Council to provide State-of-the-Art Camper Van Site

maureenandtom

I came across this.

20tqbgy.jpg

No, not here. In Ireland.

I think they have the proposed price wrong but ... forward thinking or what?

Cobh to provide state-of-the-art camper van site | Irish Examiner

Some parts of ireland are getting it right whilst galway district seem to want no vans,though things are starting to move in the wright direction all over ireland north and south,well we are bust,well the south anyway and need the money spent in our towns.

lot of inaccuracies in that newspaper article ,stopped there a couple of years ago 20 bays then ,they are increasing to 30 and propose €10 for 24 hrs also a bourne has been installed. Here is a piece from motorhome craic who are in contact with the council :- Facts are:
Cobh Municipal Council have confirmed the rate will be €10 per 24 hours and there is no plans to increase that figure.
The motorhome parking at Cobh was not the brainchild of Cllr. Cullinane. However she is now very active in promoting the project.
The eco-friendly toilet has nothing to do with the motorhome parking AFAIK it's a 'gift' from those who operate the wind turbines in the area.

There are also other statements attributed to Cllr. Cullinane. However, she has confirmed to us that she gave no personal interview on the subject and the article would have been drawn from a wide ranging discussion on the matter during a recent monthly council meeting, which was attended by a number of reporters for the local print media.
DSCF3151.jpgDSCF3178.jpgi_2_3491_92347_24_1469616778_947 (1).jpg

Wonder why the French camp site owners don't protest about Aires, the French protest about everthing.

Sometimes our country boils my blood. I'm very new to this motorhoming melarchy but me and the missus have enjoyed our first year. This year we spent a few days in France and what an eye opener.

A French "rocket scientist" must have worked out that encouraging motorhome i.e. Tourists, to towns and remote villages for free or minimum cost would bring increased revenue to local shops etc.

Down here in Weymouth it can be a nightmare to overnight park. The local park and ride has been a disaster and is pretty much unused and cost millions. I mentioned this to a local councillor and when I suggested that they might consider allowing motorhomes to stay at little cost as a way of encourining more tourism to the area was met by a complete wall and fed a multitude of excuses as to why it would not work. It seems to work pretty well in France.

How have we turned into a nation of short sighted jelly backs?

Sometimes our country boils my blood. I'm very new to this motorhoming melarchy but me and the missus have enjoyed our first year. This year we spent a few days in France and what an eye opener.

A French "rocket scientist" must have worked out that encouraging motorhome i.e. Tourists, to towns and remote villages for free or minimum cost would bring increased revenue to local shops etc.

Down here in Weymouth it can be a nightmare to overnight park. The local park and ride has been a disaster and is pretty much unused and cost millions. I mentioned this to a local councillor and when I suggested that they might consider allowing motorhomes to stay at little cost as a way of encourining more tourism to the area was met by a complete wall and fed a multitude of excuses as to why it would not work. It seems to work pretty well in France.

How have we turned into a nation of short sighted jelly backs?

Tell your councillor that it works very well in Canterbury

I used to like stopping at the priory park and ride in hull it was secure and had electric hookup toilets and showers but it was closed in 2011 not been back since.

Mike

I can see why having Motorhomes & or Live in vans 'Can' be viewed as a problem in some inner cities. Maybe a possible answer for some cases would be for the councils to actually provide Designated 'Overnight Stay Bays' at a small cost of course in Park n Rides at convenient areas on the fringes of cities or POIs.

I can see why having Motorhomes & or Live in vans 'Can' be viewed as a problem in some inner cities. Maybe a possible answer for some cases would be for the councils to actually provide Designated 'Overnight Stay Bays' at a small cost of course in Park n Rides at convenient areas on the fringes of cities or POIs.

What a top idea. You must be a rocket scientist lol :banana::banana::banana::)

The latest.

The response to the council from Phoenix Motorhome Club is on behalf of hundreds of members. The spokesman says that by EU definition motor caravans ae vehicles in the same category as private cars and are legally entitled tod rive and park wherever it was legal to do so in a car. An argument some of us have used with some success. Channa for one - with a parking ticket.

Very interesting.

Threat of legal action to council over camper van parking bay planned for Cobh | Irish Examiner

xla5is.jpg

What a top idea. You must be a rocket scientist lol :banana::banana::banana::)

If you search a few motorhome forums you will find out that there was to be a dedicated section for motorhomes at Weymouth. This was to include grey water dumping and fresh water supply, although black waste disposal was going to be a problem.

A Councillor was very keen on the idea and was taking advice from a couple of local motorhome owners who were members of MHFacts. Then it dragged on and on, the Councillor seemed to 'disappear' and the idea just disappeared.

If you search a few motorhome forums you will find out that there was to be a dedicated section for motorhomes at Weymouth. This was to include grey water dumping and fresh water supply, although black waste disposal was going to be a problem.

A Councillor was very keen on the idea and was taking advice from a couple of local motorhome owners who were members of MHFacts. Then it dragged on and on, the Councillor seemed to 'disappear' and the idea just disappeared.

He prob bought a motorhome and went to france if he had any sense.

We seem to argue from different angles. On the one hand we say we are self sufficient and don't need the facilities provided by caravan sites, and on the other want Councils to provide facilities in car parks. Can't we just settle for the right to overnight in the first instance?

We seem to argue from different angles. On the one hand we say we are self sufficient and don't need the facilities provided by caravan sites, and on the other want Councils to provide facilities in car parks. Can't we just settle for the right to overnight in the first instance?

I would. Happily.

It's when the right is taken away ...

In a nutshell.

Foreign visitors

Hi

On all too many instances on our travels in Europe when I have asked French, German and Italian Motorhomers whether they have visited Great Britain in their vans the reply from those few who have been here is that they really liked the country. They would love to come again, but they won't. The main reason...the only places to stay here are expensive campsites where they must pay for services they don't need, and the shear expense and difficulty of being able to park anywhere near the places they want to visit (even in quiet rural areas) not to mention the apparent hostile attitude of public authorities towards motorhomes in general. I cannot help but concur with them.

All of which is probably why we now spend at least 6 months of the year in their countries, and in others where we are made to feel welcome. Needless to say not withstanding the cost of ferries, insurance, fuel and so we can better afford to spend such periods of time elsewhere in Europe than in UK where the cost is simply prohibitive. Not surprising these countries have thriving tourist industries.

Ian

Hi

On all too many instances on our travels in Europe when I have asked French, German and Italian Motorhomers whether they have visited Great Britain in their vans the reply from those few who have been here is that they really liked the country. They would love to come again, but they won't. The main reason...the only places to stay here are expensive campsites where they must pay for services they don't need, and the shear expense and difficulty of being able to park anywhere near the places they want to visit (even in quiet rural areas) not to mention the apparent hostile attitude of public authorities towards motorhomes in general. I cannot help but concur with them.

All of which is probably why we now spend at least 6 months of the year in their countries, and in others where we are made to feel welcome. Needless to say not withstanding the cost of ferries, insurance, fuel and so we can better afford to spend such periods of time elsewhere in Europe than in UK where the cost is simply prohibitive. Not surprising these countries have thriving tourist industries.

Ian

The more I think about it the less convinced I am the gripe here is facilities, lots of cls and cs's etc more should be done perhaps to encourage service stops. I think the main difference is attitude and overall acceptance of people wilding particularly in France. Their councils for one encourage tourism to the area not particularly discriminating on how people choose to camp even more remarkable when you consider a lot of sites are council owned in France.

Touristy areas they charge for the parking often with time limits, but everything seems a lot more laid back and welcoming.

Channa

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back