Coniston Sports/football club carpark ?

AdriaTwin

Free Member
Just read an article in MMM mag about a guy walking the Cumbria Way. He overnighted in his van in Coniston, on route, in the Football/sports club carpark and says theres an honesty box for the fees. Has anyone stayed here and if so who to contact and how much per night - any info please ?

Just read an article in MMM mag about a guy walking the Cumbria Way. He overnighted in his van in Coniston, on route, in the Football/sports club carpark and says theres an honesty box for the fees. Has anyone stayed here and if so who to contact and how much per night - any info please ?

There is a pay & Display machine. Access is over a narrow wooden bridge. They allow you to use the toilets in the clubhouse. I believe the charge is about £1.50 per hour or £3 all day. I cannot remember the notice saying anything about opening hours but there were staff in the clubhouse who checked the tickets from time to time.

We were in the Smart car at the time.

There is a pay & Display machine. Access is over a narrow wooden bridge. They allow you to use the toilets in the clubhouse. I believe the charge is about £1.50 per hour or £3 all day. I cannot remember the notice saying anything about opening hours but there were staff in the clubhouse who checked the tickets from time to time.

Thanks John - I've added this to the POI database.

Regards

Chris

Beware

Drove into this carpark 1pm Saturday, nice position on edge of Football field, and paid £3 for a ticket (until midnight) and did notice sign on gate and club said Parking AND camping.
Back from walk about 5pm, and 2 small tents now round perimeter of field. Good even ing in Black Bull (Coniston real ales ) and Sun Inn.
Next morning before 8-30am I opened Van door intending to put another £3 in ticket machine to be greeted by man from Club " I noticed youve been here all night " he says ,"that will be £15 camping fee please and heres the code to use the Toilet/Showers facilities" he said. We dont need any facilities says I , were just parked and intend to stay till lunch time so putting £3 into machine.
No amount of protest could deflect him from his mission and he even gave me a receipt for my £15.
We live and learn - we wont be returning to this spot !

P.S. Chris (canalsman) - perhaps you could delete this from the wild camping list ?

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back