Cow green reservoir.

groyne

Just about to set off to do the first few sections of the Teesdale way. The plan is to take the van and car, park van at finish, drive to starting point, walk, retrieve the car, move on. Not much public transport in Upper Teesdale. Our first overnight stop is Cow green, I know Obanboy used to stay there regularly, I just noticed it's not on the Location App.
Anyone stopped there recently?

Bill these posts are from 2020, I checked this out on another platform with pois. which I don’t want to name. And two reviews from last June stated no overnight parking due to abuse. On that site it’s now daytime parking only. Sadly it looks like the usual culprits have abused this place by emptying their cassettes into the toilet, and leaving rubbish, and decent folk are paying the price. :mad:

Last edited:
Bill these posts are from 2020, I checked this out on another platform with pois. which I don’t want to name. And two reviews from last June stated no overnight parking due to abuse. On that site it’s now daytime parking only. Sadly it looks like the usual culprits have abused this place by emptying their cassettes into the toilet, and leaving rubbish, and decent folk are paying the price. :mad:
As you say Bill, looks like the few have ruined it for us all.

Typical, it's easier to punish everyone, rather than prosecute the few.

It's not a great problem, we've got other places to stay. We'll just drive in early morning, leave the van and pick it up later.

I doubt anyone would bother you up there despite the signs. You can hardly get more remote. Might be the least of your worries though. Its blowing a right hooley in lower Teesdale right now so God knows what its like up there today. I think it will ease off early evening though. You used to be able to park at Bowlees I think (near Low Force)

I bet that Marie has gone OTT on the laxatives last night.

1713181976272.gif

1713182071030.jpeg

There's snow on them thar hills.
View attachment 130100

It always reminds me of the Falklands that place. Not that I have ever been to the Falklands but you could just imagine a Harrier Jump Jet chasing a Mirage down it. Can be very bleak. There is a sign up there somewhere stating Cow Green has the same climate as Reykjavík in Iceland. Don't go for an early morning swim whatever you do. :D

I doubt anyone would bother you up there despite the signs. You can hardly get more remote. Might be the least of your worries though. Its blowing a right hooley in lower Teesdale right now so God knows what its like up there today. I think it will ease off early evening though. You used to be able to park at Bowlees I think (near Low Force)
Regarding not getting bothered, I fish there and the NWL staff call in regularly to check peoples permits etc. Rarely have I seen them early doors but there's always a first time.

Due to waste etc?

I'd put a sign in the window "I understand your problems but I have a bin and a toilet, both empty. Staying for one night only."
From what I can see, the main issue was cassette emptying into their public toilet. I have witnessed the mess this causes for normal users, and I would reckon being a rural location this toilet will be connected to a sceptic tank.

Regarding not getting bothered, I fish there and the NWL staff call in regularly to check peoples permits etc. Rarely have I seen them early doors but there's always a first time.

What are they going to do if its the next day? Personally I don't like to park where there are signs saying not to whether they are enforceable or not but it just seems crackers up there. Its a pity they couldnt have just locked the toilet if thats been the problem but I guess that would mean someone coming every evening and morning.

What are they going to do if its the next day? Personally I don't like to park where there are signs saying not to whether they are enforceable or not but it just seems crackers up there. Its a pity they couldnt have just locked the toilet if thats been the problem but I guess that would mean someone coming every evening and morning.

That entails having public servants (council employees), or whoever is responsible for the car park/toilets (Northumbria Water maybe? - can’t see those b*gg*rs employing anyone to do the job, even if it was their responsibility 🤷‍♀️ ).

This is 2024 in England, reckon we’ll just have to dream on for now on both counts 🙂

That entails having public servants (council employees), or whoever is responsible for the car park/toilets (Northumbria Water maybe? - can’t see those b*gg*rs employing anyone to do the job, even if it was their responsibility 🤷‍♀️ ).

This is 2024 in England, reckon we’ll just have to dream on for now on both counts 🙂

Its literally miles from anywhere so I can kind of understand why they wouldnt have someone up there every day. I assume they were just leaving the toilets open on a night and thats when the problems occurred. Either that or some NIMBY just had it in for motorhomes. I doubt it though as the nearest persons "back yard" is probably 20 miles away. :D

Natural England (another QUANGO) seems to be calling the shots. We stayed the night, lulled to sleep by the wind, and hailstones bouncing off the van roof, no one bothered us.
The wind died down about 8:00am, so we drove the car to Dufton and walked back to Cow Green following the Pennine way route over High Cup Nick.

Dufton start of the Teesdale way.
IMG-20240416-WA0006.jpg

High Cup Nick.
IMG-20240416-WA0004.jpg

Back to Cow Green.
IMG-20240416-WA0003.jpg

Cow Green to Middleton in Teesdale tomorrow.

Back