Cunning plan - three way fridge

This is an even cunninger plan. Start at the beginning, why is your gas jet getting blocked? The gas supply is contaminated. Fit a LPG gas filter (not to be confused with American Gas - petrol filter).
Without getting into the area of perhaps you got a duff batch of LPG, I am an experienced gas wallah (not enigneer, it's just vapourised lego). LPG originates from oil, and at the bottom of every LPG tank, Calor or otherwise, there will be a small residue of oil. It can get up the pipe and run towards the appliance. Stick a filter in the way and it won't get to your jet, which then won't get blocked. Assuming some idiot hasn't used rusty steel pipe or disintegrating rubber hose.
Once I went to a house where the customer said my gas hob is making funny burbling noises and the flame goes high and low. Outside the gas supply was two large bottles of Calor and a copper pipe ran along the outside wall, round the back to the kitchen. Some of the pipe clips that held the pipe to the wall had come away, making an effective U bend. The oil in the Calor gas had collected at the bottom of the U bend and the gas had to bubble its way through the oil. It is quite thick. I disconnected the pipe and held the end down to drain the oil. It stinks worse than the worst stink you have ever stunk, and if you get it on your clothes you have to throw them away. Having drained the oil I refitted the pipe properly and the gas appliances in the house all worked fine.
So I suggest you get an in-line gas filter and your problems will disappear. Check your rubber hoses of course.
The price of the filters seems to vary enormously. The official Truma one is Expensive with a capital E, unnecessarily expensive in my opinion. But they do work. This looks OK to me, I would get these from Amazon.
gas+filter&nsdOptOutParam=true&qid=1727341621&sprefix=LPG+filter%2Caps%2C245&sr=8-15
There seems to be more than 1 issue causing jet/ flame blockage. The vast majority seem to be from rust deposits in the flame tube/ chimney directly above the flame falling onto the jet. Others have reported corrosion in the gas feed pipe with bits of rust blocking the jet from the rear. Obviously for a filter to stop this latter debris it would need to be added immediately prior to the jet, not sure that be would be easy.

I found the biggest issues with 3 way fridges.

1, Thermocouple universal ones seem to work if the ends are right and long enough.
2, Rust falling down the chimley is common, why isn't it stainless? also spiders get in and shed, adapt vacuum tube to a small diameter one and suck it out
3, The Igniter pack can fail, I've bought the wrong ones but they all do the same thing the connections are similar, I even fitted a Pizza one when it failed on holiday.

Yes, the most common fridge gas fault isn't actually with the gas but with rust particles falling down from the chimney - which as we all know should be stainless steel but then the fridges would last longer and the makers wouldn's sell so many replacements. It's a simple job to dismantle the burner and hoover out the rust dust, then run a bottle brush up and down the chimney.

This is an even cunninger plan. Start at the beginning, why is your gas jet getting blocked? The gas supply is contaminated. Fit a LPG gas filter (not to be confused with American Gas - petrol filter).
Without getting into the area of perhaps you got a duff batch of LPG, I am an experienced gas wallah (not enigneer, it's just vapourised lego). LPG originates from oil, and at the bottom of every LPG tank, Calor or otherwise, there will be a small residue of oil. It can get up the pipe and run towards the appliance. Stick a filter in the way and it won't get to your jet, which then won't get blocked. Assuming some idiot hasn't used rusty steel pipe or disintegrating rubber hose.
Once I went to a house where the customer said my gas hob is making funny burbling noises and the flame goes high and low. Outside the gas supply was two large bottles of Calor and a copper pipe ran along the outside wall, round the back to the kitchen. Some of the pipe clips that held the pipe to the wall had come away, making an effective U bend. The oil in the Calor gas had collected at the bottom of the U bend and the gas had to bubble its way through the oil. It is quite thick. I disconnected the pipe and held the end down to drain the oil. It stinks worse than the worst stink you have ever stunk, and if you get it on your clothes you have to throw them away. Having drained the oil I refitted the pipe properly and the gas appliances in the house all worked fine.
So I suggest you get an in-line gas filter and your problems will disappear. Check your rubber hoses of course.
The price of the filters seems to vary enormously. The official Truma one is Expensive with a capital E, unnecessarily expensive in my opinion. But they do work. This looks OK to me, I would get these from Amazon.
gas+filter&nsdOptOutParam=true&qid=1727341621&sprefix=LPG+filter%2Caps%2C245&sr=8-15
Since swapping to refillable tanks many years ago I have had inline filters in place which I check periodically. I have replacement filters but the filters are as clean as the day they went in.

