Dangerous practice ?

Maybe now?

Attachments

• AERIAL 015 (424 x 688).jpg
    AERIAL 015 (424 x 688).jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 377
:confused:can someone explain what they were doing when this happened??
thanx arthur

:confused:can someone explain what they were doing when this happened??
thanx arthur

They probably overfilled the cylinder beyond 80%. Fixed LPG tanks have safety cut off devices to prevent overfilling. Many portable cylinders do not.

They probably overfilled the cylinder beyond 80%. Fixed LPG tanks have safety cut off devices to prevent overfilling. Many portable cylinders do not.
And maybe he got the fridge on too :eek:

I have re-fillables but being more used to Continental adaptors than UK (recently returned) I found out that you can easily unscrew the whole lot from the plug in, a senior moment meant I hadn't released the handle (therefore the pressure) and I just kept turning, result, MASSIVE plume of gas on garage forecourt, if anyone had been standing next to me they would have died or worse still we might all have died, very dangerous stuff ! never take it for granted. (stop me if I'm ranting but) when I was a lad 40 odd years back a colleague showed me how dangerous acetylene was by filling a dry cleaning bag,lighting it and tapping it up in the air, blew every window out of the factory.

Acetylene C2H2 Propane C3H8 Butane C4H10. All basically similar stuff with lots of hydrogen which we all know is explosive so beware!

LPG Autogas is a mixture of butane and propane I think.

This is a fairly minor result of buying those adaptors off ebay.....................................BE WARNED........ and get a Gaslow system.

Had ths flyer when I got my Countrywide statement. I have an adapter as well as an alugas refillable bottle (there are other options from gaslow :D) I know the weight of the bottle from when it was full & can esily check how much gas I've used & always underfill to keep below the 80%.

Had ths flyer when I got my Countrywide statement. I have an adapter as well as an alugas refillable bottle (there are other options from gaslow :D) I know the weight of the bottle from when it was full & can esily check how much gas I've used & always underfill to keep below the 80%.
But it sounds like you won't be able to refill it at Countrywide any more?

AndyC

Yes Ed, it was at #7 on the PDF file that I had my lapse of concentration, I forgot to release the trigger, when I tried to unscrew it it was still attached to the adaptor in the end of the hose, it fully unscrewed and I was left holding a 'hose of death' until I released the clip on the nozzle and it switched off,still with the adaptor in the end of the nozzle, The French ones work on a claw so no unscrewing required.:eek:

maybe I am reading a different flyer to everyone else

the one I read was a request , not an instruction
it also said FREESTANDING cylinders ,,,so as mine are strapped into the motorhome that doesn't mean me , does it ?

there is no particular danger here ; a 10 year old child could be taught to do this safely

if you can't understand how to do this correctly you shouldn't be allowed behind the wheel of a vehicle or to have a gas appliance in your house , both potentially more dangerous

the reality here is there is much more profit in selling gas in bottles

perhaps we should have a regulation that only garages with qualified mechanics should be allowed to work on vehicles ! where is this going to stop ???

remember , all gas cylinders are manufactured to be refilled ...you don't need a degree in physics to do it yourself

if you are in n. america you just take your cylinder to the garage , they have the adaptor and do it for you !

I am skeptical about the linkage made in this flyer between fe-filling gas bottles and the damage caused to the MH. Looking at the photo it would appear that the flames that caused the damage have come from the area (lower right) of the fridge grills.
Could it have been caused by a fridge problem -gas escaping and then being lit in some way?
That said refilling bottles is dangerous unless you have a properly installed tank or system such as 'Gaslow'

why do you say it is dangerous , ian
pop into a cylinder refilling station and see how they handle it ; when you have been doing it for 25 years as I have you will realise that you are doing it more safely then they do

hi lebesset . think this could go on for ever .i always fill my bottles as you know. some will some wont. and some people should never try to fill theres.have a pleasant day. cheers alan.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back