Deaf Solo Traveller - Any Advice?

defect

Hey guys,
First off - apologies for this being my first post on this forum. I'm a long-time "lurker" and often enjoy reading all your posts. I'll try my best to add some more input to the community!

I've recently come out of a long-term relationship, and I'm fortunate to have enjoyed several wild camping trips in our campervan during that time. However, it's now time to attempt to do things alone for a while, and I'd greatly appreciate any advice that you all have to offer.

For some context, I'm a distance runner and I enjoy nothing more than spending a day out and about in the mountains. Usually the more remote, the better, but I'm yet to discover whether that's quite so enjoyable alone!

My main concern is if I were to wild camp somewhere quiet that I'd likely not hear anything happening during the night. Whether it's an angry local, the police knocking, or whatever other situation potentially arises. It's holding me back from getting out there and doing what I want to.

Although we've been fortunate during our time, and not had anything more than horn bibbing (admittedly we were in a layby next to a lake on this occasion), I often read horror stories on various forums. Admittedly, I think that a lot of people park up in huge groups in obvious places, which stands a far higher chance of annoying the locals. In an ideal world, I'd have some kind of security system around the van that vibrates/alerts me when someone is around, but I understand that's probably going to be very difficult/VERY expensive.

Right now, I'm thinking more along the lines of finding cheap "wild camping campsites" and then traveling to my destinations in the mornings. However, a lot of these are quite small and confined, and I'm very aware that not everyone wants someone firing up a diesel engine at 5 am on a Saturday morning!

If anyone happens to be deaf here and is willing to reach out, that would be fantastic. Alternatively, I think there could be a lot of solo campers that could potentially have some great advice. Regardless, it'd be great to potentially make some like-minded friends during a difficult time, so any replies will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

It's a tricky one. You don't want to draw attention to the fact that you are deaf as it may encourage thieves to be a bit more brazen if they know you won't hear them messing with anything outside your van.

I was going to suggest some sort of switch outside which could turn on a light inside your van as a sort of doorbell to get your attention.

Just brainstorming really. Good luck with it all.

Look for pitches that already have a van parked ( with a big "W" if you are lucky) and introduce yourself, don't be shy.
Scotland sounds like it would suit you well or Ireland if you fancy further afield.
I think passive detectors to turn on a solar light in the van would be good but set so you don't get too many false alarms and scare yourself.
In England I think you would find cheap (<£10/night) CL's would be less hassle around than Wild sites.
Good luck and remember to enjoy yourself.
K ;)

Hey guys,
First off - apologies for this being my first post on this forum. I'm a long-time "lurker" and often enjoy reading all your posts. I'll try my best to add some more input to the community!

I've recently come out of a long-term relationship, and I'm fortunate to have enjoyed several wild camping trips in our campervan during that time. However, it's now time to attempt to do things alone for a while, and I'd greatly appreciate any advice that you all have to offer.

For some context, I'm a distance runner and I enjoy nothing more than spending a day out and about in the mountains. Usually the more remote, the better, but I'm yet to discover whether that's quite so enjoyable alone!

My main concern is if I were to wild camp somewhere quiet that I'd likely not hear anything happening during the night. Whether it's an angry local, the police knocking, or whatever other situation potentially arises. It's holding me back from getting out there and doing what I want to.

Although we've been fortunate during our time, and not had anything more than horn bibbing (admittedly we were in a layby next to a lake on this occasion), I often read horror stories on various forums. Admittedly, I think that a lot of people park up in huge groups in obvious places, which stands a far higher chance of annoying the locals. In an ideal world, I'd have some kind of security system around the van that vibrates/alerts me when someone is around, but I understand that's probably going to be very difficult/VERY expensive.

Right now, I'm thinking more along the lines of finding cheap "wild camping campsites" and then traveling to my destinations in the mornings. However, a lot of these are quite small and confined, and I'm very aware that not everyone wants someone firing up a diesel engine at 5 am on a Saturday morning!

If anyone happens to be deaf here and is willing to reach out, that would be fantastic. Alternatively, I think there could be a lot of solo campers that could potentially have some great advice. Regardless, it'd be great to potentially make some like-minded friends during a difficult time, so any replies will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.
Not sure if you intend to travel in Europe or UK only ?
Travelling solo does get a lot easier with experience. You do gain confidence quickly . I appreciate , being deaf , it will be that bit harder .
Many on here will have some technical advice regards some kind of warning system . Worth having for peace of mind but , chances are , you may never need it . I've never had to do a runner in 10 years .
You seem to have already decided to get out there and do it .
Enjoy

Go on YouTube and search
Urban motorhome
He does a lot of content on how to pick park ups, and he likes his food 😂, so choose wisely sir 😁

It really depends on how deaf you are.
Madam has been classified as severely deaf since age five.
She swapped from hearing aids to a cochlear implant a couple of
years ago and then forgot her spare batteries as we left on a long
European trip.
Don't do that. Its b#*#*#dy frustrating.
Good luck and Bon voyage.
Dezi

Welcome to the forum.
I always rely on my dog to wake me if anything amiss should happen in the night; my hearing on one side is pretty naff so if I'm sleeping on the other ear I won't hear much, and I sleep very deeply anyway. Luckily it's never happened yet.
So the only suggestion I can make is to get a dog, a lively one that can join in with your runs up mountains.

