Cheap toolkit

I’ve been an HGV mechanic since I left school and have used all sorts and makes of tools. Snap on and Britool are the only two I would rely on and Snap on are far superior to use everyday. The customer service and proper lifetime warranty is second to none but agree for the average kerbside mechanic Halfords tools are a good buy.
6F68B6DB-C375-4802-AAEF-B3C50B765FF4.jpeg
BA129366-B59A-42D0-BD29-C5761C97EA5B.jpeg

Measurements are so culturally ingrained. We all talk about mpg, when was the last time we could buy a gallon of fuel? Many folk still see their weight in stones and pounds. Apparently hard drugs are sold in grams and soft drugs in ounces....
for most us we can only visualise land in acres, what is a hectare anyway? I thought it was a dog off the telly.... would you know your waist measurement in centimetres?

Some measures are truly international. Tyre sizes are in inches. Then of course aviation, all aircraft fly at feet etc. I’m sure there must be many more examples with marine measurements.

Measurements are so culturally ingrained. We all talk about mpg, when was the last time we could buy a gallon of fuel? Many folk still see their weight in stones and pounds. Apparently hard drugs are sold in grams and soft drugs in ounces....
for most us we can only visualise land in acres, what is a hectare anyway? I thought it was a dog off the telly.... would you know your waist measurement in centimetres?

Some measures are truly international. Tyre sizes are in inches. Then of course aviation, all aircraft fly at feet etc. I’m sure there must be many more examples with marine measurements.
Fathoms as in depth and chains & knots also, no wonder my brains are fried.

I always had a collection of cheap spanners.

When you need to put a 'set' in a spanner or cut one down .... you would never do that to a good'un.

I still have spanners I was given at the start of my apprenticeship in 1963, some of them are not even chromed (Snail brand). :eek:
They have been flogged with hammers, had pipe used with them for extra leverage, you name it. Still, this thread is a change to grey water and SOGs. ;)
That beats me. I obtained mine from House of Holland using Green Shield Stamps around 1966.

The case is rusty and one clip doesn't work, a socket is broken, and the pin to reverse the ratchet fell out years ago. The right place for it is the tip......

But I'll never pull another engine of a car, so I guess it's the only one I'll ever own. :)

Only a few weeks ago I bought 20 gallons of red dispensed from a gallons fuel pump. At a garage local to me.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back