Chicken Pasander with a twist ....really happy alittle different

Channa

A little dish tbh cooked at home but no reason it cant be done in the van ...one big pot, a frying pan for chappati or Naan .... to go a bit further you could use a basmati rice, it is surprising ly filling

Slowly getting back into the kitchen lark, tonights offering a Chicken Pasander with a twist , i add toasted almonds and sultanas but thought i would add some apple too and tomatoes ...with the chicken the sweetness really cut through the spices a real tasty meal..tastiest i have cooked in a long time ...spice wise real subtle ginger garlic coriander and cumin real chilli x 3 to keep a balance. the whole kaboodle coated in dessicated coconut .....just tried a little cold ....begging to be on a soft sandwich tomorrow forget freezing single cream for the sauce onions and capsicums gently fried off in butter rather than oil 10 seconds before the end fresh coriander giving a lovely fragrance and lightness tothe dish

I served with a naan but chipatti or rice would work

pasander 001.jpg

Channa

A little dish tbh cooked at home but no reason it cant be done in the van ...one big pot, a frying pan for chappati or Naan .... to go a bit further you could use a basmati rice, it is surprising ly filling

Slowly getting back into the kitchen lark, tonights offering a Chicken Pasander with a twist , i add toasted almonds and sultanas but thought i would add some apple too and tomatoes ...with the chicken the sweetness really cut through the spices a real tasty meal..tastiest i have cooked in a long time ...spice wise real subtle ginger garlic coriander and cumin real chilli x 3 to keep a balance. the whole kaboodle coated in dessicated coconut .....just tried a little cold ....begging to be on a soft sandwich tomorrow forget freezing single cream for the sauce onions and capsicums gently fried off in butter rather than oil 10 seconds before the end fresh coriander giving a lovely fragrance and lightness tothe dish

I served with a naan but chipatti or rice would work

View attachment 38321

Channa

Come on - we need the recipe for this - approximate quantities and ingredients and method of cooking please :)

Hi.
Serprize, Serprize, went out for a meal last night to the local Indian at El Faro, Fuengirola, and had a pander with fried rice, yummy yummy:tongue::tongue::cheers:.
Ken

Come on - we need the recipe for this - approximate quantities and ingredients and method of cooking please :)

I got that excited forgot that part !!

So I got four large portions with this mix

1 lb of chicken breast diced
almonds whole or flaked ( I prefer a mix of both for good reason)
1 packet of dessicated coconut
butter ghee or oil
single cream large ish tub
two large onions
3 fresh green chillies
1 heaped teaspoon of ground coriander/ ground cumin and 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric
1 desert spoon of ginger and garlic paste. alternatively a coupl ecloves of garlic finely chopped and inch of root ginger given the same treatment.
Garam masala.
5 whole tomatoes
1 bunch of Fresh Coriander.
1 large capsicum pepper I prefer green for some inexplicable reason.
1 packet of sultanas (traditionally Green)
The Channa twist to sweet eating apples

I think thats it !! looks a lot but a lot of the spices etc enough left over to repeat the meal !! and cook a lot of other dishes :D

Pasander is a Northern India/ Pakastani Mogul dish and recipes vary, Garam masala for example varies household to household recipes passed from mother to daughter over the generation ...Masala is a misunderstood word it actually means spice mix. And on that note you can play about to your individual taste. Pasander itself means favourite.

This dish was passed to me by a Pakastani pal of mine around 20 years ago and is typical of what is eaten at home not the take away offerings.

If you have friends who say they don't like indian food this is the one to cook dont say its Indian I guarantee they will want the recipe by the end of the night.

Method

1 finely dice and chop the onion.
2 In a large frying pan or skillet dry fry the whole almonds alternatively toast under a grill. do the flaked at the same time reserve the flaked for part of the finishing garnish
3) in the skillet add a good knob of butter/ghee or oil if you prefer add the onion on a medium heat( first opportunity to do your thing I often add cloves peppercorns and whole cumin seeds to the oil until they pop season the oil )
4) add a chopped pepper to the onion add finely chopped chillies and continue to fry until soft or better still golden. ( brings out the sugar in the onion)
5)when the onions very close to how you want it add the garlic and the ginger paste ...give it minute to cook off and brown a little
6) add the chicken and cook until sealed and still succulent
7) when the chicken is nicely sealed and taking a bit of colour add the ground coriander / cumin Turmeric and a 1/2 tsp of salt stir for a minute or so . spices cook an ddon't burn otherwise a very bitter taste !!
8) Add th echopped apple cored ,and sultanas...to taste really but I like a good handful
9) give the masala now a good sprinkle of dessicated coconut really go to town ...be careful it cooks for a minute and doesnt burn !! stir like a mad person...the dish will be really dry at this point ..
10) add the Fresh cream and stir...you can use Yoghurt if you wish This is a Pakistani idea of a gravy :wacko:...
11) add 3 of the chopped tomatoes, th eother two add later if you want different texture.

At this stage a glug of wine ...talking of which half a glass of white wine in the dish is a nice touch too. but not necessary tis nice tho

12 )cover and simmer for 20 minutes...remove a piece of the chicken and ensure it is cooked through still be succulent !!.

13) add 1/2 a teaspoon of the garam masala..give a stir, add the freshly chopped coriander for 10-15 seconds ..done and serve

Rice chappati roti all good and can be used in a seperate pan ...serve on aplate add the toasted flaked almonds, a a little chopped coriander garnish and enjoy

Channa

P>S let me know what you think to all the recipes I post ...

Cheers, Channa. :)

We cook curries from scratch and use the recipes from Mamtas kitchen Mamta's Kitchen

The madras is so simple and goes down really, really well when we make it for the gangs of people we occasionally invite around! My fav is the dansak - bit more faffy but worth it!

