Citroen HY Van. (Andy the Anderson shelter)

hanger18

Hi All
Have been wild camping for 40 odd years. Always preferred small self built, stealth style vans. I have always wanted to combine my 2 passions Hotrodding and kite buggy/surfing. This is my latest creation, Built in 6 months. During a VERY quite Christmas period (Work wise).Most parts including the van were bought via E-Bay.
The old engine and box have been replaced with an Audi A4 1.9 TDI unit. Disc brakes from the Audi were also used. All work (apart from reupholstered front seats ) was carried out by myself.
I must say the public’s reaction to this van has been unbelievable. Smiling faces, waving, looks of disbelief, people flagging me down to talk.. It has been a wonderful experience so far. Even had folks queuing up for tea/coffee when we open the hatch at the beach.
Dave:wave::wave:

My HY BUILD Slideshow by hanger-18 | Photobucket

DSC00048.jpg
DSC00732.jpg

Attachments

• DSC00753.jpg
    DSC00753.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 344
Really love your van. I've always fancied an H van but not the mechanical woes to go with it, this solves that.

Good stuff. Well done getting the van sorted, it looks great.
The red one is a Dutch built one with forward opening doors. Bit off far more then I could chew on that one, eventually sold it to a dealer.
The other one is still a "work in progress", but runs fairly well. Just got to get brakes sorted. lol

Attachments

• IMG_7302.JPG
    IMG_7302.JPG
    240.1 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_6825.JPG
    IMG_6825.JPG
    315 KB · Views: 254
we used to call them 'cochons' especially when 'les flics' drove them !

There was a beautifully (professionally) restored on of these selling teas at the Hereford River Carnival last week.
Yours looks great fun.

Looks great but seems like that was a major job, beyond my skills. Love Citroens had various 2CV, Dyanne, GS, CX but never a van, it's a credit to you.

Thanks for your comments folks

Yes I was exceptionally lucky with my van, these vehicles are renound for there rust. The underside is like brand new. All it needed was a wash down and a coat of black zinc paint.

Good stuff. Well done getting the van sorted, it looks great.
The red one is a Dutch built one with forward opening doors. Bit off far more then I could chew on that one, eventually sold it to a dealer.
The other one is still a "work in progress", but runs fairly well. Just got to get brakes sorted. lol
Your latest HY looks great. I still have all my original brake parts lying around if you need anything. All in working order.

Dave.

Having worked for a Citroen Dealer 1984 to 2004 on and off first spell 10 years, pretty up to speed with the cars of that age, colours specs etc...I was aware of the H van but knew little about it...I am in Love... What a cracking job youve done.

Mid 80's I took a light 15 Traction Avant in px against a BX16trs £1500..it was bought by the owners club for the same money and restored.

BTW the CX gti turbo 2 very under estimated car, best not get too giddy and talking SM's :tongue:

Channa

I've also got a Xantia V6, massively underrated car with less than 100 left in the UK now. What a pity that Citroen have now given up on their wonderful hydraulic suspension and make poorly sprung cars to keep journalists at race tracks sweet.

image.jpg

Some links which may be useful to an H van owner
http://www.citroencarclub.org.uk/drupal/

http://www.2cvgb.co.uk

Last edited:
J'adore the Hy vans. So very nearly pulled the trigger a couple of times when watching them on eBay. One day...

H van

Hi Dave,
I hope my message finds you well.
my name is H Haidar and i am building a Hvan for a charity organisation run.
we are looking to drive across Europe from London to Stockholm this summer serving coffee and french crepes.
the money raised will be going into SOS children villages.
Can you help us ?
many thanks
H

Hi All
Have been wild camping for 40 odd years. Always preferred small self built, stealth style vans. I have always wanted to combine my 2 passions Hotrodding and kite buggy/surfing. This is my latest creation, Built in 6 months. During a VERY quite Christmas period (Work wise).Most parts including the van were bought via E-Bay.
The old engine and box have been replaced with an Audi A4 1.9 TDI unit. Disc brakes from the Audi were also used. All work (apart from reupholstered front seats ) was carried out by myself.
I must say the public’s reaction to this van has been unbelievable. Smiling faces, waving, looks of disbelief, people flagging me down to talk.. It has been a wonderful experience so far. Even had folks queuing up for tea/coffee when we open the hatch at the beach.

View attachment 22468
View attachment 22466

Great work,especially the way you have got the Audi running gear to fit and make it look like it belongs there.

A Company in North Wales rebuilds them and fits Ford engines and drivetrain. They are sold to companies for advertising their products. I saw a couple being done last July when I called in to the factory unit.

It must have been a monster task to fit a modern ecu engine.

Last edited:
Hi All

View attachment 22468
View attachment 22466
that is realy nice, no wonder people stop you

Hi Dave,
I hope my message finds you well.
my name is H Haidar and i am building a Hvan for a charity organisation run.
we are looking to drive across Europe from London to Stockholm this summer serving coffee and french crepes.
the money raised will be going into SOS children villages.
Can you help us ?
many thanks
H

Hi
You dont say how you would like me to help.
Let me know, I'll do what i can.
Dave..

Hi Folks.
Thanks for your comments. I have now had the van on the road for 12 months.
I use it every day. Apart from my hotrods, it’s the only transport I have. Last summer we spent a wonderfully 3 weeks touring the west coast of France. We intended to use Aires but ended up wild camping every evening. The French loved the van, with it attracting a small crowd everywhere we went. I have totally fallen in love with the country and cant wait to return this year. The new mechanicals have been 100% reliable and the camper conversion/lay out, spot on with just a few small tweaks here and there. Off to Wales this weekend kite surfing, fingers crossed..
Dave. :wave:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back