check your van insurance

wigan pier

:( I or should i say we had our van stolen 3 weeks ago it was found 4 days later burned out after everthing took out it was stolen off the drive while we were at work one night they some how got the keys wich where hung up 15 feet away from front door ( known as fishing) the insurance wont pay out as the van was driven away with the keys so now were payin for a van we aint got for the next 3 years:mad: check your policy please.

Last edited:
wigan pier said:
:( I or should i say we had our van stolen 3 weeks ago it was found 4 days later burned out after everthing took out it was stolen off the drive while we were at work one night they some how got the keys wich where hung up 15 feet away from front door ( known as fishing) the insurance wont pay out as the van was driven away with the keys so now were payin for a van we aint got for the next 3 years:mad: check your policy please.
Sorry to hear that, but I would recommend that you get a good solicitor and take the insurance company to court.:eek:
I think you would win!:D :)

:mad:
wigan pier said:

Im sorry to here that but the insurance should pay something.

What do you have to do put your keys in your bedroom:mad: :mad:

yeh right have been to C A B with letter from ins they say due to keys been used that we did not do enough to sercure keys wot do they want us to do use the night safe at the bank i thought that been in a locked alarmd house was good enough.

Dont give in

wigan pier said:
yeh right have been to C A B with letter from ins they say due to keys been used that we did not do enough to sercure keys wot do they want us to do use the night safe at the bank i thought that been in a locked alarmd house was good enough.
I think you will find that they are trying it on!!!!!:eek:
See a good solicitor and take advice, not much to loose, but I most definately think you will win and without going to court.
Once they know you will not drop it, I think they will pay out:D
Good luck!

yeh they think we had somthing to do with it but i was 250 miles away in scotland with a tacograph to prove and my mrs works in a sercure unit as a nurse and would have to sign out this is wot you get after paying ins for 30 years and not claiming:confused:

cipro said:
:mad:

Im sorry to here that but the insurance should pay something.

What do you have to do put your keys in your bedroom:mad: :mad:

We do actually take all our keys to our bedroom. Years ago a work colleague said that you should take your keys to bed in case there is a fire so you don't have to fumble around for them in the dark. They are on my bedside table. I do feel like a jailer sometimes!:) ;) .

Intrigued....

Just wondered which insurers you were with? I had my car stollen in Jan, same thing although I'd left my keys near the door (silly me) they drove it away 3.30 am while we were all asleep upstairs, I got a full pay out after 8 weeks, but that was car insurance not motorhome. Does that make a difference?

Like Graham/***** said. They must pay out. Take it further. See a lawyer and get your 20 minutes of free advice. Insurance companies are crooks. I was first offered £7000, for my MH, I refused, their final offer was £11000. I took it to complaints and got another offer of £15000, which I excepted, although I wanted £17000. I could have gone on further to the Ombudsman, but decided against it. Go for it and best of luck.

That is ridiculous. Get a solicitor on the case, they are taking the wee wee.

The advise I have been given from inside is THREATEN them with the ombudsman:eek: . As they are fined by the ombudsman for wasting time:D , they will make an offer.

Unfortunately the small print does say "Signs of a forced entry".
Distance and cercomstance does not play a part as could have been arranged before hand. I am NOT suggesting it was but thats the way they look at it.

All our worst nightmare. Good luck.

David & Ann said:
Like Graham/***** said. They must pay out. Take it further. See a lawyer and get your 20 minutes of free advice. Insurance companies are crooks. I was first offered £7000, for my MH, I refused, their final offer was £11000. I took it to complaints and got another offer of £15000, which I excepted, although I wanted £17000. I could have gone on further to the Ombudsman, but decided against it. Go for it and best of luck.

hi david,
not a bad outcome just for standing your ground and not giving in to the robbing ba**ards ;) . i wondered what had happened. at least dick turpin wore a mask.:D

john.

i keep ma van a couple o' miles away from the hoose, and i keep my keys well hidden oot the road..

Last edited:
dont accept what your insurance company say tell them you took all reasonable steps to ensure your m home was secure it is not your fault that someone entered your property without your permission even though they did not enter your house phisicaly they still entered your home buy extention i think thats what they call it if my memory serves me well they still took your keys without your authority that can to me come under taking without legal authority twla hope this helps hope you are ok good luck insurance is a minefield but unfortunatly we have to have it do not give in to them please keep us up to date

My keys to my car were stolen and the car taken about 10 years ago. I got the car back but needed a lots of repair work. the insurance fully paid up, but this was before taking the keys was so popular and I had reported everything to the police.

wigan pier said:
are you sure they understand the keys were in your house and not the van, 15ft from the front door you would have thought 'safe' if they are working on the basis of the keys being stolen and used to take the van then i am sure no one else would want to use that company who are they? i would certainly take the advice many are giving follow the complaints procedure then go to the ombudsman the embarrasment at the very least may alter their point of view
regards tony and lynn

update on insurance

:) hi thanks for all you replys and help in the situation i have been in,good news after 25 phone calls 10 emails and 2 visits to my home a full payout plus 35%reduction on my next premium thanks again:D :D

wigan pier said:
:) hi thanks for all you replys and help in the situation i have been in,good news after 25 phone calls 10 emails and 2 visits to my home a full payout plus 35%reduction on my next premium thanks again:D :D
glad it all worked out ok

wigan pier said:
that's great news obviously they realise they got it wrong:D

Excellent result! That's great news! Well done for not giving in to them, I think they just try it on sometimes to avoid paying out! :mad:

Tony :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back