Dark Skies

Moonraker 2

Hawnby in North Yorkshire is the first village in England to turn down its lightning systems so you can see the stars.
My simplistic summing up of an interesting article. There are other places in Wales and Scotland but this seems to be the first English village.
I hope to visit some of these places this year. Looking at the sky is awesome, the immensity, the quantity of stars ect. Better than tv.

Hawnby in North Yorkshire is the first village in England to turn down its lightning systems so you can see the stars.
My simplistic summing up of an interesting article. There are other places in Wales and Scotland but this seems to be the first English village.
I hope to visit some of these places this year. Looking at the sky is awesome, the immensity, the quantity of stars ect. Better than tv.
And you won't get arrested for not having a license..£££ !

There are a few places in North Yorkshire that have achieved International Dark Sky Reserve status. I think its anywhere really that has low population and low light pollution. Where we are right the top of North Yorkshire is the 2nd least populated region in England. Stars are amazing on a clear night although I missed the Northern Lights show the other week. :(

More places here.

I did a job up to Aberdeen in the 80s go there about 2am, needed a pee so we stopped the truck in a layby about 20 miles away, turned off the lights and my mate Dave and I just stood looking up in wonderment, I've never seen so many stars since despite many nights in the highlands with the Heki wide open.

We get fairly dark skies here as we're almost on the N/W Yorks border, but only at the back of the house, too much light from Bradford and Halifax out front but all countryside at the back.

I have spent an hour trying to see just how far we are from North Yorks not easy as Google doesn't tell you but I found a site that does eventually and we're 1.9 miles from the border to the east.

Blue baloon is us approx.
1679312379419.png

I did a job up to Aberdeen in the 80s go there about 2am, needed a pee so we stopped the truck in a layby about 20 miles away, turned off the lights and my mate Dave and I just stood looking up in wonderment, I've never seen so many stars since despite many nights in the highlands with the Heki wide open.

We get fairly dark skies here as we're almost on the N/W Yorks border, but only at the back of the house, too much light from Bradford and Halifax out front but all countryside at the back.

I have spent an hour trying to see just how far we are from North Yorks not easy as Google doesn't tell you but I found a site that does eventually and we're 1.9 miles from the border to the east.

Blue baloon is us approx.
View attachment 118607

North Yorkshire is bloody confusing Kev. Google Maps shows this below but the maps vary. Most will include York for instance which obviously is in North Yorkshire but then technically it isnt as it is a unitary authority in its own right and does not come under the wing of the NYCC. Then there are the long disputed borders to the north. Some thread drift here :D

I agree ! …. Im still looking to buy a decent telescope and have joined a local star gazing group. I’ll never tire of watching the night sky, the best sight I ever saw was the Milky Way on a cliff in Helston, never seen anything like it !

I think the best I ever saw (I know nothing about astronomy by the way) was Gavarnie in the Pyrenees. Amazing.

There are a few apps for doing frame lapse photography, I have it on mine but not had a good place to use it at night yet.

That's how you get the pictures of the milky way (not the chocolate bar Trev) rotating.

North Yorkshire is bloody confusing Kev. Google Maps shows this below but the maps vary. Most will include York for instance which obviously is in North Yorkshire but then technically it isnt as it is a unitary authority in its own right and does not come under the wing of the NYCC. Then there are the long disputed borders to the north. Some thread drift here :D

Yeah, how did it get to be so far south of the M62?

SWMBO has a top end scope, it has a hand held compuer attached to it.

You simple set the thing up, type in what you want to look at and it finds it for you, cost a fortune and she's never even used it.

I set it up and had a play and its just sat there ever since.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back