Cornwall council car parks from 1st Nov

philgb

Free Member
Spotted on Google earth some council car parks in Cornwall are free from 1st Nov to 31st March, noticeably Towan headland car park Newqay.

Can any Cornish members advise on the odd overnighting stop here during winter, plus beach car parks I.e Treyarnon, Harlyn Bay etc. Realise any other time of the year overnighting at these places you would be hung drawn and quartered.

Last time we where there a sign stated "Motorhomes and Campervans prohibited 23:00 to 8:00", not sure if they enforce this over winter.

All Cornwall council car parks now seem to have the same no overnighting signs :(

All Cornwall council car parks now seem to have the same no overnighting signs :(
"No Camping" seems a common restriction for council-operated car parks. However, I've spotted a couple of free parks where the usual signs have been covered by Covid-19 information. That said, a lot of car parks in Cornwall are either not operated by the council or are 'grandfathered-in', de-facto parking places. For charegeable Council-operated car parks, you can get information (including permitted vehicles and restrictions) on their website (clicky link).

"No Camping" seems a common restriction for council-operated car parks.
Cornwall Council don't allow motorhomes to be parked over night whether occupied or not this was introduced as it was to difficult for enforcement officers to confirm occupation. Now they drive around with a NPR camera Car so no warnings just a ticket in the post

Cornwall Council don't allow motorhomes to be parked over night whether occupied or not this was introduced as it was to difficult for enforcement officers to confirm occupation. Now they drive around with a NPR camera Car so no warnings just a ticket in the post
I guess a van with windows would be ok then as it's not a motorcaravan according to the dvla....
Though the signs should really say "motorcaravan" not "motorhome"

I guess a van with windows would be ok then as it's not a motorcaravan according to the dvla....
Though the signs should really say "motorcaravan" not "motorhome"
Unfortunately 'vans with windows' aren't always OK. At least one Cornwall Council operated car park now bans commercial vehicles as well as campers/motorhomes.

Seems to me very simple.
Do Not go to Cornwall unless you stay on a site....Shame.....
Thankfully, not all car parks in Cornwall are operated by the county council -- and some free council parks don't yet seem to ban motorhomes. There are also a lot of laybys where you can legitimately park up. That said, Cornwall council has a long history of being anti-motorhome and don't see us as a valuable opportunity...

Last edited:
just come down to the border and meet the man with the horse. leave all your money ,possibly your wife or daughters can come and stop for a few nights .
or is that knights. hee hee.
but never mind its lovely down here and lots of good surf or snorkeling depends on the coast.
lovely scenery by the coast or even inland .
keep your eyes open you may see baby pasties for sale.
lots of local breweries and cider makers too.
have fun smile and enjoy the adventure.

Am thinking Autumn/winter might not be many sites open in mid/North Cornwall. Will be checking search for sites before we visit, it would be nice for the occasional beach car park Harlyn, Treyarnon and Trevone, only visited on Summer day visits, would be ace for overnight stopping, will sus it out. Make a change from parking up on the old A30 Goss moor and St Dennis Church car park

Thats about all they make now hard job to find a fitty one
One of the 'girls' that used to go the the youth club Jan ran decades ago now owns Cornish Pod, who make some very tasty, decently sized oggies -- if you're ever around on the Rame Peninsula! However, I suspect that they only sell the decently sized ones from their shop next to the Salty Dog café.

The problem is the majority of councllors do see us as a valuable oppurtunity for their or familys campsites
I didn't want to say that, both because it might be misconstrued as politics and also because I've searched and couldn't find a direct connection between councillors and campsites. The crazy thing is that available pitches are like rocking-horse manure for much of the year and so wild camping motorhomers would be increasing the GDP of the region without reducing campsite profits. This is particularly so during the school holidays (when demand massively exceeds supply) and during the winter months (when almost all the campsites are closed, thus massively restricting supply).

Exactly, trying to find an open campsite in Cornwall in winter is impossible. Luckily my sister in law has a very large drive and there are a few good pubs who let campervans stay in return for eating. Otherwise I'd never go there at all.

the butchers in roche make nice pasties.
buy some then head not far away and overlook blackpool pit . it was the deepest open pit in the uk. its now a big water lake.
you can see the sea north and south from the st dennis end of the lake.
lots of great views if your inland up by the old clayhills.
mind these days they could be roche mountains . ha ha .
was just like snowcapped ones before they grassed them over.

buy some then head not far away and overlook blackpool pit . it was the deepest open pit in the uk. its now a big water lake.
They were called the Cornish Alps backalong...

They were called the Cornish Alps backalong...
They still are colloquially!

Having purchased an oggie or two from the butchers in Roche, you might (provided you have a PVC with a lot of ground clearance) wish to head for Helman Tor (GPS 50.420324, -4.729566 to the car park), which has some of the best views over Cornwall (and some of Devon on a clear day). BTW, the access road is narrow and you really need to have a lot of ground clearance to get into the car park -- I grounded a VW Touran there recently! Also, this location isn't a POI and I haven't tried to add it as, beside the restricted access, I'm not sure whether overnighting is permitted.

We've already mentioned that butcher and Cornish Pod. IME other decent sources of oggies are: Malcolm Barnecutt of Bodmin, Chough of Padstow, and Philps of Hayle...

All this talk of Pasties has made me hungry. 40+ years ago there was a family who owned a small building, one half was a butchers, the other a bakers, they started making pasties, these where some of the best I've ever had. Unfortunately they where in great demand and they expanded year on year until they became one of Cornwall's biggest employers then the third generation messed it up and it all went tit's up.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back