Cheap Solar Panels

Your panel looks higher than normal.
Normally I don’t reckon wind deflectors are required, especially for panels up to 120w.
When you look at the shape of a PVC at the front, most of the air will rise well above the roof ensuring a lower drag coefficient, and better fuel economy.
But even though I have a lot of faith in the adhesive I used, (sikaflex 554) I would have used mechanical fitting for panels that size. The consequences of a solar panel coming of a roof could be serious. But that’s just my opinion.

Wind noise as much as anything Bill.

I won't fit one though until I've driven the van with the panels fitted.

My panels are high as I can tilt them upto about 90% if I wish + I have 6 rivnuts on each fixing + Sikaflex

Attachments

• IMG_0805.JPG
    IMG_0805.JPG
    349 KB · Views: 17
Your panel looks higher than normal.
Normally I don’t reckon wind deflectors are required, especially for panels up to 120w.
When you look at the shape of a PVC at the front, most of the air will rise well above the roof ensuring a lower drag coefficient, and better fuel economy.
But even though I have a lot of faith in the adhesive I used, (sikaflex 554) I would have used mechanical fitting for panels that size. The consequences of a solar panel coming of a roof could be serious. But that’s just my opinion.
I would concur:) A panel that size with the lift generated underneath and relying on adhesion to a paint that is know to just peel off by itself... Scary.

I think one of those "Hazardous Load" plates need to be fitted on the rear of the van to warn anyone behind ;)

I would concur:) A panel that size with the lift generated underneath and relying on adhesion to a paint that is know to just peel off by itself... Scary.

I think one of those "Hazardous Load" plates need to be fitted on the rear of the van to warn anyone behind ;)
Depends on how long the angle used as brackets is.

We are not talking about mine van David its on Tompas van

If I do end up changing to a big panel I will probably get some ally angle, each long side have a meter length bolted to panel but glued to the room then shorter angles on the shorter sides. That would give a lot more stick by surface area than my current panels have

Back