Decal cleaning

MOJO

Free Member
After a full polish up on the van the decals on our 2014 Hymer still look a little grubby, patchy. Tried T-Cut and medical 99% alcohol. Good for tar but not doing the job on decals. Any ideas?

Once they fade the only cure is replacement,we always had that trouble with used cars i sold.

Hi i had that problem with the decals on my burstner all water marks on them tried everything in the end had new ones fitted by a company that does motorhome wrapping you can chose your own vinyl.
company is called "motorhomemakeovers" guy called Peter on 07946 792 953.

Try one of the many products used to restore shine to bumpers and plastics ...

Or peanut butter!

Hi i had that problem with the decals on my burstner all water marks on them tried everything in the end had new ones fitted by a company that does motorhome wrapping you can chose your own vinyl.
At this stage their not too faded but replacement seems inevitable. Thanks for the info.

Depends if they were custom multi colour printed and overlaminated or not. Either way you wont get decent results, just replacements are required.
UV light degrades the inks, even if they are printed using lightbar technology. (which is supposed to add longevity)

If they havent been over laminated, they will fade quicker, especially if they are custom and multi coloured similar to Geeky Phillips on his van.

If you are talking about the ones that came with the van, and they are a just a solid colour then these will be polycast or polymeric vinyl, and have a uv stable life of around 5-7 years, and no real improvement can be made, no matter what you do.

Sorry if that bored you a little. :ROFLMAO:

Depends if they were custom multi colour printed and overlaminated or not. Either way you wont get decent results, just replacements are required.
UV light degrades the inks, even if they are printed using lightbar technology. (which is supposed to add longevity)

If they havent been over laminated, they will fade quicker, especially if they are custom and multi coloured similar to Geeky Phillips on his van.

If you are talking about the ones that came with the van, and they are a just a solid colour then these will be polycast or polymeric vinyl, and have a uv stable life of around 5-7 years, and no real improvement can be made, no matter what you do.

Sorry if that bored you a little. :ROFLMAO:
Interesting. They are factory fit now six years old. They have shrunk back slightly which required medical alcohol to remove exposed glue.

Which area of the Country are they located, Motorhome-makeovers in Exeter are permanently closed but there are a few other companies around

Since they're already there can't you just mask around them and respray with a rattle can? Gives you the opportunity to personalize the colour if you wish.

Interesting. They are factory fit now six years old. They have shrunk back slightly which required medical alcohol to remove exposed glue.
If they have shrunk back then they probably have used Calandered Vinyl as that shrinks more leaving exposed glue as opposed to a good cast Vinyl, which wont shrink as much if any. strange for a large company.? but that being said they could have took a vinyl delivery of graphics and not been told they were calandered.

Id recommend wherever you go ask them if they use cast or calandered, the Cast will always perform better. Even though it is more expensive to make, we use cast for everything, signs, decals, floor graphics etc just to save future grief from customers.

You will notice if you pay attention to many signs, when walking around will have a 3, 4 or even more mm shrinkage, = calandered = not good for applications like a motorhome.

How did the polish get up there? Are you still allowed to employ them?...... I'll get me coat!

Which area of the Country are they located, Motorhome-makeovers in Exeter are permanently closed but there are a few other companies around
Hi motorhome makeovers are in swineshead near Boston Lincolnshire he has a driveway you can stay in your motorhome whilst its being done

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back