It’s not exactly the same but I used to drive trucks long distance across Europe and had a mate who did the same, he was stone deaf, they put a mobile fax machine in his cab for instructoons.

He had a great story about a salesman that tried to sell him and his wife (also deaf) a system to tell them the home phone was ringing, and he explained so what if I pick it up what do I do?

We used to envy him as when we were in a noisy park up he didn’t hear a thing.

Fact is you’ll be fine, I’ve never had anyone disturb me, I understand your concern so just choose the places you stay while you build your confidence slowly, I suggest Brit stops. save as houses.

Welcome from Glengormley, I now wear a hearing aid and have a buzz in the lugs due to my old job shotblasting, anyway point is even with good hearing once asleep it would take an atom bomb before I would awaken, wife thinks I die at night<apart from snoring> LOL.

99.9% of the time you will be fine in 99.9% of the places you wild in. Horror stories are 'louder' than good news stories so have more of an impact on your confidence.
Go with your instinct, if it doesn't seem right move on to your contingency plan/spot.
Apart from the odd horn tooting and gormless remarks we have never any problems.

Attend a some WC meets, if that doesn't frighten you, nothing will! :)

Even if you don't get a dog, a big water/feedbowl with "Killer" or something painted on it, left outside by the door made me feel a little less anxious!

I endorse the Britstops mention earlier; coverage can be patchy though.
On the tech front, could there be a solution utilising parking sensors? I’m assuming they’ve come down in price as an accessory. It would need some adapting to provide visual signals and potential battery drain would need to be investigated. Sorry, not an answer but perhaps somebody else has some practical experience to qualify the idea.

It would be easy to fit CCTV that alarms to a smart watch (such as Apple) and vibrates, you could then have the cameras view on an iPad, battery powered connected security lights such as Mr Beams are an easy fix, someone approaches and as many lights as you want come on all around the van.

However I wouldn’t advise any of this, just slowly gain confidence, start with ”very safe” places such as Brit Stops (their not all pubs) public spaces with other campers, then slowly get more remote as you feel happy (someone will be along with a 7 dwarfs joke soon)

It would be easy to fit CCTV that alarms to a smart watch (such as Apple) and vibrates, you could then have the cameras view on an iPad, battery powered connected security lights such as Mr Beams are an easy fix, someone approaches and as many lights as you want come on all around the van.

However I wouldn’t advise any of this, just slowly gain confidence, start with ”very safe” places such as Brit Stops (their not all pubs) public spaces with other campers, then slowly get more remote as you feel happy (someone will be along with a 7 dwarfs joke soon)
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Big dog, or dog brown, or don't worry. I've tried all three. All equally good. I'm not a deaf lone traveller, but I can't see that it makes any difference.

Firstly, thank you all. It's truly refreshing to have been a frequent user of many forums in the past to see this one so active and full of great advice. Everything else seems to have fallen victim to Facebook!

It's a tricky one. You don't want to draw attention to the fact that you are deaf as it may encourage thieves to be a bit more brazen if they know you won't hear them messing with anything outside your van.

I was going to suggest some sort of switch outside which could turn on a light inside your van as a sort of doorbell to get your attention.

Just brainstorming really. Good luck with it all.
My initial thought was to perhaps add my phone number to the front windscreen so that anyone could ring it and vibrate my watch if they had an issue. However, the more I think about it, the worse of an idea it is!

I'm a bit of a deep sleeper, I'm not too sure some lighting would wake me! :LOL: Admittedly, I was hoping for some kind of miracle device along these lines, though!

Look for pitches that already have a van parked ( with a big "W" if you are lucky) and introduce yourself, don't be shy.
Scotland sounds like it would suit you well or Ireland if you fancy further afield.
I think passive detectors to turn on a solar light in the van would be good but set so you don't get too many false alarms and scare yourself.
In England I think you would find cheap (<£10/night) CL's would be less hassle around than Wild sites.
Good luck and remember to enjoy yourself.
K ;)
Good advice, thank you. Scotland is a LOOOOONG way from me in Essex (right at the bottom), but I'm hoping to return for a two-week trip shortly. I'm guessing it's generally as hassle-free as it sounds?

You're right there, the cheapo campsites are my current go-to, with my last one being just £8 a night. I just worry about upsetting others in the mornings.

Not sure if you intend to travel in Europe or UK only ?
Travelling solo does get a lot easier with experience. You do gain confidence quickly . I appreciate , being deaf , it will be that bit harder .
Many on here will have some technical advice regards some kind of warning system . Worth having for peace of mind but , chances are , you may never need it . I've never had to do a runner in 10 years .
You seem to have already decided to get out there and do it .
Enjoy
It would be UK only for the time being, although I'd love to go further afield eventually.

I appreciate the kind words, and it's reassuring to know that you found solo travelling improves with time! Thank you.

