Cornwall free overnight stops

KarenMallinson

Free Member
Hi

I'm new to the forum. I'm looking for information on the situation for free overnight stays with a campervan in and around cornwall.

I live in Spain and my partner and I are flying over in May for my brother's wedding in Truro. It's been a while since we stayed in a van and though we'd hire one from Bristol and travel around Cornwall for a week. (my partner has never been to cornwall).

Any van hire recommendations would be greatly received.

But importantly, how is it to do overnight stays (ideally free) and get around in a van in cornwall?

thanks
Karen

Worth hiring a VW type camper van then you can drive in the lanes without too much hassle.
Cornwall is very anti wild camping. Quite a few council car parks don't even let empty motorhomes stay overnight.
There's a few spots on the app here, worth joining for and also search for sites lists lots of small pop up type campsites that may or may not be open then.
At least you'll be off season so not too crowded.

Worth hiring a VW type camper van then you can drive in the lanes without too much hassle.
Cornwall is very anti wild camping. Quite a few council car parks don't even let empty motorhomes stay overnight.
There's a few spots on the app here, worth joining for and also search for sites lists lots of small pop up type campsites that may or may not be open then.
At least you'll be off season so not too crowded.
Thank you so much for your reply. It's definitely food for thought. The romance of being able to park up somewhere for the night feels just that - a romantic thought! I will keep investigating to see any smaller sites as you recommend.

Cornwall isn't easy Our Councillors are very anti Wild camping several having connections with camp sites. Our Location App for full members has several stops

if you’re thinking of a ‘campervan’ it won’t have any toilet/shower etc so personally I’d choose a central campsite and go out each day to different places, at least you’d get a shower. As you’re brother lives in Truro you might be able to park on the rugby club (few years since I was there) and use his facilities. Sadly from experience campervans can be viewed as a bit of a nuisance around Cornwall particularly on the beaches.

Campervans can carry toilets. Ours does.
There used to be the idyllic spots to overnight that you dreamed of. We loved staying on the cliffs at Levant until the National Trust banned us, and many other places...
Having said that it is still a great place to park up and spend the day, if you get there early for a scenic spot and many others too such as Godrevy, Harlyn etc. Probably expensive though.
Join up and have a good look at the poi's. There may still be some scenic spots you can overnight. Good luck. I'm sure you'll have a great time with a bit of planning.

@KarenMallinson
If you are hiring, double check the small print re accidental damage and losing your deposit.
Photo the exterior of the van in fine detail record and agree with the hire company all existing scratches or internal and external damage etc before you leave

Some of the lanes in Cornwall are extremely narrow especially on the Lizard very easy to scratch a vehicle which the rental company may expect you to pay for out of the usually very high deposit they charge.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back