Comfort insurance poor.

jagmanx

I received my renewal which I thought was too much.

But as I am selling my house..
I have registered my driving licence and v5c at Boatmail.
Dvla perfectly ok
Comfort not so
Because our vehicle is over 10 years old..They will not cover us as full-timers !!!

I await a quote from AIB based on our new circumstances

Still waiting for an AIB quote.
Any other possible insurers please
As in post 1 we use boatmail as our address as we are selling our uk house.
But we are ok with electoral roll

If we cannot get insurance we will have to sell the vehicle !!!

When you leave Comfort, they do not give you your accumulated no claims discount, this was a few years ago, I don't know if they have changed things now, but I will never return to them to find out
Interesting.
As they will no longer insure me...I see it as my right that they communicate with my new insurers.
I will pursue vigorously if necessary including the Ombudsman.
More in due course

I left comfort 4 years ago after being with them for 3 years, I then changed to AIB but comfort did forward me a letter stating I had been with them for 3 years with no claims, when I got the price off AIB they said that the 3 years no claims from comfort did not make any difference to the price so I unwittingly did not forward them the letter from comfort, after being with AIB for 4 years this years premium was way more than last year so shopped about thinking I had 7 years no claims, I asked AIB for proof of this but because I had not forwarded them the letter from comfort at the time even though I still have it they could not give me proof of 7 years, they said they could forward me proof of being with them for 4 years with no claims, we will see if they actually honour this tomorrow when I call them, I ended up going with Lexham a lot cheaper same cover but they need proof of the 4 years no claims this week.
I think the moral of the story is if you move insurer always get a letter proving your no claims then send the letter to your new insurer if they want it or not.

I tried a few for fulltime cover, though I stayed with comfort. They wont take new policies for vehicles over 10 years of age .
before them I used saga who did 365 eu cover but they increased the price too much. Others were nfu ,though phone the louth branch.
Adrian flux, and the rac at the bristol office.
Mine is now 270 days in one trip with comfort for full eu cover with breakdown cover ... we have built a small house so fulltime is no longer needed as we have a postcode.
I also waited for a call back from aib, (though I might have missed it) and never got one.
Cant remember the others .
Some quotes I got were extortionate.....

When you leave Comfort, they do not give you your accumulated no claims discount, this was a few years ago, I don't know if they have changed things now, but I will never return to them to find out
I've moved about and all I did was show the other insurance company the renewal notice each time which included history of no claim.

I tried a few for fulltime cover, though I stayed with comfort. They wont take new policies for vehicles over 10 years of age .
before them I used saga who did 365 eu cover but they increased the price too much. Others were nfu ,though phone the louth branch.
Adrian flux, and the rac at the bristol office.
Mine is now 270 days in one trip with comfort for full eu cover with breakdown cover ... we have built a small house so fulltime is no longer needed as we have a postcode.
I also waited for a call back from aib, (though I might have missed it) and never got one.
Cant remember the others .
Some quotes I got were extortionate.....
Thanks Saga is a possibility.
We only travel for 5 months .....the other 7 months the vehicle os in secure storage.
However that does not seem to help !
Onwards and sideways !

I left comfort 4 years ago after being with them for 3 years, I then changed to AIB but comfort did forward me a letter stating I had been with them for 3 years with no claims, when I got the price off AIB they said that the 3 years no claims from comfort did not make any difference to the price so I unwittingly did not forward them the letter from comfort, after being with AIB for 4 years this years premium was way more than last year so shopped about thinking I had 7 years no claims, I asked AIB for proof of this but because I had not forwarded them the letter from comfort at the time even though I still have it they could not give me proof of 7 years, they said they could forward me proof of being with them for 4 years with no claims, we will see if they actually honour this tomorrow when I call them, I ended up going with Lexham a lot cheaper same cover but they need proof of the 4 years no claims this week.
I think the moral of the story is if you move insurer always get a letter proving your no claims then send the letter to your new insurer if they want it or not.
Just called AIB and asked them to send me proof of no claims in the 4 years I have been with them, sent it to me straight away no problems

Comfort not so
Because our vehicle is over 10 years old..They will not cover us as full-timers !!!
Just re read this ...
before we sold our house many years ago we were with comfort, they told us we now needed fulltime cover as we no longer had a house.. our motorhome at the time was over 10 years old but got told it's ok as we were already with them.
How things change!!!! I'm guessing you are with comfort.

We could be in your predicament at the end of the year as we are thinking of renting out the house and going wandering again...
motorhome is10 years old this year....
We've had to wait 2 years or we have to repay the vat we claimed back on the house build. .its up in November.

I now have a quote from Sterling who accepts the mailing address . My driving licence and v5c use this address as well
My quote is based on the vehicle being in secure storage for 7months over winter.

Just called AIB and asked them to send me proof of no claims in the 4 years I have been with them, sent it to me straight away no problems
From my experience, AIB seem to operate two models depending on the policy and underwriter - one that uses an NCD and accumulates No Claims years; and another that neither uses or accumulates NCD. So it seems to be primarily a function of the insurer and not the brokers?
I switched to cover that used NCD the last year or so to avoid losing my full NCD (think I will double-check this actually just to make sure as renewal is in less than 2 weeks).

Oddly, the proof of the number of years of NCD does not have to relate to how many years you have had no claims on your insurance - It may be lower, it may be higher.
I was with Admiral and had 9 years of NCD when I switched to them (I actually had more years without any claims but my previous insurer had a 9 year cap). the OH had just one year NCD but when she joined Admiral on a multi-car policy with me, Admiral mirrored my NCD to her as a welcome deal. Come the renewal date, we BOTH had 10 years NCD!

I thought they could just refer to the National Insurer's Database which records all your insurances and claims. In any case I keep my renewal notices which include NCBs in a file, on paper, not in "The Clouds" wherever that is!
I am currently with NFU - they gave a good price and the only odd thing was when I changed motorhomes after buying the wrong one, they queried "Why are you changing your motorhome after two months?". I can only think that they think I might be a motor trader swapping vehicles all the time.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back