Cleaning motorhome roof (Wet and Forget?)

barryd

Wet & Forget UK - Moss, Mould, Lichen & Algae Remover

Anyone used it?

Last time I had the van cleaned at the local dealers at Catterick. To be honest I wasnt that impressed. The roof is just impossible to clean. Its greener than its ever been now and the spots on it you would have to hack away at with a chisel to remove them and Ive never found anything that cleans it easily. Not only that but I really struggle to get up there and do it now.

This stuff sounds too good to be true though. It does say it can take weeks or months to fully remove all the algae and stuff but wondered if anyone had used it or could recommend something else maybe. You just spray it on and leave it apparently.

I have used a 50/50 mix of White Vinegar and water on smaller areas but you do need a water hose handy to wash it off after a few minutes. I found the mix seemed to prevent it returning quickly (I presume it kills off the algae).

In your case (after twenty years of bone idle laziness :lol-049:) have you considered the Nuclear option?

I have seen reports and photos from someone who uses it on a PVC roof and reckons it's very good. Haven't tried it on the MH myself yet but I used it on my block paving which had become slippery with a mossy type film on the bricks, and also on clumps of moss on concrete in the garden. It resolved the slippery block paving within 24 hrs and is still OK a year later without having been retreated. The mossy clumps on the concrete took a while longer to yellow and die off, but it did work.

I found on one forum someone said that this stuff was just as good. Wilko Green Gone Super Concentrate Paths and Drives Cleaner 3L | Wilko

Sounds like snake oil to me but both products seem to have pretty much very good reviews. There is the odd one that says it doesnt work but in the main most say it does. Im wondering if I can even get a long sprayer and just aim it out of the bathroom window onto the roof onto the van. I dont even have to go outside then. :dance:

My neighbour is an experienced caravanner and swears by it. He keeps his stored outside - has given me some for my mh roof. He recommends using a face mask and it has to be applied to a dry roof and not rinsed off. I've not tried it as a) my roof is spotless and b) I keep MH stored under my car port which seems to stop anything forming. I have a trailer for motocross bikes which I keep outside - the fibreglass roof was bright green so I washed it with soap and a stiff brush yesterday - came up ok but still algae spots on it - that will be sprayed first - hope it is as good as he says. Bob

Last edited:
Sounds like snake oil to me but both products seem to have pretty much very good reviews. There is the odd one that says it doesnt work but in the main most say it does. Im wondering if I can even get a long sprayer and just aim it out of the bathroom window onto the roof onto the van. I dont even have to go outside then. :dance:

It worked for me, but the mossy clumps did take many weeks to die off completely. As many people these days expect everything to have instant results, I can quite see a number of "it didn't work" comments on that basis.

As for hanging out of the window, that's how I give my solar panels a quick clean with an extending brush if I can't be bothered to get the ladder out and faff about climbing up the sides of the van :)

I've used Muc Off . Comes in pump spray bottle. Leave couple of minutes, agitate with brush on a stick, then gentle hose off or a garden pressure spray.

I found on one forum someone said that this stuff was just as good. Wilko Green Gone Super Concentrate Paths and Drives Cleaner 3L | Wilko

you wouldn't even have to stand up if you chose the right chair

I have never had anything gree growing on the roof of the MH in 10 years.

I wonder if having a powder-coated surface makes a difference? The living organisms do not like the chemical make-up maybe?

Geoff

Thanks for the replies. I checked out the thread on Motorhomer. Sounds positive.

Im not bothered if it takes ages to work, I am just conscious that something needs doing about it long term.

As you can see from the photos below, its pretty grim. Those spots are just impossible to shift but my biggest issue is getting up there and doing it. I might be able to manage to crawl about and spray it as it wont take long but Im officially too heavy to go on the roof (ill just spread out a bit :D ) and my knees are knackered but I think I can manage twenty minutes of spraying.

huddersfield-grate.png

huddersfield-grate.png

I have never had anything gree growing on the roof of the MH in 10 years.

I wonder if having a powder-coated surface makes a difference? The living organisms do not like the chemical make-up maybe?

Geoff

Dont you keep yours undercover though? I sometimes wonder if having ours tightly squeezed with walls on either side makes a difference. Dunno why I think that though.

OK mine is only a LWB Renault Master panel van conversion, but to be honest even though it is parked outside I never have any problems with mould or similar, but I do polish the entire roof every year using waterless wash which is very quick and easy.

Dont you keep yours undercover though? I sometimes wonder if having ours tightly squeezed with walls on either side makes a difference. Dunno why I think that though.

Even here it is not undercover all the time, nor when away touring(remember that?) and stored away. Even our cover is open to the elements at the side and roof is level with a garage roof with trees all around, so leaves blow onto it. Roof is mainly to stop branches falling down on MH.

Still no 'green stuff'

Geoff

The easiest and quickest option is .... stop looking at it ;):lol-049:

In my experience the tendency for the roof to go green is caused by two things.

Firstly parking under trees. I never, ever, park under trees.

Secondly allowing the roof to remain damp. This is exacerbated by the above, by lack of exposure to sun and wind, and by level parking which prevents water run off.

After four years ownership and very few roof washes the roof of my 'van remains clear of any algal growth or moss.

In my experience the tendency for the roof to go green is caused by two things.

Firstly parking under trees. I never, ever, park under trees.

Secondly allowing the roof to remain damp. This is exacerbated by the above, by lack of exposure to sun and wind, and by level parking which prevents water run off.

After four years ownership and very few roof washes the roof of my 'van remains clear of any algal growth or moss.

Could be a contributing factor. It sits there most winters. Its been on the drive pretty much since the end of October and throughout winter there is very little sunshine with it being tucked away between two houses.

Water should run off as its sloped forwards but it does pool in places. I think maybe unless you eradicate the algae altogether perhaps it just grows back I dunno.

I might just add that the inside of the van that Mrs D looks after is pristine. :D

I think that Cillit Bang will shift it, but may remove the roof also. At least, that way the roof won’t go green ever again.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back