I certainly do not expect my fiver to
end up languishing in an icelandic bank along side
the other £250,000,000 in charities accounts :( :mad:

next time I feel charitable,
I'll maybe go into McDonalds,
buy a quarter pounder with large fries (as they say!) :eek:
and hand it to the first beggar I pass in the street :D

No more truthful words spoken here!

RNLI have money to run for ten years without further donations, animal charity's some of the richest in the country with funds to last much more than ten years!

what's the capital of Iceland? around £4.50.....:rolleyes:

joking aside though, it is worrying that charities have enough money to invest, let alone invest abroad (have you seen the headquarters of the RSPCA, very plush). The same goes for local goverment too... I agree whole heartedly with sundown, and next time I feel charitable I'll buy my kids some sweets ;) or something chrome for me van:D

on a lighter note, I don't know how much money the dogs trust have, but we just paid the going rate of £75 for a dog from them yesterday - poor things only got one eye and we didn't even get a discount for that!! :D:D:D:D

We have just bought our puppy last week, looked at the local dog charity's, they want £150 and home vist you have wait weeks for!

My partner's Mum & Dad had to give their cat to a cat's home earlier this year because of health reasons, they took £50 off pensioners in their eighties!

yes it certainly makes you wonder who is getting our donations to all these charities, and where does it go to. we have a r.s.p.c.a bin in one of our shops so i usualy drop a tin or two in that at least then i know that they are not going to invest them.

We have just bought our puppy last week, looked at the local dog charity's, they want £150 and home vist you have wait weeks for!

My partner's Mum & Dad had to give their cat to a cat's home earlier this year because of health reasons, they took £50 off pensioners in their eighties!

that's quite shocking, £150 for an unwanted dog :eek::eek:
it only took a week from choosing ours to bringing her home, and she did come with food and 6 weeks insurance, so maybe we got a bargain for our £75!:p

and £50 to take the cat is a bit unfair too!

felt charitable earlier today, so bought the kids a Mcd's, and the dog a bone;)

yes charity starts at home a bit of a shame really, but when you give you do not really know who is getting the money. best bet is to buy something then walk into the nearest hospice or whatever and give them it at least then you know the real people have got it .

Since I read an article in the newspapers I have stopped giving to Charities. It is known that only 10 percent goes to the poor and needy. The rest, 75 percent is for adminastration and so on. Even the Charity are on to a big thing. Everything thy get is free. Nowadays there prices are not far of from buying from a shop. My sister in law helps out in one. She says staff do not get a cent for their time. Only Managers. These Managers control half a dozen shops in their area. I wonder where the money goes to.

Since I read an article in the newspapers I have stopped giving to Charities. It is known that only 10 percent goes to the poor and needy. The rest, 75 percent is for adminastration and so on. Even the Charity are on to a big thing. Everything thy get is free. Nowadays there prices are not far of from buying from a shop. My sister in law helps out in one. She says staff do not get a cent for their time. Only Managers. These Managers control half a dozen shops in their area. I wonder where the money goes to.

Not in my pocket David, I'm innocent, swear it .....:rolleyes:

Charity

I would not put every charity as bad, I belonged to the Lions for many years and know a 100% goes to good causes, 'Nowt taken out'. I have been involved with others that take enormous sums out for 'admin'.

When I was in business in the Midlands we had phone calls almost daily from the charity's and asked for funds they would send someone round right away to collect!

Thankfully we gave up on our 'Dog Homes' and brought ourselves a nice Basset Hound, just hope we survive the dreadded puppy period!

Anyway I think we may have to send the Bank of England any spare cash at this rate, we might aswell, Brown will take it anyway to pay for his latest 'cock up'!

well i stopped quite a while ago giving to charities as most of the donation goes to the wrong people, also if i give i want it to be spent on british charities there is too much poverty in this country at the moment lets sort that out, then concentrate on abroad. after all charity starts at home

National Charities

Regret to say many years ago there was publicity about Guide Dogs for the Blind where they wouldn't touch their millions of capital and the newly blind had years to wait for a dog.

When they give figures about cost of training each dog they include overheads - gigantic - to give an inflated price.

Don't know if it's the same now but it put me off national charities for good.

As previous writer mentioned give your spare cash to local deserving causes.

BW

Charity

One aspect of the national charity that is distasteful is their intentions to influence the public and goverment opinion. For example, the NSPPC have got the public so afraid of the small problem of child molesters, relatively speaking, that a child in trouble will be ignored by adults in fear!

RSPCA are now influencing legilation and applying the Law, both beyond the remit of a 'charity'!

Cats Protection League!

It was the CPL that opened my eyes!!!!

£11.2 MILLION in Icelandic account!!! Is that their only savings account???

This has been a REAL eye opener, I appreciate that the likes of the RNLI need to save for some time as a lifeboat is no cheap purchase, and a new lifeboat station is now well over £1m but £11.2m for cats... I don't think so, and at 7.1% I doubt if they could spend the interest!!!!

Certainly makes you think long and hard doesnt it.
I became very cynical of a lot of charities a few years ago when it became fashionable to donate at the drop of a hat, I know nothing of the regulations that are in place to keep an eye on them and have no faith at all in many of them doing what they purport to actually do. What also worried me was the fact that whatever they actually send is then controlled and plundered by those in charge of the country to where aid is sent.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back