Real curries have a freshness and vibrancy that is rarely found in your bog-standard local indian restaurant.

Cheers, Channa. :)

We cook curries from scratch and use the recipes from Mamtas kitchen Mamta's Kitchen

The madras is so simple and goes down really, really well when we make it for the gangs of people we occasionally invite around! My fav is the dansak - bit more faffy but worth it!

Real curries have a freshness and vibrancy that is rarely found in your bog-standard local indian restaurant.
only way to do it is from scratch ..allows playing about to taste..Idea is you taste all the spices ...not overpower with chilli ...I learnt that in India !!

Thanks for the link I shall have a perusal..

Here is one for you a vindaloo !!! a real vindaloo that really seperates fact from fiction..a top Goan chef with Gary Rhodes sharing the real deal Gary's reaction priceless you can see he is seriously impressed
I have made this and it is top drawer stunning and surprising.

Vindaloo - Curry Recipes - Gary Rhodes - YouTube

I have a very good Hindu friend of Indian African background and she shared this link all veggie stuff, a bit of East Africa and India in one pot ...superb website for the breads etc .....
This will keep you out of trouble for a while
K.O Rasoi | Indo-Vegetarian and East African Recipes

tell me what you think ...!!! we need a foody weekend ?

Channa

Gary is completely amazed! We'll try the vindaloo after seeing that :)
Out local Asian supermarket has fruit and vegetables I don't recognise - looks like the link you gave will have recipes for some of those.

Great idea about the foodie weekend :)

to prove it can be done in the van

Earlier tonight cooked in the van .....Pasander

pasander.jpg

Having a bit of an Asian week plenty of garlic ginger and herbs to ward off the germs

Channa

I've just recently got a bit into Indian cookery and have basically been scanning youtube etc but I did see this lady on some late night tv (food Channel) I think it was makes everything seem dead easy and explains simple methods etc worth a look https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...s.html&usg=AFQjCNGVwdJahb2vAkb0gpBD_GN8hIHElw another I've been watching on youtube is Als Kitchen, all good for Ideas and some really nice dishes favorite so far has to be Butter Chicken served with a Pilau rice.
How To Make Butter Chicken At Home | Restaurant Style Recipe | The Bombay Chef – Varun Inamdar - YouTube

Last edited:
I've just recently got a bit into Indian cookery and have basically been scanning youtube etc but I did see this lady on some late night tv (food Channel) I think it was makes everything seem dead easy and explains simple methods etc worth a look https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...s.html&usg=AFQjCNGVwdJahb2vAkb0gpBD_GN8hIHElw another I've been watching on youtube is Als Kitchen, all good for Ideas and some really nice dishes favorite so far has to be Butter Chicken served with a Pilau rice.
How To Make Butter Chicken At Home | Restaurant Style Recipe | The Bombay Chef – Varun Inamdar - YouTube

What a fascinating and informative link, many thanks

What a fascinating and informative link, many thanks

You're welcome, I think a lot of people get put off even trying to cook asian / indian food when they see a huge list of ingredients so anyone offering up a simplified alternative and taking the time to explain things like Nisha does has got to be worth watching, there are some pretty good videos over on youtube, i've been scanning quite a few the last few nights and making a few notes along the way and gathering up a few more spices for the stores.

You're welcome, I think a lot of people get put off even trying to cook asian / indian food when they see a huge list of ingredients so anyone offering up a simplified alternative and taking the time to explain things like Nisha does has got to be worth watching, there are some pretty good videos over on youtube, i've been scanning quite a few the last few nights and making a few notes along the way and gathering up a few more spices for the stores.

I have quoted this link before, but I think Sanjana the girl that writes it is really top of her game. The word Rasoi is Guajarati for cooking. All the recipes are vegiterian and embrace Indian and East African influence from the colonial days.

Recipes of course are a guideline so nothing to stop from playing about and adding meat. Although I have to say some of the veggie options are stunning.

Good advice on breads, one or two slow cooker recipes.

I am familiar with Al;s Kitchen and he is very good, cooks very authentic.

Happy Cooking

Channa

I have quoted this link before, but I think Sanjana the girl that writes it is really top of her game. The word Rasoi is Guajarati for cooking. All the recipes are vegiterian and embrace Indian and East African influence from the colonial days.

Recipes of course are a guideline so nothing to stop from playing about and adding meat. Although I have to say some of the veggie options are stunning.

Good advice on breads, one or two slow cooker recipes.

I am familiar with Al;s Kitchen and he is very good, cooks very authentic.

Happy Cooking

Channa

Cheers for the link I'll take a look I like my meat but not opposed to cooking vegi dishes, when we do eat out the Mrs nearly always go's for the vegi options and I can normally pick out the one she will choose so no harm in me cooking it for her occasionally.

Sorry channa but to me it looks like dog sick,where the devil do you buy ingredients as never seen any of it here except in tesco freezers.
Thanks Trev :banana: I buy most of my ingredients locally I live in an area with a large Asian population so never really a problem. You pay through the nose but Tesco do stock the ingredients, Best I send you a food parcel :eek:

Just for you something a bit more conventional, plying me trade

smoked.jpg

Channa

We're trying Morrocan at the moment Andy.

Tonight Julie cooked a Lamb Tagine with Cous Cous and garnished with pickled Chillies and preserved Lemons. It was spectacular!

I love a Lamb Tagine.

Of all places Ikea do a great tagine. the base is deeper and nonstick, compared to a traditional tagine.
31U18O5kP0L._SY300_.jpg
Excellent for other dishes like Chicken Basque, one of my favourate camper dishes.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back