Compost loo for van?

REC

Fairly expensive and currently in US but maybe will get a market in UK. Same size as a chemical loo, maybe an alternative to DIY for the fainthearted.

And they will start dumping down public toilets, they are being banned on the canals because of rubbish collection issues. :unsure:

It IS a great idea, But The Composting process takes ‘Time’ & To my mind That means Multiple Sections for storage & Capacity 🤔.
I hope it Does work Though , it will turn every Lay-by into a Beautiful Fertile Garden 😊
This is very true, but these stages do not take place in a campervan, but in the landfill site which is the ultimate destination.
Maybe better to call it a "dry" toilet. I built one with my limited woodworking skills and I would never go back to a wet toilet, as dry is lighter, cleaner, less smelly and you place the disposal bag in any landfill bin, so no need for black water disposal points.

• Sad
Reactions: REC
Not banned in canals, just not allowed to bin and bag because of collection issues. There are people working hard to get group composting facilities on moorings and one of two moorings are doing this anyway. Most have composting bins on the boat. It actually takes less space than people think. Bin and bag is not a composting system, just a way of collecting. Many people have compost heaps at their base/ home and "take it home". Thought I would expose any faecophobes :ROFLMAO: .
Another shite toilet thread !

We have composting toilets both here in Kent and at our house in France and see no problems why you couldn't have one in the motorhome. May be a problem for full timers but for the odd trip out makes sense just take your waste home for the flower beds 😷 :unsure:

It must be harder for fulltime although I know some who have friends with land who let them make a compost heap ....doesn't take a lot of space and perfectly useable after a year. Our heap stays pretty much the same size as it breaks down and reduces in size. Have one in the van and in Portugal. Hated dealing with chemical toilets and makes "waste" into a resource.

Human & Animal composted Waste has actually been used a fair bit on Land Management.
Canada has Dump through Toilets on sides of Hills that they then Spray & Move The Mobile Toilet block a length or two backwards & Forward at Vantage points on the Tourists trails.
Africa has been doing similar to Then grow fodder for Livestock 🤷🏻‍♂️

After three years ...as NZ says, it has been used for years on land. The bacteria are dead within six months, by a year it is composted if a hot pile, and after two years completely safe ( main risk in that period is "gut worms" which generally are not an issue in UK!) IMG_20210324_111057.jpg

Compost would only be only a problem if any nasty chemicals were used in the process.

The blue/pink chemical toilet liquid they have always sold sell for the majority of the standard moho cassette loos etc. is absolutely horrible stuff and should be banned from use, imo.

They are now making organic alternatives - not sure exactly how organic they are, haven't looked into it (and as an old cynic I rarely trust a lot of manufacturer's claims until investigated fully).

Compost would only be only a problem if any nasty chemicals were used in the process.

The blue/pink chemical toilet liquid they have always sold sell for the majority of the standard moho cassette loos etc. is absolutely horrible stuff and should be banned from use, imo.

They are now making organic alternatives - not sure exactly how organic they are, haven't looked into it (and as an old cynic I rarely trust a lot of manufacturer's claims until investigated fully).
And imho the waste remains just that... "Waste" still tipped into elsan point or ending up in the sewerage system. And in standard loos, waste flushed away by litres of potable water which is a real shame ( not to mention a waste!!) I have spoken to one couple who travel around in their van and bury the bucketful of waste, and cover material, in a deep hole in the woods . Better than emptying toilet
chemicals into the sewerage system?

In reality the "composting starts after the toilet has finished being used as a toilet , so paying megabucks seems a waste as you get the same process effect with one of these and a plastic bag . JMHO :)

Attachments

• 81soB0zKNLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    81soB0zKNLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 80
In reality the "composting starts after the toilet has finished being used as a toilet , so paying megabucks seems a waste as you get the same process effect with one of these and a plastic bag . JMHO :)

Except the mention of the word 'plastic bag' immediately loses credibility for me :):)

Hey, Don’t Knock it Marie,
Dog Poo, Cat Poo from the Litter trey even Baby Nappies all been going in Plastic Bags for Years, It might be quite satisfying to actually put your own in for a change 🤣🤣😊

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back