Go on YouTube and search
Urban motorhome
He does a lot of content on how to pick park ups, and he likes his food 😂, so choose wisely sir 😁
Just checked out a few of these, and they look great, even if one of the food thumbnails made me gag a little! :ROFLMAO: Much appreciated, thank you!

It really depends on how deaf you are.
Madam has been classified as severely deaf since age five.
She swapped from hearing aids to a cochlear implant a couple of
years ago and then forgot her spare batteries as we left on a long
European trip.
Don't do that. Its b#*#*#dy frustrating.
Good luck and Bon voyage.
Dezi
Too deaf! 😄 Profound loss potentially from birth, diagnosed at 4. Pretty steep deterioration through my teenage years, which has seemingly stabilised somewhat since, thankfully. Currently still using hearing aids, and (a bit too) blissfully unaware of just about anything with them out!

Batteries can definitely be a PITA, I can relate there. I have spares just about everywhere now!

Welcome to the forum.
I always rely on my dog to wake me if anything amiss should happen in the night; my hearing on one side is pretty naff so if I'm sleeping on the other ear I won't hear much, and I sleep very deeply anyway. Luckily it's never happened yet.
So the only suggestion I can make is to get a dog, a lively one that can join in with your runs up mountains.
Thank you. A dog would admittedly be one thing I'd love to have. I just worry about being able to care for it adequately. I often spend 6+ hour days out in the mountains throughout the year (even during the recent heatwave), and even with maximum ventilation, I wouldn't leave a dog in the van (or take it to the mountain) during the summer months.

I genuinely appreciate the suggestion though. It's something I'm genuinely considering, and still trying to figure out!

It’s not exactly the same but I used to drive trucks long distance across Europe and had a mate who did the same, he was stone deaf, they put a mobile fax machine in his cab for instructoons.

He had a great story about a salesman that tried to sell him and his wife (also deaf) a system to tell them the home phone was ringing, and he explained so what if I pick it up what do I do?

We used to envy him as when we were in a noisy park up he didn’t hear a thing.

Fact is you’ll be fine, I’ve never had anyone disturb me, I understand your concern so just choose the places you stay while you build your confidence slowly, I suggest Brit stops. save as houses.
Haha, great ideas, thank you. And yes, it definitely has its perks (very occasionally!) Although I'd definitely trade it in for better hearing if you want to swap! 😁

The confidence boosts and reassurances go a long way, thank you.

I have Brit Stops, but I'm dreading the lonely pub trips (and also hate parking in busy car parks). We had one or two that were great, though, so I guess I need to do some more digging. I don't find the book or the app very convenient for finding specifics in this regard. (Non-pubs, etc.)

Welcome from Glengormley, I now wear a hearing aid and have a buzz in the lugs due to my old job shotblasting, anyway point is even with good hearing once asleep it would take an atom bomb before I would awaken, wife thinks I die at night<apart from snoring> LOL.
I hope you've adapted to the hearing aid okay. Out of curiosity - is the buzz tinnitus (ringing), or something different? I reckon an atom bomb MIGHT just be able to do it for me!

99.9% of the time you will be fine in 99.9% of the places you wild in. Horror stories are 'louder' than good news stories so have more of an impact on your confidence.
Go with your instinct, if it doesn't seem right move on to your contingency plan/spot.
Apart from the odd horn tooting and gormless remarks we have never any problems.

Attend a some WC meets, if that doesn't frighten you, nothing will! :)
This was what I was thinking/hoping, in all honesty. I think a lot of people take a gamble with taking the pee a bit, and parking in the popular beauty spots. I'd rather be somewhere super remote minding my own business and enjoying the peace and quiet.

Going with your instinct is great advice. Thank you.

I definitely need to spend more time around here, I read that as toilet meets! I've got a lot to learn!

Even if you don't get a dog, a big water/feedbowl with "Killer" or something painted on it, left outside by the door made me feel a little less anxious!
Hahaha, absolutely love this one.

I endorse the Britstops mention earlier; coverage can be patchy though.
On the tech front, could there be a solution utilising parking sensors? I’m assuming they’ve come down in price as an accessory. It would need some adapting to provide visual signals and potential battery drain would need to be investigated. Sorry, not an answer but perhaps somebody else has some practical experience to qualify the idea.
Appreciate the second vote for Britstops!

Interesting idea, and not necessarily too impossible, I'd guess? It'd take someone far more clued up than I am, though!

Interesting idea. I have a Ring doorbell at home that does similar to this. I hadn't thought of the lights, though - nice idea! They could actually come in useful inside the van at night, too. I could perhaps find a way to stick Mr Beams externally temporarily, and then have a wireless (stick-on) Ring doorbell set up in an obvious temporary location. Certainly, something to consider, at least. Even if it will potentially be a tempting thing to nick!

The third Britstops vote has definitely got me realising I need to dive deeper. Thanks a lot.

Big dog, or dog brown, or don't worry. I've tried all three. All equally good. I'm not a deaf lone traveller, but I can't see that it makes any difference.
Haha, thank you. I appreciate the advice.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back