Crackingly good curry - even if i do say so myself - and low fat

I think this is the sort of thing you are talking about delicagirl https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...xDJYr4kW7t6anLAqw&sig2=DeN43lF_InQeejjonPC_bA

As for oil I very rarely use it for cooking since discovering ghee, if I do use any it's normally rapeseed and normally mixed with a knob of butter
your link FT is more Med cooking rather than Asian IMO.

I agree with the ghee / rapeseed mix it gives a higher temp to cook with, I often just use Lurpak. rather than ghee. In French cooking using a pure butter you get a beurre noisette (nutty butter) ...

At the end of the day I don't think there is a right or wrong, you do what you want to your own taste. DG cooked tonight from scratch and enjoyed it , that's all that matters.

Recipes are a guideline do what you want , we don't always have an ingredient but perhaps summat lurking in the cupboard....all interesting stuff me thinks

Channa

i got my recent inspiration for low fat very tasty food from the hairy bikers book - The Hairy Dieters - there are 4 different curry recipes with very low calorie counts and very tasty they are too - along with a brilliant chapter called FAKEAWAYS - including sweet and sour chicken (288 cals) Chicken Korma Chicken Jalfrezi (279 calories) maybe a good xmas present for someone trying to eat more healthily.

Sadly they must have gone back to their old way of eating as they put the weight back on again !!

Im sad now,looks there is more to life than boiled spuds,or prittys as country folk call them here.:sad:

Allow me the indulgence Collette but food in my opinion is a real social notation that goes back to our roots...Interesting you spent time in Saudi this is a dish I posted classed as Indian but Parsi. The Parsi people originate from Persia Iraq Iran region. They are a significant minority in India mainly centred around Mumbai ( Bombay).

Along the way the Saudi's Afghans and a few others have a dish closely related..It changes I assume from what is available locally.

Beautiful as a brunch

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums...-papeta-par-eeda-parsi-style-potato-eggs.html

Channa

I am trying to illustrate no right or wrongs but the influences are interesting ( to me anyway)

Im sad now,looks there is more to life than boiled spuds,or prittys as country folk call them here.:sad:

But there are NO praties that taste as good as Irish praties.. Trev ... its the peaty soil, i think, that gives them such a unique flavour - those and proper soda bread ... Mmmm - real irish food..... although i did come across some abominations called "soda bread" this summer !!!

i did also have cabbage and bacon - the traditional irish food going back to famine days i think...... its developed since then and it now comes with posh french sauces - not a bad thing.....

Allow me the indulgence Collette but food in my opinion is a real social notation that goes back to our roots...Interesting you spent time in Saudi this is a dish I posted classed as Indian but Parsi. The Parsi people originate from Persia Iraq Iran region. They are a significant minority in India mainly centred around Mumbai ( Bombay).

Along the way the Saudi's Afghans and a few others have a dish closely related..It changes I assume from what is available locally.

Beautiful as a brunch

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums...-papeta-par-eeda-parsi-style-potato-eggs.html

Channa

I am trying to illustrate no right or wrongs but the influences are interesting ( to me anyway)

Ah yes i remember seeing that photo on one of your earlier posts. I used Claudia Rodin's Middle East Cookbook while i was there.... one of the recipes i could never be bothered to spend hours on was "stuffed onion".

This involved cutting the base of an onion off, then boiling it just long enough so that the onion layers being to open. Then stuff each cavity one at a time with a stuffing that took ages to make..... too much hassle !!

Some of the recipes had wonderful names. One which i particularly liked was translated into English as "The Emam Fainted" - an aubergine recipe which was so delicious that the Emam was meant to have fainted when his new wife cooked it.

I think one of the reasons i can make a meal from nothing, is that shopping in Jeddah was a haphazard affair. I could never rely on anything being available in the market - so i had buy what was available not necessarily what you wanted.

your link FT is more Med cooking rather than Asian IMO.

I agree with the ghee / rapeseed mix it gives a higher temp to cook with, I often just use Lurpak. rather than ghee. In French cooking using a pure butter you get a beurre noisette (nutty butter) ...

At the end of the day I don't think there is a right or wrong, you do what you want to your own taste. DG cooked tonight from scratch and enjoyed it , that's all that matters.

Recipes are a guideline do what you want , we don't always have an ingredient but perhaps summat lurking in the cupboard....all interesting stuff me thinks

Channa

I agree but was under the impression that DG was wanting to make up bottles of infused oil for later use so thought the methods might be useful. I agree about a recipes being a guide I often follow the basics and then mess about with whatever is handy at the time. What started off as tonights chicken balti ended up with alsorts added, various sweet peppers, asparagus and kale (cavalo nero).

