Connecting M/H solar into house circuit?

Alshymer

Hi
I have a 420w home plug in solar system and I am wondering if I can connect my 240w van solar into the home system whilst the van is unused?
Strange request but someone might advise if and how to do it.
Thanks

You would require an inverter to step up voltage to 230, and a cut out 3 way switch to shut the mains incomming to you home.
Also depends on what you want to power, prob fine for home lighting cercuit and c heating burner, plus a tv, but you would require a large battery bank in the van to do so, and lipo4 would be best, not sure its worth the hasstle.

The 4 panels I have are linked to an inverter which is then plugged into the mains. The power produced reduces the input from the grid assuming I am using the power when it is produced.
The inverter will handle up to 900w so I just thought that somehow I could branch the van panels into that system.

The 4 panels I have are linked to an inverter which is then plugged into the mains. The power produced reduces the input from the grid assuming I am using the power when it is produced.
The inverter will handle up to 900w so I just thought that somehow I could branch the van panels into that system.
You can if you do above, if not you may be power the grid witout a isolation switch at the fuse to meter box.

Think you’d be better off with a power bank, such as an EcoFlow/Jackery charge that off the MH solar and use it to charge mobile phones, iPads etc in the house.

You could then also have low wattage items such as a slow cooker, kettle etc, use them in the house off the power bank and also in the MH while away.

240w plumbed into the house will require quite a lot of work and make little or no real difference.

EcoFlow have some great offers on just now, but you need to be a member on their website to get the best deals.

The OP implies a gizmo. If this uses a 13Amp PLUG to connect to the mains circuit it MAY all be that simple and marginally reduce paid for power when in use BUT is it worth the risk ????? For such limited savings.

This is the system I have. Beemenergy.fr
As I live in France it is worth the saving for quite a small outlay.

Attachments

• IMG_3354.png
    IMG_3354.png
    830.9 KB · Views: 20
Yes it's owned by a Canadian company, it's not like it used to be, a lot of the stalwarts are still there, doesn't get many new members that I've noticed, glad that you're still kicking around.

A longstanding member on here had a lot of roof panels on his van. He just fed an extension lead into the house through a window and ran his washing machine and other 240 volt items that way

I did a bodge to get power from my inverter into the vans 240v sockets, a short cable with a 13a plug on each end, they were held in by cable ties and out of sight anyway so no way to unplug without cutting the ties, this was in my self build no a coachbuilt.

I like the simplicity of Maingates method above too.

Here's how I would do it.
Where the home solar panels go into the invertor, I would wire in a lead, at other end of the lead I would fit a Anderson plug, on the van between the panels and controller I would fit a Anderson plug.

Thanks for your replies.
What I was thinking in my technical ignorance was that I could tee into the solar feed down to the Victron regulator in the van and then tee that feed into the house solar panel wiring thereby using the inverter/regulator that is on the house system.
Would that work?

I did a bodge to get power from my inverter into the vans 240v sockets, a short cable with a 13a plug on each end, they were held in by cable ties and out of sight anyway so no way to unplug without cutting the ties, this was in my self build no a coachbuilt.

Known as a death cable, dont do this.

A friend of mine has a lovely burn scar across his hand where someone did that to power up an additional porta cabin on site, without his knowledge.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back