Cunning plan - three way fridge

Canalsman

My Thetford three way fridge is in constant use and using gas for 99% of the time.

I have to clean the gas jet regularly to maintain performance. It's difficult to know when the cooling is less effective until the fridge thermometer, read remotely, shows it's getting too warm.

I've bought an infrared thermometer device and plan to check the temperature of the flame shield surrounding the burner on a regular basis.

The temperature should reduce when the jet starts to block since less gas is being burnt...

I'll report back in due course.

I have one to check the infernal temp, had van 3 plus years 100% gas never touched it.

My Thetford three way fridge is in constant use and using gas for 99% of the time.

I have to clean the gas jet regularly to maintain performance. It's difficult to know when the cooling is less effective until the fridge thermometer, read remotely, shows it's getting too warm.

I've bought an infrared thermometer device and plan to check the temperature of the flame shield surrounding the burner on a regular basis.

The temperature should reduce when the jet starts to block since less gas is being burnt...

How do you see that helping though? You're either checking the fridge temp regularly or the flame temp regularly, same difference because it means checking something regularly. Wouldn't some sort of alarm be better set to go off if the fridge temp went above say 5 Deg c.?

How do you see that helping though? You're either checking the fridge temp regularly or the flame temp regularly, same difference because it means checking something regularly. Wouldn't some sort of alarm be better set to go off if the fridge temp went above say 5 Deg c.?
These are really good for that ... https://amzn.to/3Z4KkAM
gives you a minute by minute temperature record on your phone, so you can see if the fridge is cutting out for periods, plus an alarm if the temp goes above a value you choose.
Also, it has a humidity reading, which is interesting as I found you can actively and near-instantly relate humidity reduction to fridge energy, whereas temperature changes lag.

gives you a minute by minute temperature record on your phone, so you can see if the fridge is cutting out for periods, plus an alarm if the temp goes above a value you choose.
Also, it has a humidity reading, which is interesting as I found you can actively and near-instantly relate humidity reduction to fridge energy, whereas temperature changes lag.
Nice! Re the alarm, does that notify by WiFi, Bluetooth or does the actual unit emit a sound?

Great bit of kit, been using mine for two years now, thanks to David putting me on to one of them.
Nice! Re the alarm, does that notify by WiFi, Bluetooth or does the actual unit emit a sound?
It notifies you through Bluetooth.
No sound the display turns red.
It’s very small about 2 inches sq.
It gives you temp, humidity, and battery level.
As David says you can access the history of use.
For £14 it’s well worth the money.

Last edited:
Because the fridge temperature varies quite widely with ambient conditions, plus of course the temperature goes up with door opening and/or introduction of shopping etc.

The temperature of the flameshield should remain pretty much constant when it's alight and will only reduce if the jet starts to block.

You will, of course, get false alarms when opening the door or introducing shopping...

Because the fridge temperature varies quite widely with ambient conditions, plus of course the temperature goes up with door opening and/or introduction of shopping etc.

The temperature of the flameshield should remain pretty much constant when it's alight and will only reduce if the jet starts to block.
I see what you mean but I guess it depends on exactly how much natural fluctuation you get (enter David stage left with a graph) and whether it's easier to get alarms automatically and follow up/ ignore them because you've just added shopping or have to keep checking. The gas flame actually modulates too because it has thermostatic control so that may scupper your plan.
Good luck anyway, hope it does what you want 👍

I see what you mean but I guess it depends on exactly how much natural fluctuation you get (enter David stage left with a graph) and whether it's easier to get alarms automatically and follow up/ ignore them because you've just added shopping or have to keep checking. The gas flame actually modulates too because it has thermostatic control so that may scupper your plan.
Good luck anyway, hope it does what you want 👍
I just set up one of those units in a Fridge yesterday to test the fridge function as it happens. I will later today simulate using the fridge and it will show how the temp changes in use. I'll post a screenshot in case anyone interested

Because I can log the power demand on my own fridge in the motorhome, I see how much "coldness" is lost when the freezer is restocked. It is really remarkable (in a bad way) just how much impact it has both on opening the door and introducing food that is relatively warmer than the interior.
Needs to be remembered that the power usage numbers quoted are pretty well based on a fridge already down to temp and doors never opened. FWIW, I use lots of baskets in the fridge so I can bring stuff out and close the door ASAP rather than rummaging with the door open, and in the freezer, always drawer removed and door closed immediately.

