Cherbourg

myvanwy

Over the years, we have tended to cross the water via the tunnel thanks to the Tesco vouchers. Due to the hassle with M25 and such like decided to do the Poole -Cherbourg crossing at the end of the month. Can anyone answer this please...is the French border control in Poole or Cherbourg? Had a quick google earth for Poole and can only see the kiosks for checking in and then drive right onto ferry.

Over the years, we have tended to cross the water via the tunnel thanks to the Tesco vouchers. Due to the hassle with M25 and such like decided to do the Poole -Cherbourg crossing at the end of the month. Can anyone answer this please...is the French border control in Poole or Cherbourg? Had a quick google earth for Poole and can only see the kiosks for checking in and then drive right onto ferry.
Isn't Google earth often a few years old?

Street view has the date on it (2019) but I think the overhead is updated quite regular?

My experience is Dublin to Cherbourg which is obviously slightly different, however there are both Douane and Border control booths in Cherbourg. Our irish passports get checked and scanned (ireland is non Schengen) although we generally get waved through customs (single market). Same on return leg.

If you opt to arrive in Cherbourg, might I suggest as you exit the docks that you follow the by pass N13 around the town rather negotiate through the town which a satnav May suggest.

There is a fairly large Aire in Cherbourg near the citie de la mer if you wish to park up and explore or for your return trip. We have parked there but not overnighted.

Davy

I use that route regularly. French border control is in Cherbourg.

My experience is Dublin to Cherbourg which is obviously slightly different, however there are both Douane and Border control booths in Cherbourg. Our irish passports get checked and scanned (ireland is non Schengen) although we generally get waved through customs (single market). Same on return leg.

If you opt to arrive in Cherbourg, might I suggest as you exit the docks that you follow the by pass N13 around the town rather negotiate through the town which a satnav May suggest.

There is a fairly large Aire in Cherbourg near the citie de la mer if you wish to park up and explore or for your return trip. We have parked there but not overnighted.

Davy
The air has facilties if you need water, etc. It is a handy stop but it does fill up. There is a large car park next door and a visit to the submarine is interesting. About a 20 minute walk into central Cherbourg.

There is another parking area about 1 mile to the east of the port exit without services and we have used that in the past as it is quieter with more space.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back