My fridge is running 365 days a year so the throughput is considerably greater than is typical.

The chimney doesn't rust because it's always hot.

I believe it's a minor contaminant in autogas that is the issue.

In any case it's not a big problem. I can clean the jet in about 15 minutes after lots of practice! (Typically it blocks partially every two to three months.)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:206)

Charlynch, bartman, mistericeman, n brown, oppy, Wully, Fisherman, r4dent, ewen, Martin P, Tonybvi, Obanboy666, Robmac, 1807truckman, number14, UFO, colinm, guerdeval, izwozral, barryd, Duetto 1999, Caz, Bouydog, landie50, Boris7, andyjanet, AllanD, Topmast, bobemmo29, wildebus, jacquigem, Ched, Trotter, adriahome, Admin, jann, RSD7a, stonedaddy, Greengrass, Tim120, V1nny, The Jacks, clarkpeacock, Wooie1958, ajb70, hamsterberg27, alcam, ricc, 2cv, ChrisInNotts, Heppy, Doigy, iampatman, cornish hymer, Gasdave, Tezza33, Noone, Pudsey Bear, merl, saxonborg, alan1958, NSY, TJBi, HurricaneSmith, Matchlock, korky, campervanannie, jagmanx, edina, Hotrats13, Nabsim, jeffmossy, caledonia, Steve and Julie, The laird, exwindsurfer, Okta, duncan2580, Sharon the Cat, marchie, trevskoda, Mobilvetta, terrywolf, davep10000, ian-trish, JVG, Drover, Bigshug, BKCharles, Fifer, Owlhouse, Suntor 100, Silew, Magsw, kclink, Alshymer, mark61, Rob H, popeye1958, euro28, panedda, RoaminRog, Jo001, SimonM, rugbyken, regnarts, Trish, royh28, Budgie, Polar Bear, Patandtubs, ironman, belbri, Mothership, Buzzard, Moonraker 2, alwaysared, Peisinoe, AndyJL, molly 2, jim dalton, mr. badolki, electricscott, Ex Greeny, mick n jules, sm1ff1, yeoblade, Fazerloz, keithlewis56, Chasn, GLT, Mberry, Elfit, RichardHelen262, Biddy, PeteSturge, st3v3, Di1234, Alpine Rambler, RAYPHOTOMAN, Ali-lou, WingNut, Alun100, Fitzy, Lib, MartinFife, robert webber, Hogweed, Jmick, VandA, Vivall, Dreamcatchers, GeoffL, Borders2, roadroamer, topchook, Squeegee, Weefifer, Andys, GWAYGWAY, noah and nelly, Wardy73, Rod, mike w, Gerry Attrick, Owen M, bnb080, gypo, Saorsa, GeorgeK, gabby82, coundonroad, horace, gettingolder2, bjh, RegnVal, Florance, JQB, ciderboy, ScarletPimple, cooperman, witzend, britcoms, freebird, geoffnmurph, Godders10, greg1, Motoroamer, starcott, Antonio, Tim1953, barrypat, Sue Paskins, Nickrock, gasgas, Pauljenny, shortcircuit, winks, chrishunter, G and T, b0p, davidjlambert, Scottishstewpot, rjmurchie, Geek, Canonball,
Back