already elsewhere, if so, apologies, please post a link.

So, I want to travel to France in September and started checking prices. According to DFDS, my Pug Expert Tepee (registered in the UK as a Diesel Car) is a 'Large Car' . Fair enough, it's a bit bigger than an average car. Prices looked OK, and in fact looks cheaper on Newhaven - Dieppe than Dover-Calais. I thought that I'd best check directly as I have removed the rear seats and put a bed in the back, no sink, no cooker, just a bed. It turns out that 5 or more seats = car, 2 seats = Motorhome & more than £100 extra.
To be honest, I think I'll go to Wales or Cornwall again rather than be fleeced by the Ferry.

Is there a way around this, perhaps using a different ferry company than DFDS?

Thanks

If it looks like a car then it must be a car.IMO.
That's what I thought, especially as it's registered as a car, but according to DFDS it's a Motorhome if less than 5 seats. I was told that if I book as a large car and they check, I'll be liable to a surcharge at the port.

That's what I thought, especially as it's registered as a car, but according to DFDS it's a Motorhome if less than 5 seats. I was told that if I book as a large car and they check, I'll be liable to a surcharge at the port.
So what would a Ferrari sports car be? and do they have Lithium or GEL leisure batteries?

Where do they ask about number of seats ?

Where do they ask about number of seats ?
They don't ask that anywhere in the booking info, but if you call or contact them by webchat, they will tell you then. I've emailed and asked where it says anything about the number of seats in the T's & C's.

They don't ask that anywhere in the booking info, but if you call or contact them by webchat, they will tell you then. I've emailed and asked where it says anything about the number of seats in the T's & C's.
so what happens if you folded the rear seats down in order to have a long space in order to just transport a mattress (or any long items for that matter)? does your car become a van?

so what happens if you folded the rear seats down in order to have a long space in order to just transport a mattress (or any long items for that matter)? does your car become a van?
My guess is that if the seats are there and not folded , there's no issue. But other than that, you run the risk of being told you don't comply with the vehicle classification. That's why I've asked DFDS, where this is stated in their T'C & C's. The other way to challenge this would be to book a ticket for a large car, then turn up at the port without the seats and see what happens.

My guess is that if the seats are there and not folded , there's no issue. But other than that, you run the risk of being told you don't comply with the vehicle classification. That's why I've asked DFDS, where this is stated in their T'C & C's. The other way to challenge this would be to book a ticket for a large car, then turn up at the port without the seats and see what happens.
Just rebook and don't bother saying anything!
You've got a car which looks like a car nobody is going to be counting your seats .

Direct Ferries use a drop down menu for cars, so you can choose make and model from that. The Expert Tepee is on that drop down list.

Personally I'd book cheapest ticket and see what happens, which is most likely nothing.

DFDS show 3 categories of car; Standard [<1.85m high [I had a Tepee and am sure it just met this criterion] & <5m length]; Large car [<2.7m high & <7m length]; and High Car [<2.2m high & <6m length]. No mention of the number of seats or any other criteria. If your V5 describes your vehicle as a car, then it's not a motorhome and you should book as a car within the appropriate Height and Length criteria. You only have to make a phone booking if you are looking for the 20% Old Age [60+ Discount]

Steve

I totally agree with the sentiment & logic from everyone, I just don't fancy driving all the way to Newhaven and being told I need to pay a supplement. Ultimately, DFDS will have the right to refuse anyone. I'll wait for an email reply.
Many thanks @marchie for the 20% tip, I do qualify for that at least! So far as the height is concerned, it's about 1.9M according to the handbook, so fully loaded & let the tyres down might just squeeze in. TBPH I don't mind paying the large car size, just not prepared to pay over £100 more as I've taken a seat out.

I totally agree with the sentiment & logic from everyone, I just don't fancy driving all the way to Newhaven and being told I need to pay a supplement. Ultimately, DFDS will have the right to refuse anyone. I'll wait for an email reply.
Many thanks @marchie for the 20% tip, I do qualify for that at least! So far as the height is concerned, it's about 1.9M according to the handbook, so fully loaded & let the tyres down might just squeeze in. TBPH I don't mind paying the large car size, just not prepared to pay over £100 more as I've taken a seat out.
I've never had a problem with 'Port Checks' re dimensions, so I think DFDS are playing silly buggers for whatever reason! IIRC, the original height limit for small cars was 1.8m, and, although I had a Pug 406HDi at the time, which was well within the limits, I towed a trailer with luggage bars that carried 3 bikes and we were probably about 2cm over the 1.8m height limit. Nobody at Newhaven was in the least bit concerned, just focused on getting vehicles loaded in the right order and on time!

