Clean water tank

baldeagle690

Hi all

After cleaning an old water tank feeding the sink I'm ready to put it back in. I'm new to this game but remember water going smelly and horrible when I was a kid. After going away the weekend what is the deal with the water tank. It would be a lot of hassle tho remove it and empty it fully, and the pump would never get all of it out. If I didn't use it for a couple of months what would the water be like?
I guess I'm missing something......................

Help

Before you put it back, modify the bottom of it by putting a new drain point in. Usually the drain is on the side near the bottom. Fit the new one on the base and make it a bigger diameter to drain quickly, which will help to flush any rubbish out.;)

I never drain the tanks and in fact fill them right up using potable water when returning from a trip. Occasionally empty the tank and then refill before using it again if it has been a long time.

Exception would be if the tank walls were not light-tight because then algae would probably start growing after a few months.

Even if all water can't be drained, you can always sterilise the tank using plain household bleach, empty and refill from a good supply and you will have no problems.

In Winter, water causes expensive damage to vans. You should always drain down. Sometimes water can remain in small pockets (in the pump or behind a non return valve. This can crack pipework or damage seals.

If I am not using the van for weeks at a time, I do the following:

When you are thinking of having a trip, put about one quarter of a tank of water mixed with Milton sterilising fluid in, have a short drive to slosh it about and pump the mix through the pipes as well when you get back. Drain it off.

Fill again about a quarter full with fresh water, run the clean water through the taps and let the tank slosh about while travelling. Drain it off at the site and fill up. You may get a slight residual flavour of Milton at first but your system is sterilised.

i always use miltons sterilising fluid its great for sterilising your tank and is safe if tank is not flushed out properly unlike bleach.

Not keen on the idea of bleach!!

We used to add Aqua Tabs which are a chlorine based steriliser, but new van has a drain point so now drain down and refill with fresh before going away. A full tank with very little air space is a good option but then you are carring all that weight all the time, and as others have said winter is round the corner so you won't want water in any pipes anywhere!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back