Cleaning out black waste tank

Penny13

So 8 years in and I need to clean out the black waste tank, what have you used ?

To prevent the problem, I pump the cleaning solution from the Fresh tank into the waste when I clean the system.

Only time I had a problem I was in Spain (30C+). The site had a hot tap that was nearly boiling.
A few flushes using the very hot water sorted things out wonderfully!

Many people use cheap home brand Cola as a flushing / cleaning agent.

Thank you him indoors has said it’s the grey waste tank ;) not keen on coke sticky stuff :(

On my first Burstner I used a scraper to get it off the tank walls (quarter inch thick in places :() and a bucket for all the solid gunge. Half filled the bucket it did.

As the remainder slowly worked its way out, often blocking the drain valve, I used to fill with hot water and drain cleaner before heading home. The sloshing about helped clean it.

Black grey what's the difference?, well quite a lot😉.
Now we know you mean grey, i would go with soda crystals in hot water and then a drive to swill it around the tank but there's probably not a lot in between soda and coke.

I regularly swill out the waste tank with any and all of the various solutions people suggest... and I'm certain they work well for the tank itself. My problem is the flexible, ridged pipework that carries the water around and out. I'm sure there must be a mass of built-up gunk in those but don't know what to do about it. Change everything to solid pipes I guess but the system wasn't built that way and I'm guessing the logistics would be tough.

Meanwhile Penny, Coke, soda crystals and proprietary cleaners have all worked for me. Don't be too stingy though... you need to take the van for a run with a pretty full tank to make sure all the inside surfaces get swished clean 💫 😊

Thank you him indoors has said it’s the grey waste tank ;) not keen on coke sticky stuff :(
Coke stickiness isn't a problem.
The way to use coke is
Before leaving home - Close drain waste and put 2 litres of cheap (20p) coke down the plug holes shared about equally.
Drive to destination - this splashes the coke around and removes a lot of the gunge.
At destination - a) Drain waste to get rid of coke and close drain; b) add a couple of litres of clean water (down plug holes) and drain again.

Or, of course, you can use purpose made waste tank cleaner which works out at £2 per clean, not too bad if "him indoors" is worried about coke.

https://www.camping-intl.com/produc...QSLy5ifgfcl3AlGqEqpdiGfP_FBMQsAhoCz80QAvD_BwE

If your going to use coke, you'd be better off with brick cleaner. It's the phosphoric acid that does the trick.

If your going to use coke, you'd be better off with brick cleaner. It's the phosphoric acid that does the trick.
Be careful about the concentration because it is also used to feed the bugs that clean dirty industrial process water. :oops:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back