D4 for Over 70s

AndyWill64

So this won't affect me for another 10yrs (assuming I get there) but I'm wondering what people's experiences are with the D4. Is it generally seen as a box-ticking exercise, or are doctors very strict when filling it in?

I'm not trying to suggest there's a recklessness going on, just wondering about levels of anxiety when it comes around for renewal.

The reason I'm asking, I've recently increased my van from 3300Kg to 3650Kg. As things stand I have no concerns about passing the test, but just realised I may need to reduce it again when I reach 70, or limit my next van to 3500Kg in readiness.

Of course, the regulations may have changed by then.

I got to that point last year, couldn’t have the medical as I was waiting for heart surgery so let my D1 lapse. Took all the junk out the van I have carted round for years and replaced to <=3.5t.

I could go for the medical now and change van back to 4t but as it’s only ever me and the dogs I can manage at 3.5t. Upside it means others in family could drive it if needed, none of them have D1

D1? 🤔

I was told I'd need C1. Got both until 2034 anyway.

EDIT : Looks like D1 is for minibuses up to 16 passengers.

Last edited:
D1? 🤔

I was told I'd need C1. Got both until 2034 anyway.

Category C1​

You can drive vehicles between 3,500 and 7,500kg maximum authorised mass (MAM) (with a trailer up to 750kg).

Category D1​

You can drive vehicles with:
  • no more than 16 passenger seats
  • a maximum length of 8 metres
  • a trailer up to 750kg

I'm on my 2nd 3 Yr extension. The Doctors involved have all (4) been helpful and sympathetic but Swansea have been incredibly finicky especially since the cases a couple of years ago of 2 bus drivers collapsing and mowing people down.

I had a heart attack in 2020 and my renewal went on for ages with request after request for further info and tests to the obvious frustration of the Doctors.

This resulted in months and months of delays. Good news is in those circumstances you can continue with your licence until they write and tell you that you can’t.

I'm on my 2nd 3 Yr extension. The Doctors involved have all (4) been helpful and sympathetic but Swansea have been incredibly finicky especially since the cases a couple of years ago of 2 bus drivers collapsing and mowing people down.

I had a heart attack in 2020 and my renewal went on for ages with request after request for further info and tests to the obvious frustration of the Doctors.

This resulted in months and months of delays. Good news is in those circumstances you can continue with your licence until they write and tell you that you can’t.

Thanks for that.

Sorry (not surprised) to hear that Swansea was less than helpful, but it's good to know you weren't stopped from driving in the meantime.

I need D1 for my community transport driving - it's all the same medical and when you get it back it has C1 & D1 on.

I used D4Drivers doctor, £55, and it did seem to be a bit of a box ticking exercise although it included a blood pressure check and eye test with and without my specs.

It's probably more complicated if you have pre-existing conditions that might concern them, e.g. heart attack or stroke, diabetes etc.

I need D1 for my community transport driving - it's all the same medical and when you get it back it has C1 & D1 on.

I used D4Drivers doctor, £55, and it did seem to be a bit of a box ticking exercise although it included a blood pressure check and eye test with and without my specs.

It's probably more complicated if you have pre-existing conditions that might concern them, e.g. heart attack or stroke, diabetes etc.

Thanks.

I'm currently classed as pre-diabetic (with my HbA1c dropping from 53 to 48 over the last four years) so I guess that might become relevant when it comes to my test.

I had my heart attack last year and whilst I could drive a car it took months before I was cleared for C1 over 3500kg. You have to notify the DVLA if you have a C1. The official advice is you can drive C1 after 6 weeks if you get your Doctor or Consultant to do a medical assessment to say you meet the medical standard. GPs don’t have the treadmill to make this assessment so it is not a quick process, the DVLA arranged my treadmill test.

July 2020 we swapped our much loved Liaka for a Carthago 138.Superlightweight 3500kg and 600kg payload. At only 6.4M its the same size as some of the PVC. Its been great. You have to watch what you load etc but far easier to park and find space for. Now 72 and dont need a C1 to drive it. Health gets in the way so we now upset the Wardens with a Blue Badge.

July 2020 we swapped our much loved Liaka for a Carthago 138.Superlightweight 3500kg and 600kg payload. At only 6.4M its the same size as some of the PVC. Its been great. You have to watch what you load etc but far easier to park and find space for. Now 72 and dont need a C1 to drive it. Health gets in the way so we now upset the Wardens with a Blue Badge.
We did the same we downsized from a Rapido motorhome to an Adria twin and no C1 needed took a while to get used to the lack of space but that was more due to the unnecessary crap we carried 😂 now after a clear out it’s a perfect fit.

We did the same we downsized from a Rapido motorhome to an Adria twin and no C1 needed took a while to get used to the lack of space but that was more due to the unnecessary crap we carried 😂 now after a clear out it’s a perfect fit.
Same here. We just take what we need. No point in a BBQ this time of year so it stays at home. Dont carry loads of bits except a door handle. We have broken 2 so far.

I’d agree with that! I used D4drivers too, for my last two renewals.

If you are restricting to 3.5t GVW, you only need cat B, and can self certify. As soon as you go over 3500kgs MGW, you need C1(and C1E if you want to tow a trailer). Whilst it might be largely a ‘tick box exercise’ it needs to be done by a medical professional.

I’m relatively healthy (I think) and had no worries, though on my last medical, the D4D doc picked up on my BP being very borderline. It seems this was due to my surgery arbitrarily changing my meds which weren’t as effective for me. The doc suggested I insisted I had my meds reverted (which they did) and no probs since. On the plus side, needing a C1 rather than a B reduces your VED by half! 👍. That alone more than pays for the medical at D4D!

On the plus side, needing a C1 rather than a B reduces your VED by half! 👍. That alone more than pays for the medical at D4D!

Indeed. My VED was originally £165 because Swansea (by their own admission) accidentally put it on the system as 33,000Kg making it Private HGV. When I corrected it to 3,300Kg (involving numerous phone calls and two re-issued V5C) my VED shot up. Having recently uprated it to 3,650Kg it's back to £165 again.

Worryingly, the first guy I spoke to at DVLA told be they wanted to unpaid tax from the first 14 years back, even though I'd only had it 1 year. Luckily, this was later overruled. It seems to me a fair number of people at DVLA haven't got a clue what they're doing.

Reactions: REC
I've used D4Drivers three times now for my Cat C & D medicals. Charge £55 at a location convenient to me. My own doctor was over £100.
Straight forward, easy to book online and a fairly basic examination and questions. I don't have any complicated or in depth medical issues, so may be different for others.
You'll need to take your D4 form and any eye test certificate, doctor fills it all in, just ensure you and they sign it.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back