ctek main battery

oldish hippy

Just a quick query can i charge just me engine battery as the solar doesnt trickle chharge the ehgine battery. L have not mooved the van for months now as Been having problem i thought it wwas wired to keep battery topped up .what i wasnt to do is to take off the lesuire link and put main battery link in its place i have a ctek .the lesuire battery are charged.the other thing is i have a switch which inned tto traceas cant remember what does .

Just a quick query can i charge just me engine battery as the solar doesnt trickle chharge the ehgine battery. L have not mooved the van for months now as Been having problem i thought it wwas wired to keep battery topped up .what i wasnt to do is to take off the lesuire link and put main battery link in its place i have a ctek .the lesuire battery are charged.the other thing is i have a switch which inned tto traceas cant remember what does .
Hope someone can help you soon chick.

With a proper CTEK smart charger you can charge the battery it in the vehicle while it is still connected up if that is easier for you :)

Check your tyres as well Barrie if it's not moved for a long time.

Rob that is what iwas doing usually once every month i start it roll it back and forward or just reverse into the parking space behind me .It is a proper ctek and was installed by phil but what i want to do is remove the connecter for solar panel to lesuire and put solar to van battery do have 16mm cable from van to ctek

I think left radio on hence flat battery as last time i moved it was a warm day so went for a nap in the van as it was warm

I'm sure Dave wildebus will be along to help soon He will probably ask the model of ctek for him or others to help.

Do as i have done and fit a switch and relay linking all batterys together for charging, simple job.

Rob that is what iwas doing usually once every month i start it roll it back and forward or just reverse into the parking space behind me .It is a proper ctek and was installed by phil but what i want to do is remove the connecter for solar panel to lesuire and put solar to van battery do have 16mm cable from van to ctek

I think left radio on hence flat battery as last time i moved it was a warm day so went for a nap in the van as it was warm

You really need to drive it round a bit. Chances are that if you just reverse back and then forward tires will be in the same place As they were. Do a few move manovers that get the tires moving in different directions.

if you are going to play around with the solar don‘t forget that you disconnect the solar ( + ) first then the battery ( + ) When you connect up you connect the battery ( + ) first then the solar ( + ) ..

Swap the solar charger for one that does both batteries then when habitation battery is full t switches over and charges engine battery.

You could fit one of these to trickle charge the starter from the leisure batteries once they reach full charge from the solar

Pretty inexpensive at around £25 and easy to fit

the ctek does that but it has not switched over do have isolating switch on it will remove the fuse first then the solar then lesuire battery then connect van battery to solar output then connect solar then the isolaing switch and then fuses just one wire i am no sure off think it is the live feed to bm 1

Your van has a CTEK D250S battery to battery charger fitted. This will maintain the starter battery once the leisure batteries are charged.
Has anyone cleaned the solar panel as it is important to keep it clean so that there is enough solar to charge the batteries?
Your leisure batteries are about four years old now, how old is your starter battery?

If your starter battery has been left in a discharged state then it may be knackered now.

If you need my help, you have my number buddy 📞🛠(y):)

Last edited:
power lamp lit solar power lamp lit service battery lamp lit it is on
99% and 0.2 amps going in to lesuire it should change when les
uire is full overcast here today so will check later van battery is 7.3 voltage

power lamp lit solar power lamp lit service battery lamp lit it is on
99% and 0.2 amps going in to lesuire it should change when les
uire is full overcast here today so will check later van battery is 7.3 voltage
I think you will need to swap the leisure and starter battery cables and put all the power from the solar into the starter battery. With the battery that low I think it will be knackered now. You will need to look at what you have connected that is powered from the van battery, as it should not get that flat with the CTEK connected. I would also check the fuses at both ends.

My mate has a V5 camper and had to replace his starter battery this year.
I told him he should have connected it to the mains one day a week.
But he said that the mains did not supply his starter battery, only his leisure battery.
Is this normal for campers, or is something wrong with his set up.
It seems stupid to me to have a charger that only charges the leisure battery.

Thanks in advance of reply.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back