Chicken Balti

Channa

Birminghams finest (allegedly) and a one pot wonder ...play about with it to your own taste....the ASIANS love it ...how cool is that ?

001.jpg

Channa

We want the recipe,if you do I will let you into a secret about haggis,even c/v Annie couldn't catch one!

Ok I am getting forgetful in my advancing years ....so here is the recipe

Take the recipe as a guideline, add or subtract ingredients to your taste.What I love about this , is there is no preservatives, colourings or dreaded e numbers so absolutely as fresh as it gets.

Firstly I took a large onion and chopped finely and set it off in rapeseed oil, rapeseed oil doesn't taint at high temps like olive oil.. you can use Olive oil/Veg oil but just takes longer..

Sweat off the onions so they are caramelised ..add a touch of salt to draw out the moisture..

slice 4 cloves of garlic or to taste (finely) and finely chopped ginger add to the onions and let fry off until cooked.

I added three chopped chillies at this stage..seeds included...(again to taste)

two tomatoes finely sliced add to the mix

I added to chicken breasts diced,,,let them stir fry in the onion mix until pretty much sealed and almost cooked.

I then added my spices

i/2 teaspoon of gram masala
3/4 tsp of chilli ( remember you have real chilli in there so cut back to a 1/4 if you dont like it too hot
1/4 tsp of Turmeric..(this is not one to go overboard with for it is quite pungent and will overpower)
A quarter handful of kasoori Methi (dried Fenugreek) A little tip with this rub between the palms of your hands It makes a finer powder and adds more flavour....It brings out the oils
1 dessert spoon of dried coriander powder and Cumin powder (half and half)

let the spices cook off for a minute ...then add up to a cup and a half of water but add a bit at a time so you dont want it too runny..I like fresh coriander so added a good chopped handfull at this stage... add more salt at this stage ot taste if you wish

Continue to cook on a low/medium heat until the chicken is cooked thoroughly.

5 mins before the end ish I add another couple of chopped tomatoes so they par cook and add sweetness to the dish .

Once it is cooked, and served garnish with a bit more fresh coriander and a chilli finely chopped over the dish ....for company serve with rice , naan brads or chappati ...the breads cook in a dry frying pan ..Asian people use a taha which is like a frying pan but no sides...

You can really play around with this to your and guests tastes... you can substitute chicken for lamb and beef ..

bon appetit

Channa

Last edited by a moderator:
Balti Chicken

Ingredients
1 tbsp groundnut oil
½ tsp mustard seeds crushed
1 onion chopped
1 ½ tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1tsp tumeric
1 green chilli chopped
4 whole cardamom pods split
1 garlic clove grated
1 cm piece ginger grated
2 chicken breasts cut into pieces
1 tsp sugar
250ml chicken stock
salt
1 tsp tomato puree
1 bay leaf
1 tsp garam masala
2 tbsp fresh coriander chopped
1 large tomato sliced

Method
Heat the oil in a pan. When hot add the mustard seeds and fry for 30 seconds on high heat. Add the onion and cook for 3-5 minutes on medium heat until soft. Now add the coriander, ground cumin, cinnamon, ground cloves, tumeric, green chilli, cardamom pods, garlic and ginger and stir in. Cook for 5 minutes on medium heat ensuring that they don't burn.

Add the chicken pieces and sugar and stir to coat thouroughly. Cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes until chicken is browned.

Add chicken stock, salt, tomato puree and a bay leaf to the pan and cook on low heat for 25 minutes.

Add garam masala, fresh coriander and tomato, then cook on low heat for 3 minutes. Serve with naan or rice.

Very similar technique and proves my point do what you prefer...recipes are really a very loose template.

Seasoning oil is common in Asian cooking, Use of stock rather than water equally valid ...it i snot li emaking a Diane sauce where there is an accepted correct way .
Channa

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back