Clermont Ferrand avoiding Paris

alcam

Ferry to Dieppe or Calais . Probably setting off in few days . Making dash for NE Spain then head south .
Travelled via Clermont in winter before and I can remember it being a good road , lots of snow at the time . Just can't remember how I got to CF
Would prefer to avoid Paris (and farmers)

I made this journey a couple of weeks ago.

My route:

Calais
Abbeville
Les Andelys (to avoid Rouen)
Evreux
Chartres
Blois
Chateauroux
Limoges
Tulle
Aurillac
Millau
Beziers
Perpignan

My first stop in Spain was at L'Escala. It's a great place to stop. There's a layby just to the north that's in the POIs as LU L'Escala. Just a couple of hundred yards from the beautiful coast.

Obviously this doesn't take you through Clermont Ferrand but provided you're not in a great hurry it's a very pleasant route.

I took five days to do the journey so four overnight stops. No snow on my trip apart for the first day after some heavy snow in northern France.

Can I ask: did you wild camp for the 4 nights or use aires etc?

i got off newhaven ferry late afternoon so overnighted at yvetot crossed on the pont brotonne thus avoiding Rouen joined the A63 shortly after and used it all the way to poitiers , overnighted nr Ruffec then went down A10 to bordeaux just before lunchtime stopped again at Bidart, crossed into spain first thing mon morning, two days about 9 hrs driving ! this is personal choice but the motorway reduced my time behind the wheel by well over half at a cost of £100 over the two days

Some good suggestions
Don't have a problem with Rouen, think I passed through last year .
My intention is to get to north east Spain as quickly as possible. Will take time coming back up west side

For Clermont, same route as above until Chartres, then Orleans and the A71.

If you don't mind motorway aire, theres a perfectly good one just north of Clermont.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/TUEu5RdwhhVxDqRV7
Makes sense . Canalsman route then yours from Chartres .
No problem with motorway aires depending on time of day may use that . Did stop at Aire in little village south of CF many years ago

I made this journey a couple of weeks ago.

My route:

Calais
Abbeville
Les Andelys (to avoid Rouen)
Evreux
Chartres
Blois
Chateauroux
Limoges
Tulle
Aurillac
Millau
Beziers
Perpignan

My first stop in Spain was at L'Escala. It's a great place to stop. There's a layby just to the north that's in the POIs as LU L'Escala. Just a couple of hundred yards from the beautiful coast.

Obviously this doesn't take you through Clermont Ferrand but provided you're not in a great hurry it's a very pleasant route.

I took five days to do the journey so four overnight stops. No snow on my trip apart for the first day after some heavy snow in northern France.
Very useful , thanks

Don't have a problem with Rouen, think I passed through last year .
Is that through or past? We used to use the 151 as Rouen was always full of traffic, so quicker and cheaper to do that. Plus, the need for a late model van with a Crit-Air of 5 and above to go through now.

Please try to remember Catalonia is quite different to Spain. Different language and culture, even different police in the form of Mossos.
Some of the most accepting of people's, I live here not far from L'Escala.
Not far from there is Latallada with a nice little automatic aire.
In L'Escala there is a water and disposal point close to McDonald's. ( Which you will notice is rarely used!).
The ruins ( Ruïnes d'Empúries) are worth a long visit, as dating back to Greek and then Roman settlement.
Many sites to visit and unique places.
Please enjoy Catalonia

Would prefer to avoid Paris (and farmers)
Might be a good idea
418860743_1162634901771388_3011582937510800799_n.jpg

Please try to remember Catalonia is quite different to Spain. Different language and culture, even different police in the form of Mossos.
Some of the most accepting of people's, I live here not far from L'Escala.
Not far from there is Latallada with a nice little automatic aire.
In L'Escala there is a water and disposal point close to McDonald's. ( Which you will notice is rarely used!).
The ruins ( Ruïnes d'Empúries) are worth a long visit, as dating back to Greek and then Roman settlement.
Many sites to visit and unique places.
Please enjoy Catalonia
There appear to be three parking spaces alongside the service points at L'Escala; are they OK for overnighting?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back