Chicken...to wash or not ?

jagmanx

We have always and still do wash chicken before cooking (usually marinade and BBQ)

I have recent read that chicken should not be washed ?

I am sure I will get a definitive consensus from those who know !
:beer::beer::beer:

I like to wash chickens under water.

Usually until they stop flapping.

what possible harm can it do if you wash meat before cooking ? the heat of cooking will kill off any bugs left on the surface surely....

Main issue with washing chicken is the splash from washing goes unseen over worktops etc and then lies there propagating and potentially getting onto other surfaces/utensils etc.

I never wash it just make sure it's well cooked through and plenty of spices/chilli etc ;-)

Thanks

Main issue with washing chicken is the splash from washing goes unseen over worktops etc and then lies there propagating and potentially getting onto other surfaces/utensils etc.

I never wash it just make sure it's well cooked through and plenty of spices/chilli etc ;-)

We wash ours over the kitchen sink so that eliminates/seriously reduces the potential of propagation.

Spices yes Pepper Coriander Turmeric Garlic (Ok are these herbs or spices ?)
Always well cooked by "butterflying" thick pieces

We have always and still do wash chicken before cooking (usually marinade and BBQ)

I have recent read that chicken should not be washed ?

I am sure I will get a definitive consensus from those who know !
:beer::beer::beer:

Well, I KNOW .... that it is recommended NOT to wash chicken

But then again I also KNOW that butter is bad for you and that butter is good for you, from the same type of sources of advice, so what do I KNOW? :D

I don't bother cooking raw chicken, it can cause more problems than it cures. Good practice in fridges to avoid contamination of other foodstuffs is sufficient.

As others have mentioned proper cooking will kill any nasties. Thereabout that causes a problem people overcook the meat becomes dry, loses flavour.

In professional kitchens , I have always used meat thermometers to ensure things are properly cooked, Of course you can do it to the touch and visually etc ,,,but keeps the EHO happy, Meat thermometers are not expensive and worthwhile to have at home , especially for big bird i.e turkeys at Christmas

Channa

I don't bother cooking raw chicken, it can cause more problems than it cures. Good practice in fridges to avoid contamination of other foodstuffs is sufficient.

Channa

I know just an innocent typo, but that has really made my day. Thank you.

Also, sorry, not sorry. ;)

washing chicken is pointless and can spread bacteria, which cooking will sort out

Thanks to all

Sometimes chicken kept in a box in the fridge can smell a bit.

So I will continue to wash carefully (to avoid splashing onto worksurfaces etc)

Cooking it has always been done properly usually over a moderate BBQ or in a wok.

As I posted earlier we often marinade it !

Wash chicken

Some times fresh chicken will discolour in a shop fridge if not sold on the day so it gets dusted with flour to make it look nice ( not good for coeliacs) eating flour & not knowing it

Sometimes chicken kept in a box in the fridge can smell a bit.

So I will continue to wash carefully (to avoid splashing onto worksurfaces etc)

Cooking it has always been done properly usually over a moderate BBQ or in a wok.

I usually rinse in water and vinegar if it gets a bit smelly, otherwise I try to handle it as little as possible.

I usually rinse in water and vinegar if it gets a bit smelly, otherwise I try to handle it as little as possible.

Ooer, Susan---really !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bet it smarts a bit too :rockroll::rockroll:

We have seen the staff at an Asian butchers rinsing the chickens at the back of the shop, needless to say we don't buy from them
This is a good seasoning for chicken
[ATTACH =CONFIG]58246._xfImport[/ATTACH]

Work it out

Well, I KNOW .... that it is recommended NOT to wash chicken

But then again I also KNOW that butter is bad for you and that butter is good for you, from the same type of sources of advice, so what do I KNOW? :D

The chicken washing issue is easy to work out; you don't need to be a food scientist, unlike with the butter issue.

If you don't wash the chicken the bacteria will remain on the chicken (to be killed in the oven) with some making their way on to your hands if you touch the chicken. When you wash your hands some bacteria will make their way on to the sink area through splashing.

If you wash the chicken the splashing increases the number of bacteria that will make their way on to the sink area.

Then it is all about numbers; lots of bacteria means a big risk to health, fewer bacteria educate the body's defences.

Although washing chicken has been safe in the past the bad bacteria numbers were much lower. These days through intense breeding there is not much chicken around that is free of bad bacteria therefore the risk from washing has increased.

Just a laymans view.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back