I agree but was under the impression that DG was wanting to make up bottles of infused oil for later use so thought the methods might be useful. I agree about a recipes being a guide I often follow the basics and then mess about with whatever is handy at the time. What started off as tonights chicken balti ended up with alsorts added, various sweet peppers, asparagus and kale (cavalo nero).

exactly so - thank you

the problem with such wonderfully creative, yet cavalier messing about with food, is that sometimes i really wished i knew what i had put into a dish, as it was so gorgeous, and i could probably never re-produce it ....

exactly so - thank you

the problem with such wonderfully creative, yet cavalier messing about with food, is that sometimes i really wished i knew what i had put into a dish, as it was so gorgeous, and i could probably never re-produce it ....

I would imagine some of those oils would be really nice sat in a bowl and just used as a dip with chunks of a nice french stick, or even poured over some warm pasta

I would imagine some of those oils would be really nice sat in a bowl and just used as a dip with chunks of a nice french stick, or even poured over some warm pasta

i have had meals in restaurants serving starters of a variety of olive oils and bread and the different flavours are astonishing....

But there are NO praties that taste as good as Irish praties.. Trev ... its the peaty soil, i think, that gives them such a unique flavour - those and proper soda bread ... Mmmm - real irish food..... although i did come across some abominations called "soda bread" this summer !!!

i did also have cabbage and bacon - the traditional irish food going back to famine days i think...... its developed since then and it now comes with posh french sauces - not a bad thing.....

Soda is ok but i would rater have potato bread any time,soda binds you up and its much better just of the griddle and lashings of butter.
So thats how they spell praties ,a word often used in father inlaws house.

Last edited:
Irish food, colcannon season now Trev ? Proper winter warmer bit of bacon, could just eat one

Channa

Soda is ok but i would rater have potato bread any time,soda binds you up and its much better just of the griddle and lashings of butter.
So thats how they spell praties ,a word often used in father inlaws house.

i have no idea if thats right or not Trev !!! i can remember in grandma's house as a kid in Mayo having lunch and dinner every day - a big plate of steaming praties (boiled in their skins in a witches cauldron over the peat fire) a big jug of milk from that morning's milking, and a lump of home made butter and "tay" (tea for those who don't know the irish vernacular). I hated the taste of the butter because i was used to "proper shop" butter !!! Sometimes we had cabbage as well. Home made soda bread was breakfast and an egg from their chickens.

Beetroot - i am into fresh beetroot right now and my local organic market stall sells all manner of different coloured beetroots - i bought 3 huge yellow ones today.

Channa - or anyone really - once i have boiled, let go cold, sliced them - what can i preserve them in other than vinegar ? I have filled a couple of airtight flip-lid storage boxes with beetroot and put Balsamic vinegar in one, and white wine vinegar and honey in another ..... any different ideas for how to preserve/pickle the rest of them please ?

i want to keep them either in the cupboard or freezer whichever is the safest ........

thanks Chefs......

Wow can you put it in a tin please ?

Of !!! thats nice of you to say so - !! i couldn't send you anything that i haven't tasted yet - i only made them tonight. i'll let them steep overnight then have a taste tomorrow.

Last edited:
Beetroot - i am into fresh beetroot right now and my local organic market stall sells all manner of different coloured beetroots - i bought 3 huge yellow ones today.

Channa - or anyone really - once i have boiled, let go cold, sliced them - what can i preserve them in other than vinegar ? I have filled a couple of airtight flip-lid storage boxes with beetroot and put Balsamic vinegar in one, and white wine vinegar and honey in another ..... any different ideas for how to preserve/pickle the rest of them please ?

i want to keep them either in the cupboard or freezer whichever is the safest ........

thanks Chefs......
Not something I would ever do in a kitchen to be honest. More a homecooking thing.

Vinegar of some description always seems to play a part in the story. I have read of people using vinegar olive oil mixes and adding cloves star anise and cinnamon bark .

An old wily friend of mine,( imagine a hybrid of Compo and Claude Greengrass) has an allotment and I get my duck eggs off him, (often given) and he said uncooked they can be preserved in sand, top and tailed put in a planter covered with more sand and watered. I guess if you are growing them and have surplus makes sense but doesn't make sense if you go out and buy

Channa

Not something I would ever do in a kitchen to be honest. More a homecooking thing.

Vinegar of some description always seems to play a part in the story. I have read of people using vinegar olive oil mixes and adding cloves star anise and cinnamon bark .

An old wily friend of mine,( imagine a hybrid of Compo and Claude Greengrass) has an allotment and I get my duck eggs off him, (often given) and he said uncooked they can be preserved in sand, top and tailed put in a planter covered with more sand and watered. I guess if you are growing them and have surplus makes sense but doesn't make sense if you go out and buy

Channa

That's a well established way of preservation of food..... My Irish grandparents used to stack root veggies in barns covered with hay and sand to keep them dry for the winter and they lasted months and did not go mouldy.

i remember having a chat with a young mum who loved buying fresh veggies from Morrisons because "they spray them to keep them fresh" she said.

"They spray them under special lights so that they get damp and then they go off twice as fast when you take them home so you have to go buy some more". She looked horrified.

I take the few prepackaged veggies i do buy out of their bags and put them on towels and leave them to dry before putting them away.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back