Cheap Lithium Batteries

As PWM Solar Controllers go, that is in principle quite a nice one.

However (always a 'however' ;) ), if you go by their own installation guidelines, it is essentially unsuitable for a Motorhome with a common -ve between the starter and the leisure battery - which is what you will have as if you didn't the Sargent unit would not work :D

Thanks. Not sure what that means. It's definitely working though.

For the DIYers, adventurous and the thrifty, Fogstar have various cells at really competitive prices.
305Ah £70
280Ah £65
A set of 4 to make a 12V Battery comes complete with copper connection bars.
Add a 200A BMS at £100 and you've got a 305Ah battery for less than £400.
They say they are grade b ?? But they state their AH rate and say they supply them matched and give 3500 cycles with a 80% discharge, way more than the average camper will manage in a lifetime.
These are grade B cells which means they will not be as good as grade A cells.

These are grade B cells which means they will not be as good as grade A cells.
I mentioned they were B grade in the first post Phil but as I said I'm not sure of the real word significance.
1, They are being sold as X Ah so they need to fulfil that description.
2, They are being sold as matched.
In what way and to what extent would you expect them to be inferior to a grade A cell Phill?
If they have the capacity and are matched I can't think of a big issue but would appreciate your input of course.👍

Maybe, maybe not? But bulging is caused by essentially over charging and trying to extract every last half a percentage of capacity and they're not described as used.
But if they give the correct Ah, 3500 cycles and are matched what's wrong with a bulge?
Anyway, I've got quite a bulge around my middle Jeff, don't judge mate 🤣

Maybe, maybe not? But bulging is caused by essentially over charging and trying to extract every last half a percentage of capacity and they're not described as used.
But if they give the correct Ah, 3500 cycles and are matched what's wrong with a bulge?
Anyway, I've got quite a bulge around my middle Jeff, don't judge mate 🤣
this is something that seems to be lacking on the Fogstar site from what I could see? you can get cells, you can get a BMS but nothing to contain the bulge, i.e. a Case to put the cells and BMS in?

this is something that seems to be lacking on the Fogstar site from what I could see? you can get cells, you can get a BMS but nothing to contain the bulge, i.e. a Case to put the cells and BMS in?
Didn't you build a lithium battery way back David? Assuming you did what did you wrap em up in?

I'm thinking that a major advantage of a self built battery has to be the freedom to position the cells so as to build the battery to a shape that better suits your space, for that reason I don't think I'd bother with a conventional plastic case, too much wasted space internally too. I think it'd be a simple plywood box lined with a couple of layers of the underlay they fit under laminate flooring.

There seemed to be a bit of a price war 9 months to a year ago, then things relaxed for a while but lately prices are continually dropping, first with the 'no names' and then the bigger players having to follow suit in order for them to hang onto their share of the market. Don't know where it will stop? Wouldn't be surprised to see £1/ Ah in a couple of years time.
It's said that the Chinese are borrowing money, over producing and flooding the market, supposedly to corner the world market before hiking prices because they can because they're the sole source. I've no idea if that's fact or a myth or what the little guy be should do but I've gone for it and I'm seriously looking into solar and a lithium power wall IN our next house, one currently works out at about 3 years payback but if battery prices fall then so will the in payback time.
The problem with solar and wind farms is the unpredictably of power, a humongous battery store to serve the country wouldn't be practical but if every house had it's own large battery then storage would be far easier, it's probably what we'll see in the future.
It’s absolute madness for static buildings, just scrap the wind farms and solar farms, build some nuclear power stations and grow crops in the fields again.

It’s absolute madness for static buildings, just scrap the wind farms and solar farms, build some nuclear power stations and grow crops in the fields again.
No thank you untill they sort fusion out.
hiroshima.jpg

If you want to pay the horrendous cost of nuclear fine, but I doubt many want their electric bills to consume their entire weekly budget.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back