On a slight tangent, I was concerned on the post Covid sailing resumption that my declaration sur l'honneur [which DFDS went to great lengths to stipulate must be exactly in the form specified on the website] was not as per requirements, because I had to handwrite it, rather than printing it. The Reception Staff were not at all concerned, but she did ask her Boss to double check [for my reassuarnce], and he said words to the effect that I had at least tried to comply and I had given the key information accurately, and he was certain that French Officials would be quite content. And he was right!

Steve

I've never had a problem with 'Port Checks' re dimensions, so I think DFDS are playing silly buggers for whatever reason!

Steve
The problem I'm having with DFDS is that I have a car as defined in the V5 and also as mentioned above, a vehicle that shows up as a car from the reg according to some of the comparison booking sites. But I have taken out the back seats and put in a bed, so they say that I now have a Motorhome. As I mentioned above, I'm happy to say it's a large car but totally refuse to accept it's a Motorhome which has very specific definitions.
So far as height is concerned, about 20 years ago, I took a bed & mattress on the roofrack of my car from Newcastle to Amsterdam. It never even crossed my mind that it would be an issue, so I was a bit surprised when a man came out of the check in booth with a height gauge, fortunately it passed the check...

The problem I'm having with DFDS is that I have a car as defined in the V5 and also as mentioned above, a vehicle that shows up as a car from the reg according to some of the comparison booking sites. But I have taken out the back seats and put in a bed, so they say that I now have a Motorhome. As I mentioned above, I'm happy to say it's a large car but totally refuse to accept it's a Motorhome which has very specific definitions.
So far as height is concerned, about 20 years ago, I took a bed & mattress on the roofrack of my car from Newcastle to Amsterdam. It never even crossed my mind that it would be an issue, so I was a bit surprised when a man came out of the check in booth with a height gauge, fortunately it passed the check...
In 2013, we took my then VW LT35 LWB HR Van to France via Newhaven-Dieppe. We had a 3 piece suite in the rear, and a mattress so that Elaine could get a decent sleep en route. The Customs staff summoned their mates to have a look at our eccentric set up, but, other than a few ribald comments and lots of laughing, nobody worried!

When I got to our hovel in France, I realised that I would need to take my Trailer back to Scotland on the return journey, but had no towbar ... Problem solved by purchase of two ramps and use of vehicle straps to keep trailer from moving. Towbar went down the middle of the Van to rule out any conjugal rights ... Cue another laughing inspection at Dieppe, this time by French Douaniers ... Relieves the boredom for them, and gives them a free cabaret. Technically, the return journey of the mattress probably made the VW a motorhome, according to DFDS?

Steve

If I understand you correctly you phoned DFDS and told them you had taken a seat out .
It would appear the person there has then quoted the rule book to you , basically at your request.
Honestly nobody is going to count your seats

In 2013, we took my then VW LT35 LWB HR Van to France via Newhaven-Dieppe. We had a 3 piece suite in the rear, and a mattress so that Elaine could get a decent sleep en route. The Customs staff summoned their mates to have a look at our eccentric set up, but, other than a few ribald comments and lots of laughing, nobody worried!

When I got to our hovel in France, I realised that I would need to take my Trailer back to Scotland on the return journey, but had no towbar ... Problem solved by purchase of two ramps and use of vehicle straps to keep trailer from moving. Towbar went down the middle of the Van to rule out any conjugal rights ... Cue another laughing inspection at Dieppe, this time by French Douaniers ... Relieves the boredom for them, and gives them a free cabaret. Technically, the return journey of the mattress probably made the VW a motorhome, according to DFDS?

Steve
Ferry prices for vans are often higher for a van, than a MH of same size.

Just did a quick check on DFDS site.
Newhaven-Dieppe, Both 4m X 7M. MH £135.00 Private van £145.00

Thanks for all the replies, I expect that @alcam is correct and they probably wouldn't check the number of seats especially on a late night crossing but the thought of being stuck in Dieppe and held to ransom did not appeal. As @mark61 correctly notes there is a 4M high x 7M long 'Small Motorhome' category which did not appear on the comparison site, the price is much the same as 'Large Car'
I've just booked the ferry, with my 20% discount, thanks again to @marchie for that info. I'm booked on as 'Small Motorhome', which is the correct classification according to the email that I got back from DFDS late last week. Their take on things is that if you have a bed, or cooking facilities, it's a Motorhome.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back