Chinese

Remember Deep Purples live Lp made in Japan. I was a keen photographer and most of us used either Nikon, or Canon equipment, all made in Japan. But even the Japanese have moved some of their manufacturing to China. This iPhone is made in China, China is the workhorse of the planet. But once their standards of living and wages catch up we’re will our stuff be made. I reckon India will eventually replace China.
Victron would agree with you.
1668766634221.png

Most of their stuff seems to be made in India. Some in Vietnam, some Indonesia I think, but don't recall getting anything Victron with a "made in China" sticker?

We have a black leather 3 seater and one of those wide chairs, I like em, they are in perfect condition, Liz wants a new one, but with her it's change for the sake of change, I'm happy with things the way they are and it took a year to pick this one as she procrastinates so much about everything, I just said go out and pick one as I'm fed up of trawling the stores, she got a bit more focussed then.
One of those "wide chairs"? Is she one of those women who insist on 'curling' up her legs on chair?
Wish I knew you were getting shot - took delivery of a 'wide chair' for her indoors a couple of weeks ago after a 10 week order time (not waiting on a slow boat from China, just slow UK workers :) ) at an extortionate price.

PS. Started looking for the chair maybe a year ago!

We're not getting rid David, she just wants to but I'm staying firm on it, I use the big chair anyway, Liz uses the sofa.

It's an Italian make, Sisi Senza, this is the brown one, got no pics of ours or the big seat, but I like it as the arms are great for my mouse, and if we have company they are good seats too.

1668768440892.jpeg

Well as I said its not ours nil points on the mirth.
Those look pretty similar to mine ...
1668778796375.png

This lives in my Loft Studio/Man Cave as it had to make room for the new "wide chair"

I had a very nice 3 seater black leather settee and chair from John Lewis which went into storage after I moved, and by the time the house was done to bring in the furniture, I had paid more in storage fees then the furniture cost! and to make it worse, the wife wanted a different settee anyway. Sold the rather expensive John Lewis set for around £50 :(

My sweetheart (wife, well generally she is) wants a new 3 piece. I recon a skilled refurbisher could make the leather as good as new and stain it to the colour she wants which we can't find anywhere, but no. She wants new even though we are not exactly rolling in it and it is an electric reclining set that still works beautifully. No amount of persuading will change her mind.
Tell her you are taking it to the dump, then get it recovered and brought back as a new one. ;)

Before I was made redundant back in 2010, I spent about 4 years working for an agent of overseas companies.
We found British customers for castings and forgings to be manufactured.
We represented a fair few companies from all over the world.
These included a couple from China, plus India, Turkey, Germany, Italy & Spain.
We are not talking about small companies – the supplier in Spain developed parts for the Mclaren road car, Italy made for the latest aircraft carriers.
Among some of the goods that were made in China were for the motor trade, including the hydraulic jack for the Range Rover. This cost 10% of the sales price to manufacture.
Everything stamped with the range rover part numbers etc. Testing was done in China exactly as it was done here in the UK.
Any failures found here in the uk were replaced – no quibbles.
Most of the quality checks were to the suppliers standards, so it was to the quality the customer wanted.
One of the major suppliers of seals for the oil industry hunted all over the world for the cheapest prices.
Back in 2010, they reckoned that China had only about 15 years left as the cheapest place to get things manufactured.
India was already challenging them, but the reliability in India was still iffy but the Philippines, Cambodia etc were regarded as the next places to go to for low manufacturing costs, especially if you could bring your own inspection regime as well.
As I said – as long as accountants run companies then it won't matter where the goods are manufactured.
Their companies just become assembly plants in reality.

There are still quite a few bespoke manufacturers around today, especially for furniture. Their prices may sound extortionate today (just the same as 42 years ago) but that is for their labour charges and skills at making items from quality materials. I probably paid around 5 times more than if I had bought a 3 piece suite from a shop in 1980. So look at the suite prices in the TV adverts, multiply by 5 and check how a much a top quality suite costs, one that will last for a very long time. I expect it will work out much cheaper in the long run.

Actually, thinking about it, I might get most of my £1,000 back if I advertised mine for sale. :D
I wouldn't advertise it yet Jim, the prices are going up so probably better to sit on it.

Sit on it, isn't that the idea with a sofa?

Tis linked to money,China has large population and low wages so items to cheap to make.Western world,Germany and USA in particular investing heavily in China.Good return on investment.

£3500! As daft as a Linn!

Back in the day I had what was regarded as a very good turntable at a sensible cost - and still made by a British company....

Dual CS505 - think it was around £60.
Did the job perfectly i.e. played records to listen to rather than sitting there trying to identify flaws.
I got it out the loft to try and use it again back in 2007 but the rubber belt had perished and stuck itself to the pulleys. Threw it and gave all my LPs to a niece and just stuck with the CDs.

Hi-Fi snobbery can be akin to Wine Snobbery. The actual enjoyment of the product takes 2nd place to analysing it.
There is a good phrase that can be used when doing many things in life and I reckon is very appropriate to the world of High Fidelity (and Wine for that matter) ... "The Best is the enemy of the Good". The striving for perfection (which is never achieved) stops you enjoying what you started out wanting in the first place.
I always thought Dual were German. (Pretty sure, anyway).

I bought a Sondek (Nirvana/Valhalla, with Ittok and a Grace F9E MC cartridge) back in about 1983 from Sound Advice in Loughborough. It replaced a Rega Planar 3.
Sadly a few years later I had to sell it due to redundancy and needing to replace a boiler.
I replaced it with a secondhand Planar 3, and still have it (although I have replaced the arm with an RB300, and a belt or two, and a capacitor...).
Love that thing.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back