Col du Tourmalet , Col d'Aspin , Bielsa Tunnel

The scariest thing about coming down from the Col de Tourmelet a couple of years back in our brand new A class was that as we descended slowly and carefully (it was also our first visit to some of the Pyrenees cols), guys on bicycles kept flashing past. They didn’t appear in my mirrors and really were flying.
It transpired that Le Tour was to use the route a couple of weeks later.

Davy

Maybe motorhome brakes should be beefier or ceramic or something. Even when you try and go down in second gear and sometimes even first ours still eventually overheat. Coming down the Col de La Bonette (Roof of Europe) which I think is the highest paved road in Europe heading south I dont think I hardly touched the brakes and came down like a right slow coach but your still dabbing them in the corners and first village we got to I pulled in and the rear wheels were smoking. I think we had come down from about 9000ft+ to about 4500 at that point. Heading south it just goes on for miles and miles though that pass.

Thanks All, it seams smoking brakes are too be expected on these montain passes . A bit scary the first time though !

I often wonder if the quality of the pads makes a difference would we be better off with a quality brand rather than europarts cheap chinese crap.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back