2nd part, fully agree with.
But fridge temp varies quite widely with ambient temperature? It really should not if working properly.
I think this could maybe be an operating characteristic of an absorption fridge, but a compressor fridge won't care what the ambient is (within reason. A major extreme can affect them)

No, nothing to see here, move along, no anal retentives here.

I scan ours once a day to make sure it's somewhere near right, Liz has meaningful conversations with all the contents.

No, nothing to see here, move along, no anal retentives here.

I scan ours once a day to make sure it's somewhere near right, Liz has meaningful conversations with all the contents.
However, Kev, this can be extremely important. I had a Waeco CRX50 12V Compressor fridge that had a habit of letting the freezer section warm to fridge temp and then freezer again (probably power saving?). That meant the frozen food in there would be defrosting and refreezing multiple times, which as we know can be a very bad thing for some foods (as well as making a mess of ice lollies!).
Having a device that can tell you if a fridge is not maintaining temp throughout the day is not being a bit anal, it can be a safety thing.

I was just taking the wee, it is important of course, I check mine daily, and I may even get that jobby you linked to on Amazon too, does it monitor fridge and freezer?

If it needs cleaning many times could the jet need replacing as it may be making too much soot?

Pull it out and fit a 230v compressor fridge, problem solved.
If only it was that simple Trev.
No one will argue that a compressor fridge is the better fridge.
But they use a lot of power, particularly in summer months.
Lithium batteries are a game changer, making compressor fridges more viable for off grid use.
But the type of fridge which best suits your use, depends on what you do.
It would be great if battery technology improved significantly soon, to end the use of absorption fridges.

I did replace a jet once but just has disc with hole in it I mixed the hole, both the same.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:183)

Charlynch, bartman, mistericeman, n brown, oppy, Wully, Fisherman, r4dent, ewen, Martin P, Tonybvi, Obanboy666, Robmac, 1807truckman, number14, UFO, colinm, guerdeval, izwozral, barryd, Duetto 1999, Caz, Bouydog, landie50, Boris7, andyjanet, AllanD, Topmast, bobemmo29, wildebus, jacquigem, Ched, Trotter, adriahome, Admin, jann, RSD7a, stonedaddy, Greengrass, Tim120, V1nny, The Jacks, clarkpeacock, Wooie1958, ajb70, hamsterberg27, alcam, ricc, 2cv, ChrisInNotts, Heppy, Doigy, iampatman, cornish hymer, Gasdave, Tezza33, Noone, Pudsey Bear, merl, saxonborg, alan1958, NSY, TJBi, HurricaneSmith, Matchlock, korky, campervanannie, jagmanx, edina, Hotrats13, Nabsim, jeffmossy, caledonia, Steve and Julie, The laird, exwindsurfer, Okta, duncan2580, Sharon the Cat, marchie, trevskoda, Mobilvetta, terrywolf, davep10000, ian-trish, JVG, Drover, Bigshug, BKCharles, Fifer, Owlhouse, Suntor 100, Silew, Magsw, kclink, Alshymer, mark61, Rob H, popeye1958, euro28, panedda, RoaminRog, Jo001, SimonM, rugbyken, regnarts, Trish, royh28, Budgie, Polar Bear, Patandtubs, ironman, belbri, Mothership, Buzzard, Moonraker 2, alwaysared, Peisinoe, AndyJL, molly 2, jim dalton, mr. badolki, electricscott, Ex Greeny, mick n jules, sm1ff1, yeoblade, Fazerloz, keithlewis56, Chasn, GLT, Mberry, Elfit, RichardHelen262, Biddy, PeteSturge, st3v3, Di1234, Alpine Rambler, RAYPHOTOMAN, Ali-lou, WingNut, Alun100, Fitzy, Lib, MartinFife, robert webber, Hogweed, Jmick, VandA, Vivall, Dreamcatchers, GeoffL, Borders2, roadroamer, topchook, Squeegee, Weefifer, Andys, GWAYGWAY, noah and nelly, Wardy73, Rod, mike w, Gerry Attrick, Owen M, bnb080, gypo, Saorsa, GeorgeK, gabby82, coundonroad, horace, gettingolder2, bjh, RegnVal, Florance, JQB, ciderboy, ScarletPimple, cooperman, witzend, britcoms,
Back