Chilly night tonight

It hhhhhhhhit mmmmminus ttttttwenty hhhhhhere llllllllast nnnnnnnigt...

200w.gif

Remember that Bill although I would have put it at 80 or 81. We had just moved into a new house (Wimpey built!) in Banchory and everything froze solid. The whole new estate was without any water for a few weeks so they had to put standpipes in the street for the few families that had moved in. Luckily as they were still building on the estate the Wimpey guys fixed everything and redid a lot of plumbing for us. I had a Jeep at the time and the temperature gauge seemed accurate enough but Sue’s little Fiat simply read “error”!

I had a week or so at the Craighaar in Dyce but then moved to a house also in Dyce. Everything had frozen and we had to sleep in the kitchen as the cooker was the only heating. Luxury!

I’ve got a set of thermals from Canada a good few year back they are done now the boss keeps trying to bin them and I take them out one of those things that were cheap but now cost a fortune because the yuppie brigade got into the jackets and the brand became popular a set of thermals now cost £200 I got these for £30

I miss my childhood bed. We had a feather mattress over the standard mattress with a feather spread over me. So you made a little nest in the mattress and was all snug until it was time to get up in a room with ice on the inside of the windows and an icy crust on the water glass.

I miss my childhood bed. We had a feather mattress over the standard mattress with a feather spread over me. So you made a little nest in the mattress and was all snug until it was time to get up in a room with ice on the inside of the windows and an icy crust on the water glass.

Eiderdowns, Sam, eiderdowns 🧐 (y)

Can't beat them for warmth.
Cost a blinkin' fortune now!

In Shields there was always someone on the street who laid people out when they died but if someone was lingering the suggestion was it's time to take their feather mattress to speed things up.:cry:

I get to hot in bed as house always at 21c 24/7, did all that cold stuff when a kid and I am never going back to it.
WE had little heating and only a alladin parafin heater on bath days, then gran splashed out and bought lecy blankets, to which my tight grandad went bonkers at what the running cost would be, he left a fortune when he died, whats the point as money is just oil to keep the wheels going round spend it as you go as its not going with you.

I get to hot in bed as house always at 21c 24/7, did all that cold stuff when a kid and I am never going back to it.
WE had little heating and only a alladin parafin heater on bath days, then gran splashed out and bought lecy blankets, to which my tight grandad went bonkers at what the running cost would be, he left a fortune when he died, whats the point as money is just oil to keep the wheels going round spend it as you go as its not going with you.
I clearly remember the pattern on the ceiling made by the paraffin heater (and the ice inside the window!)

I remember the sitting room fire being lit on high days and holidays. the front of my legs burning and a wind blowing around my back.

Ah, those memorable cold draughts, Sam!

Windows and doors weren't sealed or double glazed back then and our house had metal window frames to boot! 🥶
Sitting & dining room were open plan, so the sitting (living?) room fire was always lit every day throughout the winter when it was cold.
Jack frost patterns on the window were part of normal life. You always got dressed under the bedclothes when really cold, or dashed downstairs and got dressed in front of the fire. The only time the coal fires in the upstairs bedrooms were lit was when someone was ill.

I also remember visiting my step grandmother out in the sticks in her small detached farm cottage up near Hexham when I was a kid.
She had two rooms downstairs and a small, scullery-type kitchen off the back.
No bathroom, tin bath stored in the scullery when not in use, separate outside netty a short walk along a path from the back door.

The front room, or 'sitting room' was kept for special occasions.
It had chairs with antimacassars, a sideboard, various prized ornaments and knick-knacks, and a fire that was rarely, if ever, used.

Everything happened in the 'other' sitting room.
It had a massive coal-fired range with an integral oven for baking and cooking.
Provided the only source of heat. Heated all the water for washing etc., and drying wet clothes.
There were various 'swing out' devices for hanging griddles and kettles etc. over the fire.
She always made griddle scones on it with home made jam and home made butter (she kept cows) when we visited. 😋

Quarry tiled floor throughout the downstairs, the only carpeting was hand made clippy mats.
Looking back it was a real slice of history, just like the houses they've recreated at Beamish museum.

Sounds like something out of Dickens, but it was proper cosy and as a kid I absolutely loved it.

Ah, those memorable cold draughts, Sam!

Windows and doors weren't sealed or double glazed back then and our house had metal window frames to boot! 🥶
Sitting & dining room were open plan, so the sitting (living?) room fire was always lit every day throughout the winter when it was cold.
Jack frost patterns on the window were part of normal life. You always got dressed under the bedclothes when really cold, or dashed downstairs and got dressed in front of the fire. The only time the coal fires in the upstairs bedrooms were lit was when someone was ill.

I also remember visiting my step grandmother out in the sticks in her small detached farm cottage up near Hexham when I was a kid.
She had two rooms downstairs and a small, scullery-type kitchen off the back.
No bathroom, tin bath stored in the scullery when not in use, separate outside netty a short walk along a path from the back door.

The front room, or 'sitting room' was kept for special occasions.
It had chairs with antimacassars, a sideboard, various prized ornaments and knick-knacks, and a fire that was rarely, if ever, used.

Everything happened in the 'other' sitting room.
It had a massive coal-fired range with an integral oven for baking and cooking.
Provided the only source of heat. Heated all the water for washing etc., and drying wet clothes.
There were various 'swing out' devices for hanging griddles and kettles etc. over the fire.
She always made griddle scones on it with home made jam and home made butter (she kept cows) when we visited. 😋

Quarry tiled floor throughout the downstairs, the only carpeting was hand made clippy mats.
Looking back it was a real slice of history, just like the houses they've recreated at Beamish museum.

Sounds like something out of Dickens, but it was proper cosy and as a kid I absolutely loved it.

Isn't it amazing how crystal clear those childhood memories are...☺️

I remember a hand mangle in a little tin table in our kitchen, the lid folded back and you then pulled the mangle up straight and engaged the crank handle, the rags were feed in the front and landed on the tin table while the water squeezed out fell into a bucket underneath, it had yellow legs and a white enamal tin top.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back