Cornwall at it again.

Moonraker 2

Article in the Times today of the battle between van dwellers and home owners.
16428697862913737880609927647616.jpg

Not too bad as articles go. At least they interviewed some van dwellers and highlighted the fact that, for many who work in Cornwall, living full time in a van is the only option.

"All we can do is say Newquay has an absolute abundance of campsite" -- yet it's almost impossible to get a pitch at short notice during the school holidays, so it would seem that the 'absolute abundance' is absolutely inadequate. There's also the issue of cost. I just checked the cost of 5 nights during August at Hendra (one or the largest at Newquay) for a standard electric pitch: £239.25, or £47.85 per night 😲 Even £30 per night is £900 per month, which is more than many mortgages and so campsites just aren't affordable -- particularly for seasonal workers on around national minimum wage.

As for most of these vans going on Campsites they'd not be allowed just have a drive thru Newquay and see the state of a lot of them

I noticed loads of vans all over Cornwall. Too me they looked like abandoned old scrappers that never move but the odd one had a couple of surfboards on the roof. I put it down to the young mob buying £500 vans and off to live there dream nothing bad in that but not right in a town parked outside somebody’s nice hoos.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back